beater

Dang - mistitled Chromag stoke

I just mounted a Chromag OSX bar, in black chrome (and a Ranger 50mm stem, too). Wicked cool, and thanks to Chad at Red Barn for a sweet price. The black chrome looks awesome, btw. No pics yet.

But today I happend to look at Chromag's blog and saw they've recently announced new paint and ano colors for their OSX bars. One looks very similar to Niner's Milk Dud ano, and that would have been a nice match.

I kind of like the Milk Dud, and I strongly preferred an ano finish to wet paint, but white would have been far easier to color-coordinate. Oh, well. Like I said, the black chrome is pretty awesome.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    I just mounted a Chromag OSX bar, in black chrome (and a Ranger 50mm stem, too). Wicked cool, and thanks to Chad at Red Barn for a sweet price. The black chrome looks awesome, btw. No pics yet.

But today I happend to look at Chromag's blog and saw they've recently announced new paint and ano colors for their OSX bars. One looks very similar to Niner's Milk Dud ano, and that would have been a nice match.

I kind of like the Milk Dud, and I strongly preferred an ano finish to wet paint, but white would have been far easier to color-coordinate. Oh, well. Like I said, the black chrome is pretty awesome.
    The Chromag black chrome is a really great color. When are we going to get wide flat bars? I know they are working on them.

beater
    I think they'd sell some of them, but it's not an issue for me. I still have an uncut steerer, and moved a 2.5mm spacer from above to below the stem, as the OSX has less rise than the Deity bar it replaced.

They make some really nice products. I saw Err's pic of the black crome with a twenty6 urban camo stem, and that looked like a sweet combination. I'd have preferred to go with them for a stem and rock the semi-local (and I have urban camo Rallyes), but I can't justify $120 for a purely cosmetic upgrade. Chad sold me the Ranger for much less.

I'm becoming a Chromag junkie. I recently switched saddles to a Lynx DT, mostly b/c my shorts kept snagging on the back of my Phenom. Pretty happy with that switch, too.

beater
    I found I really like the 30" bar. It replaced a 28" bar (Deity Twenty14), so there are a couple tight tree gaps on our trails that I wondered about. One turned out to have 1/4" clearance on each side of the bars. I also tagged a tree on that ride. Don't care. The wider bars do a good job of opening up my chest and position, and slow down the steering. Plus it looks cool. That's the most important thing, of course.

Like I've already mentioned, the black chrome looks awesome. Crappy iPhone pic:
    Dang - mistitled Chromag stoke-osx.jpg

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    I found I really like the 30" bar. It replaced a 28" bar (Deity Twenty14), so there are a couple tight tree gaps on our trails that I wondered about. One turned out to have 1/4" clearance on each side of the bars. I also tagged a tree on that ride. Don't care. The wider bars do a good job of opening up my chest and position, and slow down the steering. Plus it looks cool. That's the most important thing, of course.

Like I've already mentioned, the black chrome looks awesome. Crappy iPhone pic:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	OSX.jpg 
Views:	692 
Size:	179.4 KB 
ID:	562715
    I have ended up at 29"-30" on my bikes and yeah, it's a big improvement.

Wide (28" +) Bar Plug for those that are curious, or not:

The wide bar/short stem setup really improves the ride of ANY bike, not just trail or FR rigs. The steep climbing control offered by the wider bar offsets the unweighting of the wheel with the shorter stem, and the short/wide combo is unmatched on the way back down. Tree clearance is simply not an issue on most trails, why sacrifice improved control everywhere for the .05% of the time you are riding "that" trail with "those two trees"? I am sure someone out there is a professional narrow trail rider and wide bars simply aren't an option. But for everyone else, it's just not a big enough issue.

I talked a local XC/Road pro into going from standard (narrow) flat bars on a 120 stem into a 28" riser with a 100mm. It took him one or two rides to get into it, but the reward? He rides a lot faster on the descents and the bike is easier to control when he gets really tired during long races (he was 5th at US Marathon XC Nats). He's now considering a 90mm stem. Your results may vary, but this is the same experience a lot of folks have had.

Yeah, I resisted adopting short/wide until the last year or so and now I wonder how we had it so wrong for the last 20 years.

beater
    My first stem on this build was a 90mm. It looks ridiculous to me in the photos now. I moved the 90mm to my hardtail, replacing a 110mm.

I really was surprised by a increased sense of confidence on the downhills, particularly in the turns.