mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Building Up Jet 9 RDO...A Few Questions on Prep & Parts

I'll be building up a V 1.0 Jet 9 RDO. XT with SRAM BB30 crank. No idea on Fork or Wheels yet.

Local guy is the mechanic. We call him the bike whisperer. I'm wondering if there are any prep items on a new Jet 9 RDO that I should suggest he take. I don't think he's built one up before. Bearings? Headset? Cabling? Things specific to the Jet 9 RDO.

I know about the "shift kit" mod in the BB area.

Parts Questions:

Headset: King used to the standard back in the old pre-internal headset days. My RDO uses the Zero Stack headset not the now standard IS. Is the Cane Creek 40 series as suitable as anything now? I could replace 3-4 of these for one King or CC 110 version. I can pony up now if worth it, but figured I could stick that $100 towards wheels (which might be king!)

BB....Should I use the PF30 BB from SRAM for my X9 BB30 crank? Are there better options?

XT Shadow+ RD: How well does this reduce chain slap? Should I add more protection to my chain stay?

3M Film: Is this the right stuff I want to add more protection to my frame? 3M Clear Bra Paint Protection Bulk Film Roll 6-by-48-inches : Amazon.com : Automotive

Thanks for the help.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    Good choice on the RDO!

Use the SRAM BB30. It isn't worth spending the extra coin for anything else. Also the Cane Creek 40 series is a good head set again not worth spending the money unless you "need" the bling.

There is a good video on Niner's site about the internal cable routing your machanic can watch before getting started. Also the cable length between the BB puck and chain stay needs to be between 110 and 120mm. I'm running 110mm of Shimano housing with zero ghost shifts or issues in 4 months. Page 45 and 46 are all I needed in here(https://s3.amazonaws.com/NinerDocs/N...RS_UNIVERS.pdf) to get everything right.

Have fun with the build process and don't stress because you have access to a lot of Niner owners here in this site.

mtbr member
    As to the Shadow+, from my own personal experience, it works perfectly without any extra protection. Best invention ever.

mtbr member

Building Up Jet 9 RDO...A Few Questions on Prep & Parts

Agree with Dan on the Shadow +. You'll hear some slap on the bottom of the front derailleur, but the chainstay will stay clear, except in the bumpiest conditions. I would still use a protector of some kind, but the clutch makes things very, very quiet.
    '14 Lenz Lunchbox
    '08 Gary Fisher Ferrous 29

mtbr member
    Nov 2012
    I have a v1.0 and am wondering if I would upgrade to a v2.0 rear end (thru axle andthe carbon swing arm), would it be worth it and what might be the cost? My rear wheel is a standard 135 CK w Sapim CX Ray spokes to a Stans Arch rim.

Carbon & Ti rule
    It would be cheaper & better to go to some good carbon wheels.

1st you you won't get a colour match, 2nd you would be buying 1/3 of a fame so you would be looking at 1/3 of the price of a new frame.

If you wanted to go that way you would be better off selling your frame & buying a new 1.

I have a V.1 & a V.2 Jet9 RDO & they are both awesome bikes, I like the Green colour better.

The frame on the green 1 feels a little stiffer, But not as much as a good stiff wheel set would make.

just my 2 c.

Quote Originally Posted by jet9rdopilot View Post
    I have a v1.0 and am wondering if I would upgrade to a v2.0 rear end (thru axle andthe carbon swing arm), would it be worth it and what might be the cost? My rear wheel is a standard 135 CK w Sapim CX Ray spokes to a Stans Arch rim.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    jet9rdopilot - You can get almost the same rear end by converting your hub to 135 x 10mm and using one of the DT Swiss 10mm ratcheting thru-axles. I am using one on my JET and it's stiffer. Not that it was flexy before...

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH View Post
    jet9rdopilot - You can get almost the same rear end by converting your hub to 135 x 10mm and using one of the DT Swiss 10mm ratcheting thru-axles. I am using one on my JET and it's stiffer. Not that it was flexy before...
    NC-17 make 1 as well, I'm running the NC-17 on my V.1 & my wife is running the RWS on hers but like you said, Not flexy anyway.

mtbr member
    Dec 2007
    If you were to use a strong QR such as a Salsa Flip Off, wouldn't that help in stiffness? I have never used a through axle on the rear and wonder if I would even notice the difference.

Drinkin' the 29er KoolAid
    You could also consider a using a hub with a 10mm bolt on axle. Hope Pro 2 Evo with 10mm bolt on axle is what I went with for the V1 Jet 9 RDO I'm currently building up. Only downside to this hub is the supplied M10x35 steel bolts are a bit heavy, so I'm replacing them with titanium ones.

Building Up Jet 9 RDO...A Few Questions on Prep & Parts-60999.jpg
    Last edited by kwarwick; 02-11-2013 at 10:48 AM. Reason: added photo