mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Crash Replacement

Last Thursday I was climbing an uphill portion of a location front range trail and found myself having to bail because other people coming down hill did not yield. Well this was my forth ride on my new Air9 Carbon. Absolutely amazing bike. So I bail and the bike falls directly on a rock causing a big scrap along the down tube. The other people said sorry and kept going as I continued to yelled inappropriate things at them. I finished my ride and further inspected the damage in the parking lot. It looked pretty bad so I took to my LBS and they sent the frame to Niner....
    I get a call from my LBS a couple days later to find out the frame is cracked and that Niner will give me a crash replacement for $800!!! I was definitely surprised to hear this. I am not one to complain or try and get freebies, but I am surprised that a $2000 frame cannot take a fall on a rock and be ok.

I am just curious if anyone else has had to pay for a crash replacement? Thanks for listening, the poor trail etiquette is really what pissed me off.

mtbr member
    Its not Niners fault you had to bail. Warranty is for manufacturing defects. I think you are getting a good deal and its pretty decent for them to give you $1200 off a new frame. Its a chance you take going for the latest and greatest buying a carbon frame.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    I agree with jjmtb1. Would you expect a car manufacturer to replace or repair your new car if it was damaged in a wreck? Same thing here and like was already said, they helped you out by offering a discount.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Point well taken. Like i mentioned before, my frustration is with the trail etiquette and not Niner. I was curious who had dealt with "crash replacement" with Niner. Thanks for the reply.

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by texsurf21
    Point well taken. Like i mentioned before, my frustration is with the trail etiquette and not Niner. I was curious who had dealt with "crash replacement" with Niner. Thanks for the reply.
    Your post actually brought back some thoughts on carbon... Probably not there yet although many advances were made with the material...

You cannot expect people to pay over and over because the material would not hold things aluminum would...

Ofir

Flaccid Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jjmtb1
    Its not Niners fault you had to bail. Warranty is for manufacturing defects. I think you are getting a good deal and its pretty decent for them to give you $1200 off a new frame. Its a chance you take going for the latest and greatest buying a carbon frame.
    Not only that, but these have been scarce as hens teeth, and now they have to replace yours, when someone could have bought a new one, which is being used to replace yours.

Insure your bike next time. BTW, I am a bit curious what you are doing " climbing an uphill portion of a location front range trail ", that you don't name it, and that downhillers are flying down it so fast that they didn't/couldn't stop for you when you had the right of way?

Underskilled
    Sorry to hear about the crash.

Niner are pretty decent to offer a crash replacment, for a price that is probably just enough to cover costs.

Niner did let me change my frame when mine failed, so if you are scared of cabon, might be time for a different model?

Also, insure your dam bike!
    Insurance is a neccersary evil, like republicans. Only kidding, they are far from neccersary
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Randyboy,
    I was riding Matthew Winters and it was not a group of crazy downhillers, but rather an individual that thought they could pass me while I was coming uphill. The person could have completely stopped and I probably could have too. The lack of severity of the incident is what made me wonder why the carbon could not hold up to the impact with the rock. I had no idea I could insure my bike. Who do you insure with?
    You guys have really good points, which is why I even made a post. I just wanted some piece of mind before paying the $800.

Underskilled
    slow falls can sometimes cause the most damage, I don't know how you fell but work out the physics and you could have caused have put a lot of energy through a small point.

My two most serious skiing accidents were as follows.

Standing on a green run speaking to an instructor, some guy clips the back of my skiis, i lose balance and fall over sideways.

went off a skijump and lost one of my skiis on launch, did multiple spins and two flips before crashing down, probably doing over 60mph.

The high speed crash spread damage all over my body, only serious damage was blowing both collar bones. The fall over sidesways concentrated much less force into a much much smaller area. again blew the collar bones, but also serious head injury.

moral: small falls can cause far more damage, as you are going slow the force tends to concentrate on one part.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?