Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Dec 2007

Come on Niner where's the Carbon 5" RIP??

Just Asking

mtbr member
    Yeah right, were the heck is it!

I'm allready saving up...

Scant abuse
    + 1 but make it 6 inches

Pick a wheel size...
    Quote Originally Posted by Richard View Post
    + 1 but make it 6 inches
    so a carbon WFO then?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by motoguru2007 View Post
    Just Asking
    Just carbon up the wheels.

Size XL weighs 26.91 lbs as pictured (triple old Shimano XT crank with Hollowtech BB, and Avid BB7's)....

RovaledRIP

Silky smooth and fast.

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Trail day optimized

Yeah,

I would like to ride carbon Niner trail day optimized 5" rear travel should be enough for me.

Jet 9 RDO is not enough plush in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    Silky smooth and fast.
    I want that silky smooth and fast feeling ride in carbon version with carbon wheels too

Chris Sugai, do you hear us?

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by pablo_goral View Post
    Yeah,

I would like to ride carbon Niner trail day optimized 5" rear travel should be enough for me.

Jet 9 RDO is not enough plush in my opinion.

I want that silky smooth and fast feeling ride in carbon version with carbon wheels too

Chris Sugai, do you hear us?
    Why wait? It seems what you are after is here...

130mm Carbon Goodness

130mm front and rear, carbon, silky smooth and fast. All yours for only $9900!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Why wait? It seems what you are after is here...

130mm front and rear, carbon, silky smooth and fast. All yours for only $9900!
    That is really bang for the buck

I'll rather wait for Ibis Ripley.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    I'll rather wait for Ibis Ripley.
    Indeed! Unless RIP 9 Carbon is here before the Ibis guys get Ripley from ideas to a bike in stores.

BTW: the 130mm travel with Fox 32 is a great thing, wanted on RIP9 Carbin too :-) I believe 140mm on a 29" is too much.

BTW2 : include cable guides for remote adjustable seatpost please

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by xtxt View Post
    Indeed! Unless RIP 9 Carbon is here before the Ibis guys get Ripley from ideas to a bike in stores.

BTW: the 130mm travel with Fox 32 is a great thing, wanted on RIP9 Carbin too :-) I believe 140mm on a 29" is too much.

Curious why you think that 140mm is too much. I love it on my RIP.

mtbr member
    Jul 2006
    140 is my preferred Rip length as well.

Carbon & Ti rule

If you think that 140mm is to much for a 29er, I can tell you that the RDO will handle anything that you could through at it.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    Curious why you think that 140mm is too much. I love it on my RIP.
    I'm also curious why you think 140mm is too much-I think the WFO is a great bike, because I wanted a big long travel trailbike. I can see why some people wouldn't like it though.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Sorry guys, I was a bit too quick. I have nothing against 140mm or more travel on 29" bikes per se.

However, riding 120mm 29" and 140mm/150mm 26" bikes I believe 130mm 29" would be perfect for *me*. As an bonus the fork would be lighter using Fox 32 variant over the Fox 34 140.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Sorry guys, I was a bit too quick. I have nothing against 140mm or more travel on 29" bikes per se.

However, riding 120mm 29" and 140mm/150mm 26" bikes I believe 130mm 29" would be perfect for *me*. As an bonus the fork would be lighter using Fox 32 variant over the Fox 34 140.
    RDO Video

My Movie (21) - YouTube

Always Learning

There is a nice "sweet spot" of full suspension travel bikes in the 115-130mm area developing as a bike that could be dubbed the "do-all" or the "everything" XC/Trail 29"er fully - especially to target riders who choose to only own one bike.

Arguments have been made where 100-110mm may not be quite enough travel, and getting over 130mm may be too much. So the developing sweet spot for front and rear is sort of in that 115mm - 130mm travel range where bikes are coming to market in the "do all" or "everything" category. I think the S-Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon 29"er that I pictured above meets most of that criteria. Light enough, and nimble enough to climb efficiently, but with enough squish to really make for a silky smooth fast XC/Trail bike. You could race it, do endurance on it, go for a daily ride on it, take it just about anywhere you could think of and be fine until you move into specialty disciplines that warrant perhaps a 2nd bike. I feel pretty much the same way with my RIP set up with a 120mm fork.

I like the older 2009/2010 Rip frame for the HT angle that is slightly steeper than the new version. Coupled with a shorter A/C Fox fork (shorter than a RockShox that is) makes for quite a nice XC/Trail bike that really knifes through the turns. But that's what fits how and where I ride - not to mention, I find 120mm for a big tall guy like myself to be a proper amount of XC travel.

Whether or not that adds or detracts to the discussion of what the RIP is - or what a carbon RIP would be remains open. I think it fits in the "everything" XC bike category quite well for 29"er fully suspension bikes. Whether it is aluminum or if it came out in carbon. If it did come out in carbon - yeah, I'd be cool with 130mm front and rear. I know I would love to demo one of those S-Works Stumpjumpers...

BB

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I think the S-Works Stumpjumper FSR Carbon 29"er that I pictured above meets most of that criteria. Light enough, and nimble enough to climb efficiently, but with enough squish to really make for a silky smooth fast XC/Trail bike.
    BB
    Except it is priced about $4,000 too expensive for what it is!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Hey Muzzaic,

What works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone.

I'm selling my Jet 9 RDO on ebay asap.

mtbr member
    Hey Muzzaic,

What works for you, doesn't mean it works for everyone.

I'm selling my Jet 9 RDO on ebay asap.
    Pablo what has you selling your jet 9?

mtbr member
    Sep 2009

Jet 9 RDO small on ebay

Quote Originally Posted by 4Butter View Post
    Pablo what has you selling your jet 9?
    Yes, here it is:
    Jet 9 RDO licorice black small 2012 | eBay

I broke my collar bone again, I'll not be able to ride this rig for a long time. Besides, I like my Pivot Mach 5 more and from my personal point of view Jet 9 RDO is step back...

mtbr member
    Yes, here it is:

I broke my collar bone again, I'll not be able to ride this rig for a long time. Besides, I like my Pivot Mach 5 more and from my personal point of view Jet 9 RDO is step back...
    Wow sorry to hear about the collar bone. I wish you quick healing. Thanks for your point of view on the niner and the pivot. Do you think you like the Mach 5 more because of the suspension or maybe the geo? Just curious what makes you feel the Mach 5 is superior..

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 4Butter View Post
    Wow sorry to hear about the collar bone. I wish you quick healing. Thanks for your point of view on the niner and the pivot. Do you think you like the Mach 5 more because of the suspension or maybe the geo? Just curious what makes you feel the Mach 5 is superior..
    Thanks. This is going off-topic. I like Mach 5 more for sure because of suspension, it is more plush and still efficient. Probably DW-link suspension is the best out there but I haven't tested every type of suspension. The geometry also has something to do. Mach 5 is more stable and likes to stick to the ground whereas Jet 9 RDO wants to fly. Big wheels adds traction for sure but with only 100 mm travel this is not even close to 140 mm 26er. I'll rather stay with 29er hardtail (I owned Nomble 9) than 29er with 100 mm rear travel.

mtbr member
    Thanks. This is going off-topic. I like Mach 5 more for sure because of suspension, it is more plush and still efficient. Probably DW-link suspension is the best out there but I haven't tested every type of suspension. The geometry also has something to do. Mach 5 is more stable and likes to stick to the ground whereas Jet 9 RDO wants to fly. Big wheels adds traction for sure but with only 100 mm travel this is not even close to 140 mm 26er. I'll rather stay with 29er hardtail (I owned Nomble 9) than 29er with 100 mm rear travel.

Well OP was asking about a 5" travel Niner. I'm asking for your comparison between a short and longer travel bike. So it might be a stretch from the original purpose, but I'm checking out the longer travel 29er idea as well. Your answer is very helpful and I appreciate your input.

And thanks Motoguru2007 for the thread. Moto is the Niner 5" RIP carbon officially planned? If so is there a round about release date?

mtbr member
    Niner will never say.... if they are working on something, they'll let us all know when its done being built, tested, and ready to go.

If you're looking for a heads up, you're not going to get it.

Just like any company that provides products, announcing a new product early, will only slow current model sales, then they have to heavily discount later to get rid of them.

Also, then you'll have every person, whether they would even buy one or not, asking, "Where is it, where is it?" every day, and it would be incredibly annoying. They end up wasting all their time answering questions about something that most of those who are asking would never buy.

Keep hoping, but until a new bike is ready to release, you won't know. It's just the truth.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes, here it is:

Don't get me wrong, I will be 1 of the 1st in line to buy a Rip9 carbon when & if they come out. ( Hoping for more of a WFO carbon type spec myself ).

But there are so many people out there that think they need more travel & they just aren't using what thay have.

There will always be some bikes that just don't suit some people for what ever reason, But sometimes they haven't haven't looked at all the setup options to help them, Then sometimes they have tryed & the bike just isn't them.

Not tring to pick on your build that for the most part is awesome, But If i was to run narrow Arch rims & the 2.25 Ardents on my RDO I'm sure I would be in for a big crash as well.

I tryed the Arch's & also the 2.25 Ardent on my Rip9 & the bike just didn't do the goods at all, I found that with Flows & the 2.4 Ardent up front at 18 PSI the front had so much more grip & I could just push so much harder on fast down hill & I could trust the grip to be there.

With the 2.25 Ardent on the front the bike just felt like it was looking for somewere to crash.

Good luck with your next build & hope you get better soon.
    Last edited by muzzanic; 01-30-2012 at 12:57 AM.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast