mtbr member

EMD 9 Sizing Advice

Looking at building up a EMD 9. I am 5"10.5 and at a healthy 185lbs. All my recent bikes have been in the large category (Turner 5 spot, Spez Stumpy, Ventana FS). I typically like my ride to feel a longer and less cramped. The EMD 9 large looks to have a slightly longer virtual top tube then my other larges.

Curious to know if there is any one with my similar height and what size of Niner do you ride and how does it feel?

Thanks
    Ventana El Bastardo 650B
    Spez Comp Carbon 29er
    Turner 5 Spot
    Giant NRS1
    Super V
    ProFlex
    IronHorse

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    I ride a L Sir 9. The seat and head tube angles are slightly different, but the top tube and seat tube measurements are almost the same. I'm the same height and have a 32" inseam. I like the feel of my large. A M would leave me feeling cramped. Having said that, I don't leave the ground and don't need a flickable bike. The L is imble enough for me.

mtbr member
    Sep 2010
    I have a EMD 9 and Jet 9 and both are mediums. I'm 5' 10", 185 with a 32" inseam. They both fit me perfectly.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by whitet777 View Post
    I have a EMD 9 and Jet 9 and both are mediums. I'm 5' 10", 185 with a 32" inseam. They both fit me perfectly.
    I am just under 5'10" and rode a medium EMD till I moved to a Jet 9. Fit was perfect.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    I'm 5 9 1/2 with 33 inseam. I just got my EMD yesterday in a medium. It has a 90 mm stem on it and it feels really good to me. But I like my bikes a little bit tighter feeling. Measuring from the middle of the handlebar to the middle of the seat post my 'cockpit' measures out to about 26 1/2". If you measure your cockpit area that should give you some idea of how stretched out you will be.

mtbr member
    Looks like med is most popular. The niners seem to have the longest VTT out of all the frames I am looking at. Based on the raw measurments I would go with med but all my Med bikes in the past felt too cramped. Plus I wear size large shirt and undies. The word Med just dosn't sound right. Guess I should go test ride a few.

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
    Ventana El Bastardo 650B
    Spez Comp Carbon 29er
    Turner 5 Spot
    Giant NRS1
    Super V
    ProFlex
    IronHorse

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    I am 5' 10.5" tall, 32" inseam, and 185. I went though this uncertainty when buying my first air 9. I went with a medium and it was just right for me. I subsequently owned a One9 and it was a medium and now a couple of years later am building an emd 9 which is also a medium. Your bike will have some post exposed, but with the sloping top tube design it's to be expected.

The seat tube length is not critical anyway (within reason), but the top tube length and riding compartment definitely are. I do not like being cramped, but I am also not a fan of riding a bigger frame than necessary as I like to keep the bike as light and agile as possible. I try and use a measurement using an imaginary line directly between my bars and middle of saddle. I know that regardless of the bike I am on I need that distance to be around 27.75- 28" to put me in the comfort zone. I measured my new emd yesterday and with a zero setback post and 110 mm stem I am at 28". I can drop my stem length to 100mm and still be comfortable.

I realize that all of this is very personal and each person is going to interpret the way a bike fits differently, but if you have other bikes that fit you well use those as a reference for that bar-saddle distance and that will help you make your choice. Hopefully some of this info will help.
    Last edited by N10S; 11-24-2012 at 08:42 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post
    ...and now a couple of years later am building an emd 9 which is also a medium. ...

... I try and use a measurement using an imaginary line directly between my bars and middle of saddle. I know that regardless of the bike I am on I need that distance to be around 27.75- 28" to put me in the comfort zone. I measured my new emd yesterday and with a zero setback post and 110 mm stem I am at 28". I can drop my stem length to 100mm and still be comfortable.
    Just to clarify for the OP are you measuring to the middle of your seat or to the middle of the seat post? I ask because the seat can be slid forward and backward and can throw off measurements. If you measure from middle of the seatpost to the middle of the handlebars at the stem you will get a more consistent measurement of the 'cockpit' At least that is what I did. With my medium EMD (2011 round tube)I measured 26.5 with the 90mm stem. With a 110mm stem I would expect the cockpit to measure closer to 27.3. So I am a little surprised that yours measured out at 28". Unless you have your seat slid back on the rails and are measuring from the seat position and not the post position.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Fargo1 View Post
    Just to clarify for the OP are you measuring to the middle of your seat or to the middle of the seat post? I ask because the seat can be slid forward and backward and can throw off measurements. If you measure from middle of the seatpost to the middle of the handlebars at the stem you will get a more consistent measurement of the 'cockpit' At least that is what I did. With my medium EMD (2011 round tube)I measured 26.5 with the 90mm stem. With a 110mm stem I would expect the cockpit to measure closer to 27.3. So I am a little surprised that yours measured out at 28". Unless you have your seat slid back on the rails and are measuring from the seat position and not the post position.
    You made me run back out in the cold tonight and remeasure.

I measure from top of the middle of the saddle. If I measure directly above the center of the post (considering the post angle) you are right it's not 28" but right at 27.75".

mtbr member
    Sep 2004

I measure from top of the middle of the saddle. If I measure directly above the center of the post (considering the post angle) you are right it's not 28" but right at 27.75".

mtbr member
    I typically look at the advertised horizontal VTT when comparing different models. My past large 26er bikes have all had VTT's right at 23.5. I am finding most the large 29er HT's all have VTT's of 24+. Niners are right around 24.5.
    Ventana El Bastardo 650B
    Spez Comp Carbon 29er
    Turner 5 Spot
    Giant NRS1
    Super V
    ProFlex
    IronHorse

mtbr member
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S View Post

Yeah, I use an imaginary line to extend the seat post up to where it would be level with the bars. Then measure to the middle of the post. Your still a little longer than I calculated it would be based on mine. Maybe I need to go out in the cold and measure mine again. Do you have the new hydroformed frame? I wonder if they are the same dimensions as the old ones.

Eitherway, it should help the OP as the 1/2" difference we are talking about could be adjusted with stems or seat setback if necessary. Although, if he really likes being stretched out I can see why he might want a large. Especially if he likes the quick reaction of a short stem. But if he measures his "cockpit" size he should have a good idea of where this gets him. Either of us could measure again or other areas if he wants us to.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Yeah, I use an imaginary line to extend the seat post up to where it would be level with the bars. Then measure to the middle of the post. Your still a little longer than I calculated it would be based on mine. Maybe I need to go out in the cold and measure mine again. Do you have the new hydroformed frame? I wonder if they are the same dimensions as the old ones.

Eitherway, it should help the OP as the 1/2" difference we are talking about could be adjusted with stems or seat setback if necessary. Although, if he really likes being stretched out I can see why he might want a large. Especially if he likes the quick reaction of a short stem. But if he measures his "cockpit" size he should have a good idea of where this gets him. Either of us could measure again or other areas if he wants us to.
    Mine is the old style frame and not the new one. Not sure if the specs are the same with the hydroformed version either. I agree with you on the stem factor as the shorter stem does make it steer a bit quicker. I think the OP could go either way but in the end if he checks his other bikes he will get a good feel for what his need are based on current preferences.