Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: broke my wfo!

Underskilled

broke my wfo!

I have a major problem with my wfo and need help!

Niner Are shut and i am in a race tomorrow, so putting to the forum.

I run a dorado.
    When the wfo was new it fitted fine, i just spotted the bottom of headtube is rubbing on the fork. There is noticable damage to both.

Wtf is going on here?
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton

Broke? Really?

Well if Niner is closed for the weekend, I am sure that we can take care of you here on MTBR. Hold the bike a bit closer to the keyboard and we'll get you sorted out.

Seriously sorry to hear about that, though. I haven't had any problems with the Dorado crown on my WFO so no hot tips to offer.

Have you removed the headset to inspect? Or maybe the most logical first step would be visiting your local shop that built the bike (possibly incorrectly?) It also seems strange that this didn't show up under normal inspection and cleaning, or alert you with loud noises emanating from your headtube.

NMBP

Need a pic

A picture or two would speak a thousand words. Or at least ten.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    Ya man, post some close-ups. I'd be curious as to what I might be getting into in the future.

Underskilled
    Ok now with less wine i have realized i didn't
    give anywhere near enough info.

I will take apart this evening and photo.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Underskilled
    OK still not had time to look at it, but the most plausible cause of this is the headset has crumbled.

So need a new headset, but know little about integrated headsets.

Firstly, does anyone know what headset came with the frame?
    I have never had any issues with headsets until I used that piece of ****. I even had more reliability using a 10 headset I fitted using a lump hammer (don't ask, but it worked problem free for a year.)

So would this work?

http://www.tredz.co.uk/.Gravity%20By...dset_30756.htm

http://www.jejamescycles.co.uk/fsa-g...tem158552.html

Is there a Hope option for this frame?

Thanks,

P

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The integrated headset is nothing more than two bearings. The ones you posted are low-stack, semi-integrated headset or as CK calls them Inset. They have cups you press into the frame and will not work on the WFO.
    You can get the replacement "headset" from Niner:
    http://store.ninerbikes.com/Frame-Pa...-Taper-Headset
    CaneCreek might have the bearings/caps available as a "headset" package but I don't know the dimensions to find one. You need to take it apart and see exactly what crumbled and why before you purchase anything.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Is there anything that you take care of on a bike, that it doesn't fail? Or is Cave Man truly eponymous? Do you even go over and check your bike before every ride? Or stop riding if something doesn't feel right while riding?

Your sensationlism claiming your WFO broke in the header, really, is flat out wrong.

Underskilled
    Thanks for the help Nor.
    Randy go blow yourself ;-)

I have taken the bike apart and had a good look.
    Everything seems fine, apart from the reduced clearance!
    The wear on the frame is only 7-10 o,clock, the wear on the crown is all around.
    I am not worried about wfo, it looks solid in that area. The Dorado is very thin

Underskilled
    Are you sure the j e james one wont work it looks the right shape?

I live on a little island off the coast of france so gettung something shipped from the usa would take forever. Not to mention the niner supplied headset was the worst i have ever used

Underskilled
    From Drop Box

Underskilled
    You can clearly see from the picture above that there is wear from about 3-6 o'clock on the frame. It is strange that there is only wear on that side. somone who is better at this than me may be able to offer some clue?

The headset bearing feels fine, so am a bit of a loss as to what caused it.
    I have rebuilt my bike and it is OK, not rubbing but the clearence is almost non existant. There was about 1mm when new.

The frame's internal structure looks fine (that was my secret worry, which thankfully wasn't realised), and there is no way there was any change in the fork, so the only place the change can be is the headset.

Does anyone know what the technical name for these type of headsets is, I don't know what to ask for as apparently integrated is an overused term...

dammmitttt!!!!!

NMBP

MoJo Moto
    The uneven wear sounds like somthing bent...

how fast were you going when this one fell off the rack..?
    Ride Hard or Ride Home Alone.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    The semi-integrated wont work. Notice how a headset with the cups sits, the frame doens't have a groove for the headset. The machining on the frame would have to be identical for that headset to fit and I doubt it is.

The pic you posted is blurry, I can see some rubbed off area but one can't determine anything from it. I would measure the bearing all the way around with a caliper. Put it into the frame and see if it sits straight and level. Also check your crown race and see if it's bent. Check if the steer tube is bent.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    Stupid question but, was your headset tight enough? It's a snug fit and if it were a little loose, the bearings could shift in the frame enough to allow contact. Just a thought.

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"
    A possible solution might be a thin spacer between the crown and the race to spred things out a little, that is if everything else is straight and true.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    A possible solution might be a thin spacer between the crown and the race to spred things out a little, that is if everything else is straight and true.
    Maybe the crown race was never pressed down all the way ???

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by BMJ
    Stupid question but, was your headset tight enough? It's a snug fit and if it were a little loose, the bearings could shift in the frame enough to allow contact. Just a thought.
    Bingo. Your fork acts like a lever and it will cause wear at these points, and a loose headset will exacerbate this issue AND wear out the bearings faster. It could also be that a Dorado is just too much leverage for a typical ACB bearing to handle. I haven't noticed any accelerated wear on my similar setup, but I will keep an eye on it.

On another note, CG I feel for you, but pics of your bikes and their generally atrocious upkeep are a matter of public record here on MTBR... you have to start taking better care of your equipment! Clean it. Inspect it. Love it. Performance bikes require maintenance to keep them in good condition. Letting them fill with water, wrapping them with duct tape and skipping them across the freeway are not good ways to preserve them.

JMH

Underskilled
    woot, Drew at Niner to the rescue!

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH

On another note, CG I feel for you, but pics of your bikes and their generally atrocious upkeep are a matter of public record here on MTBR... you have to start taking better care of your equipment! Clean it. Inspect it. Love it. Performance bikes require maintenance to keep them in good condition. Letting them fill with water, wrapping them with duct tape and skipping them across the freeway are not good ways to preserve them.

JMH
    Hey that was a bit harsh.

I have been nice to my WFO!
    kept good care of it and not even once have I thrown it out of the back of my car!
    The filling with water thing was weird, hasn't happened again, no idea what caused it.
    Nothing wrong with duck tape either!

My upkeep is good, just because I don't polish my bikes doesn't mean the important bits are not very well looked after.

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Why don't you just take it to a bike shop and have someone who knows what they're doing take a look at it? Internet forums and telephone conversations will only get you so far. Especially when you don't know the correct terms for what you're looking at. Just take it in.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Hey that was a bit harsh.

I have been nice to my WFO!
    kept good care of it and not even once have I thrown it out of the back of my car!
    The filling with water thing was weird, hasn't happened again, no idea what caused it.
    Nothing wrong with duck tape either!

My upkeep is good, just because I don't polish my bikes doesn't mean the important bits are not very well looked after.
    Fair enough. Have you tracked down the issue? Crown race? Bearing?

This is what mine looks like...

JMH
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails broke my wfo!-img_5465.jpg  

Last edited by JMH; 08-31-2010 at 02:16 PM.

Underskilled
    Drew is looking into it and suggested a bike shop, I think that is a good idea.
    There could be something very obvious I am missing.

JMH that picture is interesting,
    Have a look at my fork fitted you will see what I mean.

http://picasaweb.google.com/11125374...eat=directlink

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by CaveGiant
    Drew is looking into it and suggested a bike shop, I think that is a good idea.
    There could be something very obvious I am missing.

JMH that picture is interesting,
    Have a look at my fork fitted you will see what I mean.

http://picasaweb.google.com/11125374...eat=directlink
    Ah yes. Your lower crown is totally flat on top, mine slopes away from the steerer. You have a good old fashioned compatibility issue there... some sort of thin spacer underneath your crown race would solve it, but that isn't always a viable option if it doesn't allow the race to get a good purchase on the steerer tube. IF you only need to gain yourself a MM or two it will probably work.

When your Dorado crown was designed, there were no (or very, very few) integrated headsets so they just didn't account for the possibility of a race that actually went inside a headtube a little bit.

JMH

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast