mtbr member

broken jet 9 owners i have some questions?

hey guys this thread is only for information purposes. if you own a jet 9 and its has become bent, cracked or broken, i would like to know the following information from you all...

1) whats your weight in pounds.
    2) where on your frame did your jet 9 break/crack/bend.
    3) where you going uphill or downhill when it happened.
    4) what type of terrain you were riding on when it happened.
    5) what year jet 9 you have 08/09
    6) pics optional
    7) are you using the jet as race bike for races and training or just a recreational rider using the jet for casual mountainbiking?
    Last edited by david8613; 06-09-2009 at 04:47 PM.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    I'll bite.

1. 180-185
    2. rockers twice, rear triangle twice
    3. uphill, every time
    4. XC
    5. was an 08, but now its a hybrid (newer greener model) 08/09

banned

o.k. I'm in.

1. 180-185
    2. rear triangle brace (the normal break)
    3. no idea
    4. XC
    5. 08
    6. see below
    7. I used it for races and everyday riding.

I had a replacement with 3 days. Frank went way out of his way to take care of me. Thanks again Frank!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by cruso414; 06-09-2009 at 08:07 PM.

TR
    Angry bunny
    1. 180-185
    2. cracked downtube
    3. no idea (found while washing the bike)
    4. XC
    5. 09
    6. see below

mtbr member
    May 2008

1. 170lb
    2. chainstay+seatstay
    3. while climbing
    4. XC
    5. 08

mtbr member
    1. 155 lbs
    2. rear triangle brace, drive side. hairline crack and not a clean break
    3. no idea. pointed out by another Jet owner w/ same issue
    4. ride XC. nothing outrageous cause I do better w/ both wheels firmly planted on the ground
    5. 08
    6. no pics

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    I think the jet rides so well, and makes you feel soo fast that you transform as a rider and put down more power to the driveline than you ever have and probably have repeated bursts of 1500 watts and no lightweight bike could handle that...........

I do wonder if lightweight wheels/tires such as I am running stans 29er race wheels with 2.2 tires and 22-24 psi front/rear affords some reduced stress to the frame ??? if you think about xc racers do put their bikes through some real abuse........I am def riding harder and pushing my jet 9 further than any other mtb bike I have had.......

I love it and it rides so dang well i will keep riding it like a jet should be ridden and know niner has great warranty service.......

mtbr member
    this thread is only for information about broken jets, not opinions, reviews or what ever. this thread started off good, please just answer the questions....i dont want this thread to loose track, thanks...
    Last edited by david8613; 06-09-2009 at 02:28 PM.

mtbr member
    i added another question to this thread, props to lynx for that good question...

banned
    Where is Lynx? He should be eating some crow right about now. Nobody that lists their broken Jet is over 185. Shoots the fata$$ theory out of the water if this holds up.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Just curious David.... is your frame broken?

mtbr member
    no my jet is not broken yet, i havent been riding it since all these pics...lets keep this thread going guys with the info...
    Last edited by david8613; 06-10-2009 at 04:19 AM.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    2008 frame
    rider weight = around 170
    Clean break on the drive side vertical tube on the swingarm. The thin curvy piece that triangulates the seat stay & chan stay. Break is just below the weld.
    No racing or big drops. Just normal trail riding on the same trails I ride my rigid singlespeed. Maybe a couple feet of air ar most. In 22 years of mountin biking, I've never broken any other bike.
    I found the break before a ride, so I don't know exactly when it happened. I did notice some squeaking on the prior ride. I assumed it was the pivots.
    Last edited by JohnnieA; 06-15-2009 at 07:18 AM.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006

here are a few other broken frame posts..............

Ther are approximately 176 posts on mtbr with the words "cracked frame" or "broken frame" in the title...............if a few posts about a broken jet 9 make you not want to ride or own a jet 9, then based on that logic you should probably seriously reconsider the sport of mountain biking...................mountain biking def breaks more stuff than road biking..........but roadies break stuff too.........did ya check out the article on velonews about the exploded revised mavic carbon spoke wheels.......

ther are many more posts than these, but I got tired...............

FRAME SNAPPED!!! - On my FUEL EX 2008!!! (pics inside) *UPDATE #1*

2007 EX7 Cracked Frame.

Warranty Hassle or I Broke Another Trek Frame

Great warranty experience with Vassago!

RIZE 3 Swingarm Snapped!

Broken Frame?

Broken frame

Broken Frame - 2008 Trek EX 8, Anyone Else?

HiFi 29er Broken Frame

Cracked (broken) frame

Fisher 29er broken frame....

MOTOBECANE 9357 : Broken Frame

broken frame

Broken frame

Cracked the frame on my 700DS

Cracked Frame ..

Cracked frame experiences, just a question

Vertex 30 Frame Cracked

Cracked 2007 GF X-caliber frame

07 Piranha Frame Cracked

HiFi Pro Chainstay cracked frame

Cracked EX 9.5 Frame

My cracked etsx frame

Xpost from az forums-Cracked frame (What a sad day)

I think Stumpy's friend is a gonner! (Cracked Frame)

MTB B'dos

Caution;  Merge;  Workers Ahead! Interesting links, but........

I didn't post because the OP was just looking for facts, but after that doozer I thought I should. Most of the links you provided were to the infamous EX cracks which Trek aknolegde and had to add a brace to the brake side stays and do some reinforcing, then most of the others are 2008< Fishers who also had issues and a redesign, then there';s a few random breaks.

Seriously what's wrong with someone feeling nervous after seeing a rash of reported frame breaks - at several different spots on the frames - and he's on the heavier side and doesn't want to risk possible injury from a frame failure and is trying to collect some data?

Quote Originally Posted by suvowner
    Ther are approximately 176 posts on mtbr with the words "cracked frame" or "broken frame" in the title...............if a few posts about a broken jet 9 make you not want to ride or own a jet 9, then based on that logic you should probably seriously reconsider the sport of mountain biking...................mountain biking def breaks more stuff than road biking..........but roadies break stuff too.........did ya check out the article on velonews about the exploded revised mavic carbon spoke wheels.......

One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??

mtbr member
    Mar 2008

FRAME SNAPPED!!! - On my FUEL EX 2008!!! (pics inside) *UPDATE #1*

2007 EX7 Cracked Frame.

Warranty Hassle or I Broke Another Trek Frame

Great warranty experience with Vassago!

RIZE 3 Swingarm Snapped!

Broken Frame?

Broken frame

Broken Frame - 2008 Trek EX 8, Anyone Else?

HiFi 29er Broken Frame

Cracked (broken) frame

Fisher 29er broken frame....

MOTOBECANE 9357 : Broken Frame

broken frame

Broken frame

Cracked the frame on my 700DS

Cracked Frame ..

Cracked frame experiences, just a question

Vertex 30 Frame Cracked

Cracked 2007 GF X-caliber frame

07 Piranha Frame Cracked

HiFi Pro Chainstay cracked frame

Cracked EX 9.5 Frame

My cracked etsx frame

Xpost from az forums-Cracked frame (What a sad day)

I think Stumpy's friend is a gonner! (Cracked Frame)

Great Post, couldn't agree more

Saucy Size
    Quote Originally Posted by david8613
    no my jet is not broken yet, i havent been riding it since all these pics...lets keep this thread going guys with the info...
    Hey David, it may not be much comfort to you but the vast, vast majority of frame breaks don't cause the rider to crash. You're not really in any personal danger -- beyond the danger inherent to the sport, really. (Flawed wheels/forks/brakes, otoh, are another matter.)

And if your Jet does break, the warranty should cover it. So as long as you're not riding your bike, you pretty much have a nice sculpture in your garage -- and the terrorists win.

So get out there and ride!

p.

mtbr member
    i will post this again, i guess i wasnt clear the first time.....just answer the questions people do not derail this thread, keep your opinions or thoughts to yourself or start another thread if you have to... this was meant for information only to see if there was a trend, or something in common with the breaks/cracks/bends. thats it...

NMBP
    Can you believe that Grasshopper went out that way? Man, talk about embarrassing!

mtbr member
    paul b can you please end this thread....

ps the jet 9 is a great bike...pedal dammit
    Last edited by david8613; 06-11-2009 at 10:40 AM.

NMBP
    Just having a little fun, don't be so serious. At least 90% of the threads around here get derailled.

Saucy Size
    Nah, this thread's fine. It might get derailed, but whatever. As long as nobody's breaking the guidelines it's okay.

p.

mtbr member
    Jan 2005
    2008 frame
    230 lbs.
    3 months of general XC riding.
    Frame still together and going strong.
    I must be too heavy to break mine......

mtbr member
    Jun 2009

thank you for starting this thread.

170 lbs
    2008 frames
    1st broke after 25 rides this included 2 xc races. Terrain was single-track race courses.
    1st frame broke at seat support webbing.
    2nd frame broke after >60 rides this includes 7 xc races. Terrain was single-track race courses.
    2nd broke under top tube at headset gussets and in the normal place in the rear triangle.

Niner said I had the first broken frame return. June 08.

Could you add frame size to you survey? Mine is XL.

mtbr member
    Jan 2009

Have to wait 1.5 months for replacement rear triangle...that tells you something

1.) 230 lbs. ride weight.
    2.) rear triangle vertical brace, drive side
    3.) not sure
    4.) XC, single track
    5.) 08, original rear triangle, but updated rocker
    6.) attached
    7.) all of the above, races, took it to Moab, weekly rides, also use my Air 9.

broken jet 9 owners i have some questions?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

hey guys this thread is only for information purposes. if you own a jet 9 and its has become bent, cracked or broken, i would like to know the following information from you all...

1) whats your weight in pounds.
    2) where on your frame did your jet 9 break/crack/bend.
    3) where you going uphill or downhill when it happened.
    4) what type of terrain you were riding on when it happened.
    5) what year jet 9 you have 08/09
    6) pics optional
    7) are you using the jet as race bike for races and training or just a recreational rider using the jet for casual mountainbiking?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    1) 185#
    2) Top Tube behind the gusset and rear triangle at the support between the chain stays at the lower link.
    3) Happened during an Expert XC Race. Didn't notice till after the race. (Yikes!)
    4) Very rocky and rooty technical course with fast downhill sections (again, Yikes!)
    5) '09 purchased in mid May. Approx 600 miles on it.
    6) attaached
    7) Mostly races and training

Niner has a replacement RIP9 heading to my LBS soon. Thanks to Frank and the great CS.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    1. 185 lbs.
    2. Crack - Base of seat tube and bottom bracket on the weld. Non drive side.
    3. Not sure - found while cleaning. (2 months old)
    4. XC - fast singletrack
    5. 09
    6. Posted in previous thread.
    7. Weekly rides / train - no race

Niner just sent me a RIP, so I can "ride in peace". Thanks Frank!

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchellmmurphy
    1. 185 lbs.
    2. Crack - Base of seat tube and bottom bracket on the weld. Non drive side.
    3. Not sure - found while cleaning. (2 months old)
    4. XC - fast singletrack
    5. 09
    6. Posted in previous thread.
    7. Weekly rides / train - no race

Niner just sent me a RIP, so I can "ride in peace". Thanks Frank!

Am I getting this correct...your Jet frames are breaking and they are sending you a RIP?

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Yes, the Jet was super fun for 2 months and a great bike. But given the option from Niner to wait for 2 months for more Jets, coupled with the lingering feeling of when and where the frame will break again, my riding needs, and whether I will have to deal with this all over again - I opted for the RIP. As a consumer I could not ignore my experience and those of so many others.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    curious as to how you think the rip rides and feels compared to the jet, assuming you are riding the same parts ?? I have thought of getting a rip along with my jet for more fun on more technical and rocky trails, but would want a longer travel fork !!

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    My story is the same. No Jet9 availability for some time and a willingness on my part to accept a RIP9. Good customer service and I'm glad I bought mine at a LBS!

mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Ride comparison Jet/RIP

curious as to how you think the rip rides and feels compared to the jet, assuming you are riding the same parts ?? I have thought of getting a rip along with my jet for more fun on more technical and rocky trails, but would want a longer travel fork !!
    I don't have a whole lot of saddle time on a RIP but I recently did a 15 mile out and back where I rode my Jet for the first half and a RIP on the return. The contrast between the two bikes is tremendous. This is not to say that one rides better than the other - just much different - sorta like comparing a 911 and a Range Rover. The Jet is firm, crisp, responsive and quick - especially when carving through twisty single track. However, hit some rock gardens and some harsher terrain and you definitely feel it. The RIP on the other hand felt much more plush on the rougher terrain and overall felt much more stable - especially on steep declines or when navigating deep gullies.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Yes, the Jet was super fun for 2 months and a great bike. But given the option from Niner to wait for 2 months for more Jets, coupled with the lingering feeling of when and where the frame will break again, my riding needs, and whether I will have to deal with this all over again - I opted for the RIP. As a consumer I could not ignore my experience and those of so many others.
    Hmmmm
    Hope that I am never placed in this position as the RIP is not an option for me.

On top of it not suiting the type of riding I do or what I want from a bike it would also mean I needed to buy a new 120mm fork.

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Hope your not either.

Ambush
    Dec 2007
    185 lbs
    2) rear swing arm
    3) on the flats, but it was very cold, below zero and the locktite failed on a bolt
    4) flats

7) only had one short race on it due to an unrelated injury. Mostly recreational

Even with the rocker issue and the swing arm I feel that this bike is awesome. Niner replaced the swing arm immediately. I had a large frame which was too big for me 5' 11" and replaced it with a medium 09 Jet9 which I am racing hard. Love this bike!!

mtbr member
    I too opted for a RIP over a new Jet. According to my shop it could be many months before I get a new Jet. And honestly I don't want one. The thing is I'm not sure what to do with the RIP though. I don't feel like spending money building another bike and it's not really a race frame so it'll probably sit a while. Or I'll sell it. I just bought a Stumpjumper HT for my race bike at least I have something to race now.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by tigerwah
    I too opted for a RIP over a new Jet. According to my shop it could be many months before I get a new Jet. And honestly I don't want one. The thing is I'm not sure what to do with the RIP though. I don't feel like spending money building another bike and it's not really a race frame so it'll probably sit a while. Or I'll sell it. I just bought a Stumpjumper HT for my race bike at least I have something to race now.
    I have a similar situation. I ride primarily fast xc, some logs, roots, small drops/jumps and minimal rocks. I like to go fast up and down. At 210bls geared up and after braking several frames, I have come to the realization that I need a beefy frame. I will build my RIP reasonably xc light and maybe have a frame last for more than one season.

MTB B'dos
    I think you should continue to race your new HT and slowly gather parts to build the RIP9 up into a sweet Trail/AM type build and use it for FUN and then save some more for some lighter parts to swap onto the RIP9 for when the course is on the rougher side

Quote Originally Posted by tigerwah
    I'm wondering what'll happen with my '08 RIP9, will it last past the 2 years, at the rate I'm now riding, I really think so I think the ST redesign solved any breakage issues, so anyone who own's one is just left with a nice riding, although quite flexy bike until they can afford a newly redesigned one

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by LyNx
    I think you should continue to race your new HT and slowly gather parts to build the RIP9 up into a sweet Trail/AM type build and use it for FUN and then save some more for some lighter parts to swap onto the RIP9 for when the course is on the rougher side

I'm wondering what'll happen with my '08 RIP9, will it last past the 2 years, at the rate I'm now riding, I really think so I think the ST redesign solved any breakage issues, so anyone who own's one is just left with a nice riding, although quite flexy bike until they can afford a newly redesigned one
    This is the route I am trying to go. Swap most of my parts from my Jet over to the replacement RIP and keep it a leaner XC/AM ride. My question is will I notice a huge difference with a 120mm fork vs keeping the 100mm f29 from my Jet? The bummer is my wheelset from the Jet is the Easton XC two and uses 9mm QR. I would have to build a new front wheel for the 15mm QR the 120mm fox fork uses. Is it really worth it? I ride fast flatter XC single track - no racing. Would a 100mm fork keep the RIP a little more on the XC side or will it just ride kinda funky?

mtbr member
    Sep 2007
    I'm doing exactly what Lynx suggests. I'm rebuilding my Air9 as my light XC race bike and my new RIP9 as a fun AM bike. I've always wanted one. In fact, I'm even splurging ($'s and pounds) on the 12mm Maxle rear axle along with the 120mm Fox fork. FOrtunately, I've got Chris King hubs which can convert over to the QR15 and 12mm configs. The only hole in my quiver will be a long endurance race bike (24hr), but the RIP9 may still be able to do that.

mtbr member
    This is the route I am trying to go. Swap most of my parts from my Jet over to the replacement RIP and keep it a leaner XC/AM ride. My question is will I notice a huge difference with a 120mm fork vs keeping the 100mm f29 from my Jet? The bummer is my wheelset from the Jet is the Easton XC two and uses 9mm QR. I would have to build a new front wheel for the 15mm QR the 120mm fox fork uses. Is it really worth it? I ride fast flatter XC single track - no racing. Would a 100mm fork keep the RIP a little more on the XC side or will it just ride kinda funky?
    That's why I'm not sure what to do with it. I too was going to build it up with my Jet parts but I was starting to poder the same things you are. I've ridden a demo RIP and it's a great ride but it doesn't have a race feel to me. I think a 100mm fork would ruin the handling. Also I have the same situation with the wheels as you. That's why I went with the HT frame.

Another problem is that I just bought a Yeti 575. Originally I was going to build up a new RIP but I got a great deal on the Yeti. The RIP was going to cost a grand more to build. If I didn't already have the Yeti there is no doubt that I would build the RIP. Even though I prefer 29" the Yeti is pretty darn good and I don't need two AM bikes.

MTB B'dos
    I'd say don't do it, the old RIP9's were designed around a 100mm fork for their angles, the NEW ones are designed around 120mm forks for the same angles as the old RIP9s, so if you throw on a 100mm I think it would be very twitchy and not nice. I don't have a new RIP9, just the old version, but I have found that for me the handling is spot on using a 100mm fork with the old 38mm offset and doesn't change much when I tried a Manitou 120mm with the 42mm offset. Also don't forget, that FOX you have is a straight steerer version, if you want to take full advantage of the redesign on the RIP9 you'll want a tapered steerer fork

As to is 15mm/20mm TA worth it for XC? Well for me the simple answer is ABSOLUTELY! You easily notice how much truer the bike steers and tracks with that extra stiffness. One temporary solution you could try is using a DT RWS skewer - it's what I use on my old REBA and it did/has helped stiffen it up a bit and improve steering/tracking.

As to not having a nice endurance machine, Nah, just keep the lightweight wheels for when you want to do those and throw them on with some nice light weight Crossmarks or Racing Ralphs or your prefered XC tyre and I think you'll find it really makes the RIP9 a different machine. Build yourself some nice Flow or Gordo based wheels to really enjoy the RIP9 to it's full potential - once you go WIDe, you'll never go back

Bicycle rider
    I recently noticed my rear rocker was broken. I contacted Niner and was told it would be 2 to 4 weeks for a replacement. I am guessing that is really 6 to 8 weeks . Anyway, I was wondering if folks who are receiving the new rear triangle are also getting new bearing sent to them with the new triangle?

1) whats your weight in pounds. – 150 lbs
    2) where on your frame did your jet 9 break/crack/bend. – rear triangle
    3) where you going uphill or downhill when it happened. – don’t know, noticed when I went to lube the chain before a ride.
    4) what type of terrain you were riding on when it happened. – don’t know.
    5) what year jet 9 you have 08/09 - 2008
    6) pics optional – see below.
    7) are you using the jet as race bike for races and training or just a recreational rider using the jet for casual mountainbiking? – Training and racing.

Always Learning
    Do I call Niner directly on Monday? What's been the normal routine? Take the rear triangle off and ship it into them with a case #?

Thanks.

BB
    Last edited by BruceBrown; 08-30-2009 at 05:57 AM.

TR
    Angry bunny
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown
    Do I call Niner directly on Monday? What's been the normal routine? Take the rear triangle off and ship it into them with a case #?

Thanks.

BB
    Email Brett or Frank.
    They have sorted my 2 breakages quickly and fairly.

mtbr member
    May 2009

Thanks Niner!

I got my new replacement RIP9 this week and all I have to say is....
    SO MUCH FUN!

Definitely a different bike! I went for the 120mm fox fork and had to build up a new wheel for the front. Other than that all my parts swapped over from my Jet.

While I was flying down lines yesterday and laughing out loud, I thought to myself - What makes a great company great, is the ability to deliver on a simple promise - FUN. Niner was able to do that for me. In that split second of sheer joy... all the waiting, hassle, and frustration disappeared and I was left with just....FUN
    Last edited by mitchellmmurphy; 09-07-2009 at 06:58 AM. Reason: and here's a pic

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    The new rear triangle is supposed to come with new bearings, however I can't say for sure since I've been waiting since 7/13 for a new rear trianlge. I was quoted mid-August. If anyone is checking, it is September now.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I got my new replacement RIP9 this week and all I have to say is....
    SO MUCH FUN!

Definitely a different bike! I went for the 120mm fox fork and had to build up a new wheel for the front. Other than that all my parts swapped over from my Jet.

While I was flying down lines yesterday and laughing out loud, I thought to myself - What makes a great company great, is the ability to deliver on a simple promise - FUN. Niner was able to do that for me. In that split second of sheer joy... all the waiting, hassle, and frustration disappeared and I was left with just....FUN
    Yes I like my 09 RIP9 over the jet its like a jet9+ does all that the jet does & more.

How have you found the ride difference ?
    I have a 6 Berth & 2 Berth Motorhomes that I rent out . They are based in Tauranga, New Zealand

mtbr member
    May 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic
    Yes I like my 09 RIP9 over the jet its like a jet9+ does all that the jet does & more.

How have you found the ride difference ?
    The main thing is that I just point it and don't even think about it. I couldn't always do that with the Jet. BUT the speed and stiffness are still there, just like on the Jet. You made a good analogy calling it a Jet9+. It's tough to explain...but the vibrations from the trail came through the Jet more - so the RIP makes it feel like you are flying above the trail. The RIP carves turns in the twisty tight stuff a little more smoothly. When you point it to take a line 20 feet in front of you, it goes there, where on the Jet you kinda had to make sure you were still gonna hit that line after 10 feet. The Jet felt like it got up to speed quicker on the flats, a little more snappy and a little more fidgety. I like the way the RIP climbs better. The cool thing is I feel like I can adjust the character of the RIP more by adjusting the rear shock, a little stiffer for XC and open it up for a plusher ride. The Jet couldn't do that. I won't be going back

All in all - I am really happy with the RIP. I guess it was a set of fortunate events that got me here. I can see having it for a long time.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by scottg918514
    The new rear triangle is supposed to come with new bearings, however I can't say for sure since I've been waiting since 7/13 for a new rear trianlge. I was quoted mid-August. If anyone is checking, it is September now.
    The rear triangles come with bearings installed. Just mount it up.

Bicycle rider
    Quote Originally Posted by bikenut316
    The rear triangles come with bearings installed. Just mount it up.
    You are correct… I verified it with Frank at Niner.
    Studies show 100% of people die. Might as well have some fun.

Members who have read this thread: 0