mtbr member
    Feb 2012

Dilemma...please help

I currently own a 2012 RIP9. I've read so much good things being written about the new RIP9 alloy and also the new RS Pike. Problem is, I can only afford buying one of these. In your opinion, which of these 2 would be best?

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Muzzanic?

mtbr member
    Aug 2013
    Hi FireSpitter. I have not ridden any Rip but the current Airform bike. My bike is a medium 3-Star w/ the 140mm Pike.

I think to really answer this question, people would need to know what fork your currently riding. I'm guessing that if your riding a 32mm fork, the fork may change the ride more than the frame. If your riding a 34mm fork, the it may be a wash.

Before I jumped into this bike (3-Star build), I asked many questions and Muzzanic (as well as others) did offer up some advise. The way I read it, the Pike was one of the most significant upgrades to performance that could be purchased. Pike > Wheels > carbon frame. Given that the 2012 seems to have a very similar frame geo, I would guess the Pike is probably going to change ride characteristics more than a frame upgrade but only if your current fork is the 32mm flavor.

Since our bikes seem to be ever evolving, I think I would opt for the Pike. Then when a carbon frame becomes available you'll be all set for the next jump.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes need to know what fork you are running now.

The pike is a game changer IMO.

Even the new X Fusion Trace 34 is a very good fork & better IMO than the Fox 34 & RS Revelation's.

If I had a lot of climbing I would go for the new frame, If you live of the ruff trails I would go Pike 1st.

Hope this helps.

Tell us more about what sort of ridding you like most.

mtbr member

Dilemma...please help

As others have said, it depends what fork you're riding now. My 2 cents, though, is that there's a big difference between the 2012 and current RIP, having owned both. I had time with a Fox 34 on both before ultimately going with the Pike, and the new frame is a little bit better at everything, which adds up. I'd say the biggest difference is climbing, though. It's a bit lighter, but feels way more efficient somehow.

I've got a 150 Pike on my RIP, which is 3mm longer than the Fox 34, once you factor in sag. It's absolutely fearless downhill and climbs just as well as when I had the Fox, which is to say significantly better than the 2012.

I would agree with High and Muzz - if you have something similar and want a better climber, go with the frame. If you have a 32mm fork and want a more capable descender, get the Pike.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies!! I appreciate that!

Sorry for missing out on the most important part of the evaulation. My fork is a 2012, Fox Float 120 RLC FIT. From most of the replies, it seems that the fork seems to be the best bet since it's replacing the skinny & short old Fox although I did take note of something which says 2013 frame = better climbing, something which I am always suffering from due to the lack of physical fitness.

The local trail here is a mixture of punishing (At least to me) climbs & gnarly descents/rock gardens.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by FireSpitter View Post
    Hi all,

Thanks for the replies!! I appreciate that!

Sorry for missing out on the most important part of the evaulation. My fork is a 2012, Fox Float 120 RLC FIT. From most of the replies, it seems that the fork seems to be the best bet since it's replacing the skinny & short old Fox although I did take note of something which says 2013 frame = better climbing, something which I am always suffering from due to the lack of physical fitness.

The local trail here is a mixture of punishing (At least to me) climbs & gnarly descents/rock gardens.
    You have some tuff calls to make.

I wouldn't really want a 120mm on the front of a new Rip9 for what I like to ride.

I guess you could also look at buying the frame & keeping an eye out for a cheap deal on a fork over time.

mtbr member

Dilemma...please help

I'll sell you my RIP frame for $1500, if you're looking to save a few hundred to get into both.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    You have some tuff calls to make.

I wouldn't really want a 120mm on the front of a new Rip9 for what I like to ride.

I guess you could also look at buying the frame & keeping an eye out for a cheap deal on a fork over time.
    Ooops! Once again I forgot the important piece of information. Mine's only 32mm. So that makes it the prime candidate for upgrade?

Quote Originally Posted by kragu View Post
    I'll sell you my RIP frame for $1500, if you're looking to save a few hundred to get into both.
    That's a nice offer. What's your size and where are you based?

mtbr member

Dilemma...please help

Medium, Southern California.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Medium, Southern California.
    I fit only into smalls

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Hi all,

I thought I'd add in my input and share in case someone faces the same dilemma as I did. I went ahead and bought the 140mm Pike. World of difference compared to my 32FOX Float. I'm glad I chose the Rockshox fork as my choice upgrade.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Hi all,

I thought I'd add in my input and share in case someone faces the same dilemma as I did. I went ahead and bought the 140mm Pike. World of difference compared to my 32FOX Float. I'm glad I chose the Rockshox fork as my choice upgrade.
    Cool that you got it sorted, It's always hard to make a call like that.

However you couldn't have got it far wrong no matter what way you went.

mtbr member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Cool that you got it sorted, It's always hard to make a call like that.

However you couldn't have got it far wrong no matter what way you went.
    Thanks Muzzanic.... your advice had a lot of influence over my buying decision, especially the phrase "I wouldn't really want a 120mm on the front of a new Rip9 for what I like to ride." LOL....

Niner's are the best!
    Apr 2012
    Kragu I pm u on buying the frame. What color? What condition? Ready to buy if your willing to sell!

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Hi all,

Probably the wise bet. The older RIP 9 frames ride just fine, and an upgrade to the Pike can only make it better. Ride the hell out of what you got, and then maybe in a little while, you'll be able to move to the new frame, or carbon if that's your thing.