mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Chain Catcher for Jet 9 RDO

Before I build up my rig, I was wondering if anyone uses a chain catcher of any sort on their rdo?

I did a few searches and came up blank.

I'm running XT 2x10 with SRAM X9 39x26 crank

With the direct mount FD & no seat tube to speak of it does no look like I can use a K-Edge or seat tube mounted model.

mtbr member
    I have never used a chain catcher, however I highly recommend a SRAM Type 2 rear derailluer or Shimano equivalent. This will eliminate any need for a chain catcher.

mtbr member
    May 2005
    +1 for above

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Not in my experience. Where I ride it is very rough. I have a type 2 derailleur with XO cranks and MRP bling ring and periodically (too much) the chain will drop. I just received an XX1 crankset and will give it a go and see if that helps.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Just re-read your post. Don't guess I know what a chain catcher is. You are running a front derailleur I assume since you are 2X. Not sure why you would need a chain catcher? Or what one is for that matter.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    It's a little finger of aluminum or plastic that extends beneath the derailleur and creates a "ramp" that will guide the chain onto the small ring "just in case." http://cdn.mos.bikeradar.com/images/...h0v-399-75.jpg

Road bikes typically lose the chain during shifting from the big ring to the small ring when the chain just keeps going past the small ring. While a mountain bike frequently drops the chain from the big to the small ring from the other direction (the bottom of the drivetrain) when coasting through choppy trail. Over the years I have dropped manny MTB chains from middle to small ring but almost never off the small ring onto the bb, and I haven't done it in years on my Niners. I don't think a chain watcher/keeper is necessary.

That doesn't mean it might not be a cool bit of insurance but I have not seen these for the S3 derailleur... check with K-Edge to see if they have something in the works that could replace the OE Derailleur mount?

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    Ah, yes, or one of these: http://www.3rd-eye.com/(01).htm. Which won't fit the Jet RDO because of the seat tube.
    I have two Jet RDO's. One with a X9 9 speed rear derailleur and XTR 2X and one with a 10 speed type 2 XO rear derailleur. I have run them in various combinations and can tell you for a fact that a chain keeper is NOT necessary. If you drop your chain one way or another then your front derailleur is not adjusted properly. On a 1X combination (as I mentioned above) you definitely need a type 2 derailleur and the XX1 crankset (To be determined). When running mine 2X I have never dropped the chain.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I have a Shadow+ XT. Thanks for the replies. Never had a carbon MTB and makes me nervous!