Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Building a One9 ?

2K views 8 replies 7 participants last post by  Boxer 
#1 ·
Hey all you Niner riders, can you help a guy out with a One9 build?
First let me say that this is my first 29er SS. I have some basic thoughts on the build I like to use a Thompson stem and post, King headset, cogalishous 19t and Shimano XT hydro brakes.
Here is where I need assistance:
Easton carbon bars (flat or riser?)
Wheels- Hope hubs on stans rims or King or DT swiss?
Cranks- Shimano XT or Race Face or ?
Any thoughts would help, thanks. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

#2 ·
riser vs flat;
\there are some flat bars that offer the same bend/sweep at risers now. so, i guess you just have to see how high you want your bars. how high are the bars on your current bike? from there, do some math (fork height, ht length, headset stack and spacers) and see what you will need. a low rise bar will work well.

wheels....king vs hope.
i would probably go with stans rims. they are light, wide (flow and arch) and are pretty light for their width. if you go 355, those are some pretty light 29er rims and only for xc riders about 175 or less. as for hubs...kings are top notch. pro2 hubs are easier to service and cheaper. i would also look at the i9 "classic" hubs for regular spokes. they weight abit more in the rear, but they engage as fast as kings, probably cost less, and are easy to service too.

cranks...
the new 2008 xt cranks are nice, very light for the $ (something like 60g heavier than xtr and about half the price?). i personally like white ind eno and middleburn uno square taper cranks. if i ever went external bb, then xtr and xt are at the top of my list.

good luck...one9 frames are super sweet!!! what fork??? i would recommend a fox f29 or the niner fork.

#3 · (Edited)
For the bars I went with flat because of the saddle to bar drop on my then
current build, it was about 22mm so risers would have been too high on the
One9 build.

For wheels I went with WI M16 with Stans ZTR. I'm getting ready to build a
Air9 and going with I9 ultralights. I had King once and just didn't like em.

For cranks I went with WI ENO/PW BB. Oh so sweet for a SS bike. XT
will go on the Air9.

Looks like you'll get something nice as your already off to a good start.

Here are a few pics to take a gander at as you ponder over your build.

Veni Vidi Vici

Attachments

#4 ·
Bars: Flat or riser really depend on your position. I have risers on my 26ers and a flat Salsa Carbon ProMoto on my One9.

Hubs: They're all good hubs. Just comes down to what you want to spend. I have Hope hubs on my Niner, a Chris King rear on my 26er singlespeed, and used the DT internals for the hubs shown in my avatar. I like them all. The Hopes are loud, but when you share the trails with hikers that can be a good thing.

#5 ·
It's a single speed, so I'd personally go for some bars with a lot of back sweep (Surly Mary, Titec h-bar, origen, flowing, etc.) or bar ends, to increase climbing leverage. If you end up with a riser bar, you can run a flipped stem and no spacers to accomodate it.

For hubs, I'd keep an eye on the number of engagment points: DT Swiss has 18 on most/all theirs, Hope 24, King 72, I9 has 72 or 100+. I'm personally about to order a pair of King hubs with either Flow or Bontrager Duster rims (Duster is a new 32-hole version based on the rim from Bontrager's Rhythm tubeless-ready wheelset - 28mm wide just like the Flows).

Btw, I really like my '08 XT brakes.

#6 ·
Thanks for all the tips and advise.
I may end up using the King hubs over the Hope ones do to availibilty and I will build them on Stans rims.
I also ended up getting a really good price for the 08 XT brakes and cranks so that was a easy choice.
Thanks again I will post a few pics when I get her built.

#7 ·
Here's your bike (with a swap of brakes, seatpost and cog):

I started with a flat salsa and switched to a low rise Monkeylite. I also had bar ends, which I didn't like with the 11 degree sweep. One end broke :(

Also had a thomson post, but went carbon for vibration reasons. plus you're rarely in the saddle anyways.

Hope/Stans wheels are :thumbsup:

Attachments

#9 ·
Parts are here!

Well most of my parts have been arriving over the last week and the Hope stuff is really nice. I had to lick each piece so I could mark them as mine. ;)
Cant wait to start the build, oh i can this weekend Yippie! :thumbsup: :thumbsup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.