I Tried Them ALL... Moderator

Can 2012 Jet 9 RDO go 12x142 rear axle?

I hope so...
    "The mind will quit....well before the body does"

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    That would require replacing the complete rear triangle at minimum, so not exactly cheap (assuming Niner would sell that part).

Carbon & Ti rule
    No it is 135mm open drop outs.

mtbr member
    It is really not needed on this frame. The only reason to swap would be to match up with a hub that you already own and it would be much cheaper to just get another hub that could convert.

mtbr member
    Nov 2008
    You would need to replace the entire rear triangle and possibly the rockers? I've been bugging niner to sell me the rear but they say it's not for sale at the moment. They are only upgrading it on some warranty claims. I've been wanting to do it as well because I have to torque the heck out of my rear skewers to get the tire to stay locked in...worried it could possibly ruin the drop outs. The thru axle seems like it will hold it in place much better. When I tighten it the same as other bikes i own, buy the end of the ride I can grab the tire and notice some play... But niner gave me the go to use as much force needed...so I'll take their advice.

Another option would be to run a 10x135mm rear skewer, if your rear hub will accept it. But even then your just adding weight and may not notice any increased stiffness.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    You would need to replace the entire rear triangle and possibly the rockers? I've been bugging niner to sell me the rear but they say it's not for sale at the moment. They are only upgrading it on some warranty claims. I've been wanting to do it as well because I have to torque the heck out of my rear skewers to get the tire to stay locked in...worried it could possibly ruin the drop outs. The thru axle seems like it will hold it in place much better. When I tighten it the same as other bikes i own, buy the end of the ride I can grab the tire and notice some play... But niner gave me the go to use as much force needed...so I'll take their advice.

Another option would be to run a 10x135mm rear skewer, if your rear hub will accept it. But even then your just adding weight and may not notice any increased stiffness.
    I just weighed my RWS 10mm Through Axle & its 65 grams, So not that much weight when you take off the weight of a standard skewer.

The 2013 Jet9 RDO feels a little stiffer but not as much as what a good wheel set would do for the bike, & would be cheaper than buying a rear triangle.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by drz400sm View Post
    When I tighten it the same as other bikes i own, buy the end of the ride I can grab the tire and notice some play.
    Sorry to change the topic...
    That sounds like you may have a bearing adjustment issue with your wheel.

When your skewer is at "normal" torque, pick up the rear of your bike by the seat tube. Give a firm downward palm strike to the top of your back wheel. If the wheel does not move in the dropout, the skewer tightness is OK. Although if your frame is now chewed up, over-tightening may be your only option.

Slight play is usually from bearing mis-adjustment. The play is taken up with your super tightening with the skewer. You may not notice it in your other frames with the same wheel because the jet 9 rear triangle is stiffer and resists flexing more than the other frames.

Please return to the regular schedule...