Ridin Red
    Apr 2008

Demo'd a RIP 9 and JET 9 Today

And now I'm not quite as clear on which one I want. They were both RDO's (I'll get alloy) and the JET was a L and the RIP was a M.

I went into it thinking I wanted the RIP, and I'm still leaning that way but it's a lot closer than I had expected. The JET still felt like a fair amount of squish and pedaled easier going up than the RIP, but I did notice more speed going downhill on the RIP. (almost too much at times) I felt in the RIP and on the JET but not sure if that's just the size difference. I'm 5'11" and around 160 lbs.

I'm looking at a lower end spec right now (1-2 star) and slowly upgrade as $ becomes more plentiful once I'm out of grad school. I don't race often and only plan to do a couple here and there so I don't mind pushing around an extra pound or two if it means a smoother ride or more ability elsewhere if I take it out west or on some rougher stuff. I ride XC type trails for the most part but I'd rather have a little more bike for the job instead of too little. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Get yourself an alloy rip. The new 2014 version is killer. If you're not going RDO I would definitely stay on that new alloy rip. That will be a great frame to get into and then work on the perfect build after that when more cash flow is coming in. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by cyclones30 View Post
    And now I'm not quite as clear on which one I want. They were both RDO's (I'll get alloy) and the JET was a L and the RIP was a M.

I went into it thinking I wanted the RIP, and I'm still leaning that way but it's a lot closer than I had expected. The JET still felt like a fair amount of squish and pedaled easier going up than the RIP, but I did notice more speed going downhill on the RIP. (almost too much at times) I felt in the RIP and on the JET but not sure if that's just the size difference. I'm 5'11" and around 160 lbs.

I'm looking at a lower end spec right now (1-2 star) and slowly upgrade as $ becomes more plentiful once I'm out of grad school. I don't race often and only plan to do a couple here and there so I don't mind pushing around an extra pound or two if it means a smoother ride or more ability elsewhere if I take it out west or on some rougher stuff. I ride XC type trails for the most part but I'd rather have a little more bike for the job instead of too little. Any suggestions?

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    Get a RIP and this is coming from a Jet 9 RDO owner. I'm thinking of picking a RIP on clearance right now and selling the Jet (Or being selfish and keeping for the more XC Up hill riding)

Ridin Red
    Apr 2008
    Thanks guys, that helps a lot. I was leaning that way but I was surprised how well the JET handled smaller jumps and bumps. The RIP was pretty slick though. I'm coming off a 17.5" HT which was a bit on the smaller side but I liked it, is the Med I rode a better fit or a Large? (they didn't have one to demo) The M from yesterday had a dropper post so I'm not sure how a regular seat post would compare for heights but I'd guess similar? I'm 6' or a hair under.

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by WoodstockMTB View Post
    Get a RIP and this is coming from a Jet 9 RDO owner. I'm thinking of picking a RIP on clearance right now and selling the Jet (Or being selfish and keeping for the more XC Up hill riding)
    I also own a first gen jet9 RDO. It has a small crack right now that I'm getting a warranty with. I can get a rip rdo for $200 upgrade same with the new jet. Direct replacement is the jet 9 carbon for no cost. I will most likely be going with a rip.

I'm 6'1 and ride a large. At your height I would buy the large and go short stem/wide bars.