Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Did I make a mistake with J9RDO? Should I have gone RIP9?

Thanks ahead of time for those who read and respond.

Last year I demoed the RIP last year. I'm 5'7" and I demoed a Medium. 140MM fork but I don't know the stem length. I recall it being pretty short. I really liked the bike a lot. It rode up well, down well and was able to maneuver tight up and downhill sections with ease. By tight, I don't mean narrow, I mean making tight radius turns.

I was sold on a Niner RIP and planned to buy one in 2013

FFWD to present. Positive reviews, a great deal, the lust and weight factor of carbon combined with similar enough geometry as the RIP9 pulled me into the Jet9 RDO Vortex.

I set up my medium J9RDO with 120MM RS Revelation, 70MM 0˚ stem and 685MM Easton Monkey Bars. SR Black Flag Pro wheels with Nobby Nic 2.25 set up tubeless.

I do not find the bike to ride anything like I recall the RIP9 riding. I repeatedly oversteer on tight radius turns and find the front end to be twitchy at speed. I don't feel like I can carve a turn at all whereas I remember that distinct feeling on the RIP9. I have a tough time on tight corners unless I nail the angle and approach perfectly and on uphill turns if my weight is not far enough forward I regularly pull the front wheel off the ground blowing my momentum. Bottom line, I find this bike unforgiving unless I am riding really, really well.

I don't want to give up on the bike, but I also don't want to thrash the frame and decrease its value if I give it up. This bike is set up much nicer and probably 5lbs or more lighter than the RIP9 I demoed. It is more a race set up for sure. Is that what I am feeling?

What should I do to help this bike ride better for me? 2.35 tires? longer stem with rise/decline? Wider bar? Would a dropper post give me more stability at speed on the downhill? Does a 1˚ steeper head tube (& seat tube) really make that much of a difference? For the first time in my life I feel like I over spec'd a bike for my abilities. Maybe I want an easier ride?

I know a few of you know the J9RDO and the RIP9 well....Am I feeling what you felt with the two frames?

mtbr member
    Man, I rail corners on my Jet 9 RDO better than I have have. Tight corners are no issue what-so-ever.

I'm not as comfortable downhill as I was on my ASR5 but I am using a 100mm fork. I bet I would be ok with a 120mm. Keeping messing with the set up, I bet you will get it worked out.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

You loved the trail bike. Bought the race bike and find it quicker, and "nervous"?
    Who'd a thunk?
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I know, right, Shiggy?

Let me try again.

I live and ride in VT. I actually thought the RDO would be a benefit to where I live with trails that are tight, turny, rooty and hills more punchy and quick than the hero groomers out west. So, I felt the quicker steeper angles and shorter TT & wheelbase of the RDO would help me make some of these turns easier than the RIP9. I'm not finding that.

So, I don't think it's my expectations that the bike is not exactly like the RIP, but that it is not better at what I expected it to be better at: tight turns both at low and medium speeds. Honestly, I expected it to turn on a dime, but not overturn so easily.

Carbon & Ti rule
    1st up don't panic, The bike is great when setup right.

I know the Rip9's & the Jet9 RDO well.

I will need more info, But at a guess it sounds like you have the rear shock air pressure to low & maybe the tyre pressures to high.

What height are you ?
    What seat height do you run ?
    What size frame did you go for ?
    What size was the Rip9 you tested ?
    What tyre pressures do you run ?
    How much do you weigh ?
    What shock pressures are you using ?

With the picking up the front wheel on climbs, This is an area that I have found the Rip9 Alloy not to be as good as the Jet9 RDO.

The old Rip9 alloy sinks into its travel more on steep climbs & feels like the weight pivots around the middle of the bike were as the Jet9 RDO setup right feels like it pivots around the back axle.

I'm 6 ft, 180 lb Ride a large frame on all 2012 Rip9 alloy, Rip9 RDO & Jet9RDO.

I run my seat at 800mm from the centre of the cranks to the top of the seat Inline with the seat post, So found a dropper seat post helps me a lot.

I can ride med or lge but have found on many bikes that it is much easyer for me to keep the front wheel on the ground on steep climbs.

Most of the time I run 24-25 lb in rear tyre & 20 lb front, I do find that the Nobby nic on the front will wash out easyer than a Hans Dumpf.

Please take the time to post up the info so I can try to help you, Because IMO the Jet9 RDO is a far better bike for you than the old Rip9 in most of the area's you talk about ( If you have the right size bike,)

Carbon & Ti rule
    These are the reasons I would have talked you into a Jet9 RDO.

Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    I know, right, Shiggy?

Let me try again.

I live and ride in VT. I actually thought the RDO would be a benefit to where I live with trails that are tight, turny, rooty and hills more punchy and quick than the hero groomers out west. So, I felt the quicker steeper angles and shorter TT & wheelbase of the RDO would help me make some of these turns easier than the RIP9. I'm not finding that.

So, I don't think it's my expectations that the bike is not exactly like the RIP, but that it is not better at what I expected it to be better at: tight turns both at low and medium speeds. Honestly, I expected it to turn on a dime, but not overturn so easily.

Nouveau Retrogrouch SuperModerator

I know, right, Shiggy?

Let me try again.

I repeat: you liked how well the RIP did in tight turns and thought quicker would be even better?

I like quick, reactive bikes. It does take a different riding style to use effectively. I also abhor short stems as they usually make the front end vague and floaty.
    mtbtires.com
    The trouble with common sense is it is no longer common

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    1st up don't panic, The bike is great when setup right.

I know the Rip9's & the Jet9 RDO well.

I will need more info, But at a guess it sounds like you have the rear shock air pressure to low & maybe the tyre pressures to high.

What height are you ?
    What seat height do you run ?
    What size frame did you go for ?
    What size was the Rip9 you tested ?
    What tyre pressures do you run ?
    How much do you weigh ?
    What shock pressures are you using ?

With the picking up the front wheel on climbs, This is an area that I have found the Rip9 Alloy not to be as good as the Jet9 RDO.

The old Rip9 alloy sinks into its travel more on steep climbs & feels like the weight pivots around the middle of the bike were as the Jet9 RDO setup right feels like it pivots around the back axle.

I'm 6 ft, 180 lb Ride a large frame on all 2012 Rip9 alloy, Rip9 RDO & Jet9RDO.

I run my seat at 800mm from the centre of the cranks to the top of the seat Inline with the seat post, So found a dropper seat post helps me a lot.

I can ride med or lge but have found on many bikes that it is much easyer for me to keep the front wheel on the ground on steep climbs.

Most of the time I run 24-25 lb in rear tyre & 20 lb front, I do find that the Nobby nic on the front will wash out easyer than a Hans Dumpf.

Please take the time to post up the info so I can try to help you, Because IMO the Jet9 RDO is a far better bike for you than the old Rip9 in most of the area's you talk about ( If you have the right size bike,)
    Thanks so much Muzz...I really appreciate the time you're giving to the Niner forum. I've learned a lot.

What height are you ? 5'7" or 170cm
    What seat height do you run ? 27.5" or 698.5mm...this is maxed out for my leg length. It is comfortable, no stress on my knees, good full extension and stroke
    What size frame did you go for? Medium...struggled with this as I am in the middle of sm/md, but figured the shorter TT and the fact I liked the medium RIP I would be OK. It feels OK height and reach wise.
    What size was the Rip9 you tested ? Medium...never felt big to me
    What tyre pressures do you run ? 18psi
    How much do you weigh ? 165 lbs
    What shock pressures are you using ? Rear 140psi, front compression 140psi, Rebound 130psi

Your point about where the bikes turn is interesting. I'll pay attention to that tomorrow and see if I can sense that. I would think that might be due to the shorter TT and the body being more rear on the RDO maybe?

I had read the Hans Dampf on the front was a better choice....Thanks for bringing that up.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Most of it looks good, I would spend quite a bit of time playing with the rear shock setup, Because I'm sure this is the key to getting your climbing sorted out.

Most of the times it pays to take small steps with shock setups but you maybe better to go to far 1st & then work backwards.

Try putting 170 lb in the rear shock & see how much that changes the climbing for you, Also set up the rear shock with harder bump setting.

Thanks so much Muzz...I really appreciate the time you're giving to the Niner forum. I've learned a lot.

What height are you ? 5'7" or 170cm
    What seat height do you run ? 27.5" or 698.5mm...this is maxed out for my leg length. It is comfortable, no stress on my knees, good full extension and stroke
    What size frame did you go for? Medium...struggled with this as I am in the middle of sm/md, but figured the shorter TT and the fact I liked the medium RIP I would be OK. It feels OK height and reach wise.
    What size was the Rip9 you tested ? Medium...never felt big to me
    What tyre pressures do you run ? 18psi
    How much do you weigh ? 165 lbs
    What shock pressures are you using ? Rear 140psi, front compression 140psi, Rebound 130psi

Your point about where the bikes turn is interesting. I'll pay attention to that tomorrow and see if I can sense that. I would think that might be due to the shorter TT and the body being more rear on the RDO maybe?

I had read the Hans Dampf on the front was a better choice....Thanks for bringing that up.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
    I repeat: you liked how well the RIP did in tight turns and thought quicker would be even better?

I like quick, reactive bikes. It does take a different riding style to use effectively. I also abhor short stems as they usually make the front end vague and floaty.
    I'm going with Shiggy on this one - both on the bike choice comment and the stem length comment.

My RIP is my go to, every day comfort and bike that puts a huge on my face . Plush. Fun. Dependable. Everything you mention you experienced when you test rode one would have convinced me.

The JET I use for racing - and that's only on the weekend. But mine is not the RDO. It's the alloy.

You could monkey around with your RDO, and you could also go take another test ride on a RIP to see if you feel the same about it now as when you did the test ride and after riding the JET RDO. It wouldn't hurt to compare again...

mtbr member
    Apr 2006

I think its your axle to crown

Had jet 9 rdo and it handled and turned great with 120 fox 520 ac.Stem was a 90mm 685 bar.Switched to a rip rdo and could not get that same in control feel. Sold it bought a jet 9 carbon waiting on 2014 float.

mtbr member

They are definitely two different bikes, and feel. I'm sort of in the same space as the OP. I can't help but feel that I love my J9RDO, but I keep tweaking to get it to feel like a RIP... But, the more I ride my JET, the more comfortable I feel.

I'm keeping the JET for the rest of the year, and may consider building up something new this winter, we'll see.

I'm also really considering a RIP with a 130 up front.. Seems like that Niner might be on to something there. . Trails in MN don't demand the longer sus.. Might not be a bad option.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    Demoed the Jet RDO (Cool Green/Black) a couple of weeks ago in SoCal Malibu Creek SP.
    Man, The bike felt so much more confident than my Flash 29er.
    The geometry is similar and so were the Tires (Schwalbe RaRas 2.25)- So I guess it was the SID shocks.

That day, I rode an Alum RIP for a few minutes and didn't like it's upright geometry and the dropper seat cable rubbing against my thigh, So I quickly switched back to the RDO.
    Bottom line the Jet RDO is a great, confidence inspiring bike with racy geometry and weight.. I love it.
    Rear Shifting was crappy on that bike as well as my Brothers' Demo Jet RDO bike.
    Is that an issue with the Jet's RDO or was it due to thrashed demo bikes sad condition?
    John "Fuzzy" tried to adjust it, but it didn't shift as intended...
    Flash29C2
    Scalpel 29C1
    Niner One9 SingleSpeed RDO fork
    Supersix Evo 1 Hi Mod D/A

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Thanks for the input. Gonna try a longer stem and throw a Hans Dampf up front to see if that gets me more grip & helps the sketchy feeling I have on the down and around turns.

Climbs = necessary evil
    I rode the Jet RDO for a couple of days last year before demoing the RIP, which is what I bought. I felt like the JET was just too twitchy and not enough travel for the riding I do here in CO. Bt everyone has their own preferences and some who ride the same trails may be fine with the JET. I think a lot of it is just riding style and personal preferences.

USED2COULD
    This forum is great. Just rode my Jet RDO in it's second annual 24 Hour race and it was brilliant. I also rode a lap on my SingleSpeed Cannondale F29'er, and I'd ride a lap on a RIP too if I had one to hand.

OP - good luck with Muzz's suggestions on setup. I have a 100mm stem on my medium, and 710mm bars, and feel I can plant the front where ever I want it, with either 2.25" RR's or 2.25" NN's. Maybe start the rationalization processes, and ability to recover some equity from your Jet and pick up a RIP RDO after a demo like Bruce suggested.
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    RIP RDO is outta my league. I got a great deal on the J9 RDO which is one reason I got it. NO such thing a discount lunch I guess. I was set to get a RIP 9 for the same price or there abouts. If I do anything, I'd sell the J9 and get the new RIP. I'd prefer to not do that if possible. When the bike flies, it flies. I have not been able to get to the "don't think about it" point yet when covering the trail elements I mentioned above.

90MM stem on the way. I have a 100M stem on my road bike I can try for testing sake.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    A 90mm Stem with a -5˚ drop and removal of a 5mm spacer, and I have a new bike. I was immediately reminded of what I liked about the RIP9. It feels like a totally different bike on the down and in tight turns. Twitchiness is totally gone on the down, tight turns are easy to set up and complete and I'm able to throw the bike into fast downhill turns with way more confidence. The issue I had with the front end popping up is definitely less severe as well.

I may try a 100MM stem I have just to confirm 90mm is the right length.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions. I'm glad to now have what I thought I bought in the first place: Yes, Shiggy, a quicker AND better bike for where I ride. And a shorter stem definitely makes for more vague & floaty steering. Precision now.

Moosehead
    I don't doubt the Rip9RDO is a blast, if not, a potential quiver killer. I both look forward to and fear trying one someday.

That said, I got swept into the same J9RDO scenario as the OP and am the latest sceptic turned fanboy.

Bottom line, the J9RDO handles like my beloved 26" steed, but the wagon wheels roll over stuff. It's a seemingly oxymoronic combination of quick yet stable; forgiving precision; climbing machine that descends with speed and confidence; light, stiff, and damp (and moist).

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm please your sorted it out, They are a great bike & I would have said the Jet9 RDO was the bike you needed.

IMO the Jet9 RDO will eat the old Rip9 alloy on most trails.

A 90mm Stem with a -5˚ drop and removal of a 5mm spacer, and I have a new bike. I was immediately reminded of what I liked about the RIP9. It feels like a totally different bike on the down and in tight turns. Twitchiness is totally gone on the down, tight turns are easy to set up and complete and I'm able to throw the bike into fast downhill turns with way more confidence. The issue I had with the front end popping up is definitely less severe as well.

I may try a 100MM stem I have just to confirm 90mm is the right length.

Thanks to those who offered suggestions. I'm glad to now have what I thought I bought in the first place: Yes, Shiggy, a quicker AND better bike for where I ride. And a shorter stem definitely makes for more vague & floaty steering. Precision now.

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    deleted...wrong Thread... sorry...

mtbr member
    I too went from a RIP alloy to a J9 RDO. I was skeptical as well because I was so comfortable on the RIP. Since then, I have never looked back. I feel faster, and just as confident on the J9 RDO as I ever did on the RIP. The major advantage I noticed was how much less fatigued I feel, better climbing times, and the added responsiveness I get (which I attribute mostly to the carbon materials). Bottom line is that I have no plans on returning to the RIP, especially considering where and how most of my riding is done now.

I did notice that I had to adjust to riding narrower tires, especially on the downhills. I used to run a 2.4 Ardent, and I still could, but have been trying to make the adjustment to run narrower (2.25 or less) tires. This was my only issue. Oh, that and a cracked frame that I just discovered, but luckily Competitive Cyclist is taking much better care of me than what NINER has to offer.
    Making Milk by Day, Beer by Night

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Not that simple but nice try at condescending sarcasm.

Stupid is, as stupid does
    I'm going to Chime in. I was riding a Lenz Sport Mammoth when I saw the Bike Bling ad to get a Jet 9 RDO at 50% off. I jumped on it. I am 6'2 225 geared up. I have never ridden a bike that weighed less than 27.5 lbs. I swapped all my parts over to the Jet 9 and my bike came in at 25.9lbs. Amazing!!!!!!! I run my front fork at 140, 2.35 NN up front 2.25 Trail King in the Rear, Bionicon C guide, 740mm wide riser bar, 80mm -6 degree stem, KS lev 150 post, and light cycle carbon rims. The bike shreds the downhills and takes to the air well. I run about 28% sag. I do miss the extra travel in the rear when I land drops but does not bottom hard. Or I should say I notice it's not there. But it doesn't hold the bike back and the way I have it set up "Nervous & Twitchy" are not words I would use. I am thinking about sending the rear shock to Push and having the bottom out bumper installed so I can run a bit more sag and get the end of stroke to feel more bottomless. I saw it all depends on set-up.

I am also considering entering the realm of Darwinism and I am sure I should get some interesting comments here but i would like some feedback or ideas. I am thinking of running a rip 9 rear shock on my jet to increase the travel. I know why not buy a Rip 9? Because I couldn't afford it at the time. BUt i do have an extra shock in the right size laying around that I can get revalved.
    2012 Ibis Mojo HD (155mm 650B)
    Yeti SB95 Carbon
    1993 Brodie Expresso
    RIP 1997 Santa Cruz Heckler.In 2010 the frame cracked

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    140mm up front on the J9, huh? Interesting. I have a Revelation that can run 140mm. I almost left it at that, but chose to reduce it to 120mm. Maybe I'll try it someday just to see how it feels.

Wouldn't increasing the rear travel cause the geo to get out of wack?

Chime in if you frankenstein your bike. I'm interesting to hear how it goes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast