Thread: D-day

30-ton War Machine

D-day

First off, I will concede and say I realize not many people will feel bad for me and the situation I am in. I am having my Air9 built today and I have a choice between a Fox F29 QR15 and a Niner carbon fork, my wheels were built on Hope hubs so I can run them 9mm or 15mm, I just can't decide which way!!!!!!!! When I used to ride a lot I prefered a full rigid bike but, after a ten year lay-off from the bike and 10 years on my body I don't know if I can "handle" full rigid I am leaning towards using the niner fork and if I get beat up too bad then I can always put the fox on. But, if I like the niner fork I can return the fox and put some cash back in the old bank a roo.....Oh and FWIW, I plan on using this bike for endurance races and I am told I will want some form of suspension on there once I start racing.....
    Thanks for any and all input!
    isaac

mtbr member
    FWIW: I'm going to be 41 this September and I race my One9 with the Niner fork. Now my terrain is not that crazy (Southern Ontario) but I do not miss suspension at all.

At last weeks race another rider how the carbon fork rode, my reply: "It feels like I have a 40mm travel fork but without the weight penalty".

The Niner fork, for me at least, has been the way to go. It suits my ride, it suits the terrain I ride and it weighs next-to-nothing.

30-ton War Machine
    Thanks for the reply Bob, I like the mental aspects of a rigid fork as well, they cause you to search for the smoother line. One of the things I wanted to test out was the QR15 front fork and hub to see if it really adds any feeling of stiffness, maybe it is just a marketing tool??? I have been going back and forth on this today.. It is good to have options though!
    Isaac