mtbr member

Cost Effective Ways to Save Weight

I just got my Jet 9 RDO & the weight is around 27.5 lbs. I'd like to get this down a bit. I know a wheel set is a great way to save weight but I don't have an extra grand after the bike purchase. It has Stan's ZTR Arch wheels and hubs so can anyone suggest other areas I should look for saving some weight that won't break the bank? P.S. I'm not real unhappy with the weight, it does seem to ride lighter, I'm just looking to hear what others have done economically to save weight. Thanks.
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    List your components please. My rip9 is 27.9 lbs with a dropper post and stan's arch wheelset.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by UnderPar View Post
    List your components please. My rip9 is 27.9 lbs with a dropper post and stan's arch wheelset.
    Frame JET9 RDO; Float RP23 Kashima; Tapered HT, 100mm,*
    Blk Fork Rock Shox Revelation 120mm, Tapered, 100mm, 20mm Maxle,*
    Blk/Red Headset FSA OE from Niner
    *Frt Der XT 10spd*
    Rear Der XT Long Cage 10sp Shadow Shifter XT 2x10sp
    *Brakes Shimano XT; 180 Front/160 Rear rotors
    *Crank Shimano XT, 26/38, 2x10*
    Chain HG74 10spd
    *BB Included w/ Cranks
    *Cassette SLX 10sp, 11-36*
    Wheels Stanís Arch*EX
    Tires Maxxis Ardent 29x2.25*
    Bar Niner Flat Top carbon,*
    Blk/Red Grips ESI,*
    Blk Stem Niner RDO, 90m,*
    Blk/Red Seatpost Niner RDO Carbon,*
    Blk/Red Seat Fizik Gobi
    Single Track Rules!

mtbr member
    Well I can't see any anchor in there other than the tires, trade the Ardent's and get Racing Ralph's instead, you might loose 250gr ... also you could always ditch the SLX cassette and get a XX instead but that would be a pricey way to loose 140-160gr

mtbr member
    Well, guess I'm stuck with a 27 lb. tank.
    Single Track Rules!

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    I just got my Jet 9 RDO & the weight is around 27.5 lbs. I'd like to get this down a bit. I know a wheel set is a great way to save weight but I don't have an extra grand after the bike purchase. It has Stan's ZTR Arch wheels and hubs so can anyone suggest other areas I should look for saving some weight that won't break the bank? P.S. I'm not real unhappy with the weight, it does seem to ride lighter, I'm just looking to hear what others have done economically to save weight. Thanks.
    The most cost effective way is to buy a light bike.

In particular, though, if you build the bike from the ground up choosing components that are light - it's really a cost effective way to go because you are buying only 1 of everything you need rather than buying a full bike and replacing heavier parts for lighter parts. Using a spreadsheet after doing research to locate the lightest component weights is the accepted way on the 'weight weenie' forum.

You don't list all of the components, so we don't know what your bike has on it. (Edit - now I see your list in a subsequent post.) Take that list and weigh all of the components - and or do research to get a weight on each of the components. Put it all in a spreadsheet.

Break it down into something like this (an example of my JET 9 build a couple of years ago)...

Raven&Ikon Spreadsheet Jet

Once you know the weights of each component - then you can start to look around to see if a lighter one exists and what the costs involved would be to obtain it.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 10-18-2012 at 07:16 PM.
    The 14 warmest years have all occurred in the 16 years since 1997.

mtbr member
    What's the weight on the revelation fork? I think there could be lighter options out there.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Have you checked the weight on 2 sets of scales ?

I would get rid of the Ardents to.

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by HouseNotes View Post
    Hate to say it, but I'd be buying an American Classic RACE wheelset and a pair Maxxis Aspen, Racing Ralph or Rocket Ron tires. You will drop two pounds easily over your current setup and on the most important part of the bike where weight matters.

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    Get a tubeless setup...saves weight 2

mtbr member
    and when you get tubeless get Maxxis Ikons. Extremely light without compromising ride quality. Best tire I have used.

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    You could change the fork out, but if its not broken and you don't hate it I wouldn't bother with changing anything. Sounds like a nice bike.
    Livin' the dream.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by danvar View Post
    and when you get tubeless get Maxxis Ikons. Extremely light without compromising ride quality. Best tire I have used.
    I'm not a fan of the Ikons on my RDO, They do last well but the Racing Ralph is a faster rolling tyre & has a heap more grip. IMO

mtbr member
    Jan 2006
    My Jet 9 RDO weighs in (w/ pedals) @ 26lb 10oz. I am basically running SRAM X0 2x10 setup, Fox front/rear, Easton EA70 XCT wheels setup as tubeless w/ nobby nics. Pedals are shimano XT. Going tubeless is the most noticeable factor...

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    Wow. You guys make my 32lb RIP 9 feel like a pig. Love the bike though...

mtbr member
    Racign Ralph tubeless, XTR cassette for about $175 off ebay, and run 1x10 and you'll knock a chunk of weight off the bike, will be close to the 25# range.
    My Santa Cruz Nickel with a 7.2# frame running 1x10 is in the very low 26# area right now with 650b rolling gear. My only "expensive" indulgement was the XX cassette I got a deal on, took like 1/3# off the bike by itself.
    I've been running 1x9/1x10 for a couple years now, playing with different front ring sizes.
    Hardrock 29er, Niner EMD9, Cannondale F29, Camber Expert, 650b Nickel all gone.
    2014 Giant Anthem 27.5 here.

mtbr member
    Well guys, I've decided I'm definently NOT a weigh weenie! Thanks for all the suggestions. I already am running tubeless but am looking into some of your tire recommendations. My fork is about 200 grams heavier than others I could try but it's durable and works for me. I like the adjustability of it. Will give the lighter crankset a look when current one wears out-thanks for that advice. Pedals are the SS eggbeaters off my old bike-pretty light and shed mud well, so for my riding they're the best. You guys have helped me decide to just ride what I have and enjoy the bike! It DOES ride lighter!
    Single Track Rules!

DIY all the way
    Buy a 26" in the first place, that will shave some weight off.

Magura