mtbr member

chain size on 1 X 9?

Should the chain size be a little smaller with a 1X9 setup than with three rings? I am building an EMD 9 with a 32 in front and 11-34 in back.

mtbr member
    You'll need a nine speed chain to go with your nine speed cassette.

mtbr member
    I have that, just wondering about the length. Since i don't have a 44t ring to shift to, can the chain be shorter than usual?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by chris1911
    I have that, just wondering about the length. Since i don't have a 44t ring to shift to, can the chain be shorter than usual?
    Yes. Wrap the chain around the big ring in the back and add two links. With one ring you can use a short cage derailleur as well.

PSYCHOLUST
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Yes. Wrap the chain around the big ring in the back and add two links. With one ring you can use a short cage derailleur as well.

YUP, I'd go so far as to say you should jump at the chance to run a short cage deraileur,

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by nybike1971
    Are you saying make it just long enough to reach around the 34t in the back and add two links? Seems like it wouldn't be long enough to through the derailleur cage.