Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Clyde Questions

I Strava Hamburgers

Clyde Questions

I'm a rapidly shrinking clyde and Niner really appeals to me as a bike brand I want to ride next year.

I have an Air One and a RIP 9 on my short list, but can't find any information on max rider weights. I imagine it won't matter in the new year, but I've heard that the frames are really designed for lighter riders with 29er flavors.

Does anyone know where I can find this information, or am I wildly off base with what I've read?
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    rip9 is one of the most solid 29er bikes in the universe ...

Underskilled
    Why a RIP not a WFO, that is the strongest.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    i had started with a jet 9 when i first converted from being a life long cannondale guy and now i ride a wfo 9, very stiff and strong but climbs awesome for a 5.5 inch dually!

I Strava Hamburgers
    I think my avoidance of the WFO is more that I have a much larger XC flavoring of courses and races around here, with a small amount of downhill.

How does the WFO climb anyway? Decent, or are you really working on it as compared to lighter / hard tail bikes?

The Air 9 carbon isn't off the list either, but its more of the "if I win a mini lotto" option.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

mtbr member
    Mar 2010
    Can you define "rapidly shrinking clyde"?

If "14Stone" or 196 lbs is your weight then I guess I'm a superclyde.

That may help with some feedback.
    Last edited by fisherman1118; 09-01-2010 at 11:15 AM.

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009

I am 250 and I ride a Jet 9

It is a rocket. No problems with my weight. Run Stan Flows, Fox QR15, and I am good to go.

Ofir

I Strava Hamburgers
    Definition: 273 atm, probably end somewhere in the 210-220 range once I jump to a proper XC bike for when I race.

Whats the weight like on a Jet 9?

EDIT: 14 stone is just a reference to being under 200lbs and a really overly lofty goal
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone
    Definition: 273 atm, probably end somewhere in the 210-220 range once I jump to a proper XC bike for when I race.

Whats the weight like on a Jet 9?

EDIT: 14 stone is just a reference to being under 200lbs and a really overly lofty goal
    Hi the Jet9 is about 1.3 lb ligher in the frame.

I have both & really like both but I would push everyone over 210 lb onto a Rip9 because I just think it would just work better for them & I think they would be faster on it than they would be on the Jet9.

Underskilled
    The weight between all the frames is small compared to a clyde rider.

I have my WFO set up with a RP23 tuned to my weight and for high efficiency.

For me, post tune, it is the fastest most efficient pedaler I have ever ridden.
    It has the huge advantage over the XC bikes that you never have to worry about it breaking or flexing when you put the power in.

Mon-fri I put slicks on and commute, I beat most roadies on the flat, but I also drop a few flights of stairs, and even ride up a couple too!

Just make sure you have the RP23, get it tuned and you have a bike that pedals like an XC race bike but can drop technical terrain easily
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

mtbr member
    i had the original jet and yeah it was fast, but i was 240lbs at the time and yes i felt the flex, i dont know about the new jet. but i can tell you this the jet was really quick uphill almost like a hardtail quick, but pointed down you needed to pick your lines, carelfully. with the wfo 9 she pedals up the hills really nice you dont even think about it, no bob, tremendous traction, just pedal, you dont realize your on 5.5" travel bike. point it downhill and she is much faster than the jet, cause you dont need to pick lines, just run over everything! and believe me the wfo picks up so much speed so quick you have to check yourself cause you will be at warp 5 without even realizing it. plus with the right parts this bike is super stiff, the only flex i feel on my bike is from my tires, its wierd... all my bikes i had in the past were between 25lbs to 28lbs, my wfo9 is around 37lbs give or take so its 10lbs heavier than what i am used to and i dont feel it all it is so effecient.

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    i had the original jet and yeah it was fast, but i was 240lbs at the time and yes i felt the flex, i dont know about the new jet. but i can tell you this the jet was really quick uphill almost like a hardtail quick, but pointed down you needed to pick your lines, carelfully. with the wfo 9 she pedals up the hills really nice you dont even think about it, no bob, tremendous traction, just pedal, you dont realize your on 5.5" travel bike. point it downhill and she is much faster than the jet, cause you dont need to pick lines, just run over everything! and believe me the wfo picks up so much speed so quick you have to check yourself cause you will be at warp 5 without even realizing it. plus with the right parts this bike is super stiff, the only flex i feel on my bike is from my tires, its wierd... all my bikes i had in the past were between 25lbs to 28lbs, my wfo9 is around 37lbs give or take so its 10lbs heavier than what i am used to and i dont feel it all it is so effecient.
    I am sorry but I really don't know why you claim the Jet is not a fast downhill and that you need to pick your line...

Point and shoot. It is darn fast machine, and it roles faster then any 26" I ride against.

with regards to the original post - If the guy's style is for XC and not for anything else, then the Jet is the bike he needs.

There is no need for something else where the aim is for XC.

Also, no flex for me on my v2 Jet.

Ofir

Underskilled
    How much do you weigh blaad?

mtbr member
    yeah how much do you weigh bladd?

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    yeah how much do you weigh bladd?
    I did wrote it before

Just below 250.

Ofir

mtbr member
    i was talking about the the first version of the jet that i owned, blaad did you ride that one? im pretty sure the newer jet is stiffer from what i hear, there is a difference the two... the hydroformed tubing would make the bike stiffer compared to the original.

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    i was talking about the the first version of the jet that i owned, blaad did you ride that one? im pretty sure the newer jet is stiffer from what i hear, there is a difference the two... the hydroformed tubing would make the bike stiffer compared to the original.
    I am riding the second version. and yes, you are right, is is much stiffer.

Ofir

Underskilled
    I am just mistrusting the new Jet due to the problems of the old.
    Yet for someone even though my old RIP bent then snapped, i trust the new one...strange huh

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    I am just mistrusting the new Jet due to the problems of the old.
    Yet for someone even though my old RIP bent then snapped, i trust the new one...strange huh
    VERY

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by blaadd
    I am sorry but I really don't know why you claim the Jet is not a fast downhill and that you need to pick your line...

Point and shoot. It is darn fast machine, and it roles faster then any 26" I ride against.

with regards to the original post - If the guy's style is for XC and not for anything else, then the Jet is the bike he needs.

There is no need for something else where the aim is for XC.

Also, no flex for me on my v2 Jet.

Ofir
    The new Jet9 is very fast down hill, Much to fast for its own good !!

I have the new Jet9 & Rip9.The problem being the Jet9 doesn't have the grip of the rip9 to be able to scrub off lots of speed when something bad jumps out at you & the penalty on the Jet9 is greater for not getting the speed off.

At the weight of the OP the Rip9 would still be a better XC bike than the Jet9 for his Weight.

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    The new Jet9 is very fast down hill, Much to fast for its own good !!

I have the new Jet9 & Rip9.The problem being the Jet9 doesn't have the grip of the rip9 to be able to scrub off lots of speed when something bad jumps out at you & the penalty on the Jet9 is greater for not getting the speed off.

At the weight of the OP the Rip9 would still be a better XC bike than the Jet9 for his Weight.
    Interesting... One point to make is that here (Israel) the Niner guy specifically told me that for the style of my ride (XC) I would be better on the Jet rather then the Rip. I had asked him since I was not under 250 when I got the bike...

ofir

mtbr member
    I asked niner this question a few months ago,

"Brian,

I am curious what the rider weight limits are on your WFO and Jet 9? I am a clyde looking to go full squish.

Thanks

Adam"

. Brian Bierro at niner stated the following

"We do not have any for our bikes. Im sure you will be fine. Those are both super strong frames.

Thanks for getting in touch. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Brian"

Hopefully he doesn't mind me posting.

I Strava Hamburgers
    Quote Originally Posted by Adim_X
    I asked niner this question a few months ago,

"Brian,

I am curious what the rider weight limits are on your WFO and Jet 9? I am a clyde looking to go full squish.

Thanks

Adam"

. Brian Bierro at niner stated the following

"We do not have any for our bikes. Im sure you will be fine. Those are both super strong frames.

Thanks for getting in touch. Let me know if you have any other questions.
    Brian"

Hopefully he doesn't mind me posting.

Hrm. I wonder if they say the same about the Air 9 Carbon. They have a weight limit on their carbon forks of 240.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just putting together a short list for next spring when the XC season starts. The bike be purely for XC and not so much commuting. I have the Jubei II for training. I don't mind the Jubei but I find it heavy and a bit sluggish. Hammers terrain like a monster though.

Gary Fisher and Niner are high on my list, but its hard to find a Niner dealer with XLs in stock.... mind you the same can be said for Gary Fisher too.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Fat On A Bike
    Nov 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by 14Stone
    Hrm. I wonder if they say the same about the Air 9 Carbon. They have a weight limit on their carbon forks of 240.

Thanks for the replies.

I'm just putting together a short list for next spring when the XC season starts. The bike be purely for XC and not so much commuting. I have the Jubei II for training. I don't mind the Jubei but I find it heavy and a bit sluggish. Hammers terrain like a monster though.

Gary Fisher and Niner are high on my list, but its hard to find a Niner dealer with XLs in stock.... mind you the same can be said for Gary Fisher too.
    If I were you I would not touch a carbon frame.
    As for inventory, this is going to change soon as the new batch of frames with the new color scheme is going to arrive soon. I would highly recommend a Niner. Once you ride it you would not look at other options. That's exactly what happened to me

Ofir

I Strava Hamburgers
    Oh believe me, I have no vision's of carbon in my future... XC is fun and I'd like to some day Podium but by no means am I even ever going to get to the level where a carbon bike is going to make me a better rider.
    My EBB so loud
    I'm mashing...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast