mtbr member

Boz's XL Jet 9 RDO

I finally pulled the trigger on a Jet 9 RDO. With a size XL frame, the build came in at 23.5 lbs with the Stan's wheels, but with my racing wheels (Easton EC90s) it weighs 22.6 lbs. That is 2.6 lbs heavier than my similarly spec'ed Niner Air 9 RDO, also an XL frame.

I looked hard at a Santa Cruz Tallboy and a Trek Superfly 100, Scott Spark 29, and Specialized Epic. Although I couldn't demo these bikes, my purchase all came down to finding the most efficient suspension system.

Of course, no sooner than the day after I had it built up, Niner announced a new version of this bike, which at first gave me a sinking feeling, but after looking closely at the new version, I'm glad I didn't wait, as all my wheels are 135mm, and there is no weight savings. Maybe one day I'll upgrade the upper linkage if that is possible, but maybe not. Besides, I need this bad boy for the race of all races here in Utah this weekend, the PCP2P (80 miles, 14k of climbing).

My first outing on the bike was no ride in the park, a 30+ mile loop of singletrack around Mt. Timpanogos in Utah, with 6,600 feet of climbing. I have to admit for the first couple miles the full suspension felt really weird. Even with it on the pro-pedal setting, I just wasn't used to my rear wheel moving all around as I climbed, and I didn't like it. I wasn't making it up technical climbs I normally clean. After a while I just learned to ignore the rear movement and just have confidence in the bike. I slowly grew more confident and was climbing well, even better over rocky technical stuff. Soon I noticed advantages, clearing big roots and small logs was a lot easier, as the rear end would flow over the obstacle instead of bucking me off or forward. This allowed me to stay on the bike during a nasty, root and log-filled section of trail that normally causes me to dismount several times.

I didn't set any PRs on this ride comparing this to the last time I rode this route on my Air 9 RDO, however I came in with some 2nd bests. I definitely felt fresher after this ride, especially after the downhill sections. I'm normally beat up after a long downhill on my Air 9, but with the Jet 9 I was still having fun. Its nice being able to sit down during some slight downhills and bumpy flat sections.

I'll continue to play with the rear shock and cockpit. So far I'm very pleased.

Components: SRAM XX
    Fork: RockShox Sid World Cup XX
    Bar: Crank Bros Cobalt 11 Flat 680mm
    Stem: Ritchey WCS 260
    Wheels: Stans Arch EX
    Saddle: Selle Italia SLR TT
    Grips: Ritchey foam

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Photobucket

Carbon & Ti rule
    Have a good race & enjoy your new bike.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    How tall are you? I'm considering a Jet 9 RDO for my next ride.

mtbr member
    Yeah, I second that. You must be pretty tall with all the stem stackers on there. Are you a big guy too? I have yet to find anyone over 250 riding an RDO. I am still looking for some real world experience frame some larger Clydes.
    "Boom"........"Regard me".

mtbr member
    I'm 6'3", so I actually could have gone with a large, but I think the XL fits great for me with a 100mm stem

I will lower the stem a bit, you can always subtract but you can't add on...

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by The Boz View Post
    I'm 6'3", so I actually could have gone with a large, but I think the XL fits great for me with a 100mm stem

I will lower the stem a bit, you can always subtract but you can't add on...
    Just flip the stem negative (leave the spacers as is for now) to get racer handling up front and feel what it would be like with a bit less in stack height without having to cut anything.

Bike looks great - enjoy!!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan View Post
    Yeah, I second that. You must be pretty tall with all the stem stackers on there. Are you a big guy too? I have yet to find anyone over 250 riding an RDO. I am still looking for some real world experience frame some larger Clydes.
    I am 6'4" and 265lbs and have an rdo. I have had zero issues with the bike regarding my size. If you have any specific questions, ask away.

mtbr member
    Sweet, not to derail "Boz'z" thread but the more XL RDO's the better.

Kuykendallc, glad to finally hear of a decent sized Clyde on an RDO. Very reassuring. A few quick questions to ya.
    How is the later flex if any? What size tire are you using in the rear? Any flex in the wheels? I'm asking since I've had a 135 dropout on my last FS (Spesh FSR) and the rear triangle would flex so much that my 2.0" tire would rub on the seat stays (the new 142x12 is moe betta) Those were 36 count spokes - Kings to Flows as well.
    Are you running the normal RP23 with pro pedal? Is there a lot of pedal bob when standing and mashing away? What kind of trails do you ride? Any drops?
    can you fit a 180mm disk break in the rear?

Finally, post up a pic of your bike if you get a second. I'm curious how far the seat post sticks out in relation to handlebar drop.

Boz, sorry for crashing your thread. Your Niner looks sweet!

mtbr member
    I don't notice any lateral flex. I am running king to arch ex 32h 3cross dt swiss alpine 3 dh spokes. I also run a 10mm rear through axel. I am still running the standard rp23 with pro pedal on 2 and 200 psi, with this I get no or very little pedal Bob. I live in Oklahoma so our terrain is subdue compared to other parts of the country, however we do have some really rocky technical trails in eastern Oklahoma and the rdo eats them up. I am running 180/160 f/r discs so I can't answer the 180 r question. Currently have a 120mm/10 stem so not much drop. I will post a picture later when I am at home and not on my phone.

Carbon & Ti rule
    I run 180mm rotors front & rear & they fit fine, 185 fits to.

Quote Originally Posted by Bunyan View Post
    Sweet, not to derail "Boz'z" thread but the more XL RDO's the better.

Kuykendallc, glad to finally hear of a decent sized Clyde on an RDO. Very reassuring. A few quick questions to ya.
    How is the later flex if any? What size tire are you using in the rear? Any flex in the wheels? I'm asking since I've had a 135 dropout on my last FS (Spesh FSR) and the rear triangle would flex so much that my 2.0" tire would rub on the seat stays (the new 142x12 is moe betta) Those were 36 count spokes - Kings to Flows as well.
    Are you running the normal RP23 with pro pedal? Is there a lot of pedal bob when standing and mashing away? What kind of trails do you ride? Any drops?
    can you fit a 180mm disk break in the rear?

Finally, post up a pic of your bike if you get a second. I'm curious how far the seat post sticks out in relation to handlebar drop.

Boz, sorry for crashing your thread. Your Niner looks sweet!

mtbr member
    Aug 2011
    If anyone is interested, I have an XL Jet 9 RDO for sale in the classifieds. If you're not wild about the Lefty (which I love), let me know and I will consider re-listing with Fox 120 fork.

Thanks,
    Seth

mtbr member
    Here is the pic I promised, just a day late. Full XX with Magura MT8 brakes. Thomson post, stem, and Fizik alliante seat. When I get a better pic, i'll post it.

mtbr member
    Your bike looks great! I'd probably be on the verge of being too tall for the bike since you at 6'4" are already using a 120/10 deg stem, alot of spacers and a set back seat post. I wish they made a XXL size.

mtbr member
    I didn't know guys your size rode mountain bikes. I thought they all rode Harley's!

mtbr member
    May 2008
    I am 6'6" and 225 and ride an xl rdo. Very stiff compared to lots of bikes I have owned

mtbr member
    Very Cool!