mtbr member

Don't make my mistake

If you have a jet9 RDO and ever take the lower linkage apart be aware that the tq specs on the pivot bolts are often marked incorrectly as 6 NM. It should be 9NM as stated here on Page 31. https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf

I had taken those bolts off yesterday to install the new shift kit. I put it back together and did 6NM (since that was clearly written on the bolt). I also used blue loctite. I took it for a ride today and 30 min in I heard my chain making this odd sound. I stopped and looked down and the pivot bolt fell to the ground. It worked its way all the way out really fast. I usually have headphones on, so I was really lucky to hear it. Also, I was about to hit an aggressive section and I hate to think what would have happened with only one side of that linkage connected. I was lucky to catch it.

6NM seemed really loose, so I looked it up and noticed that they state it is a mistake on many of the bolts. I also did red loctite this time just to be sure.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    I lost a pivot bolt shortly after getting my bike last Spring. It just fell out on the trail somewhere. Niner got me rolling with a new one very quickly but the overnight shipping was something like $50(!) Shortly after they changed the torque spec. from 6 to 9nm. So yeah -- keep an eye on these bolts!

mtbr member
    Good headsup! I put together my RDO this month and did happen to read all the instructions from the Niner Encyclopedia. Thank God I came across that info as well! I had to unbolt the lower linkage to get the new housing kit installed and did torque it back to the correct specs. Pretty looking bolts...perhaps Niner should send us all new bolts with the correct torque settings?!

mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Re: Don't make my mistake

Easy to remember. Right torque is 6 up side down

Verstuurd van mijn Galaxy Nexus met Tapatalk