mtbr member

Bio-Centric EBB Fix

Posted this in the 29er forum too.

This is a lot quicker than a few of the "fixes" I've seen posted (some which include voodoo dolls and witchery).

Clean the shell and ebb with alcohol, lightly sand with 100 grit sand paper, and wipe clean. Then coat the shell, ebb, faces, and bolt with Oatey Great White Joint Compound ($2.00 at Home Depot). Tighten up and ride, creak free.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by Mattyd
    Posted this in the 29er forum too.

This is a lot quicker than a few of the "fixes" I've seen posted (some which include voodoo dolls and witchery).

Clean the shell and ebb with alcohol, lightly sand with 100 grit sand paper, and wipe clean. Then coat the shell, ebb, faces, and bolt with Oatey Great White Joint Compound ($2.00 at Home Depot). Tighten up and ride, creak free.
    I have been doing the same with anti-sieze compound with good results.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    How's the pipe dope fix holdin' up?? Ready to try yet another solution for the creaky ebb.

mtbr member
    I have about 100 miles on it and it's silent (including a 35 mile ride yesterday with LOTS of climbing).

I think it's a good fix. Let me know how it works for you if you try it out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I might have to try this. I've never had creaking issues (knock on wood), but I frequently have slipping issues. The teflon tape fix works for a little while, but I re-do it every month or two.

One question - how much of the joint compound should I use? Pretty liberal coating?

Thanks - hopefully this leads to a more maintenance free EBB on my SIR!

mtbr member
    Yeah, pretty liberally.

I coated the EBB shell and EBB (including the face that sits against the shell face).
    It was enough to squish out as I tightened it up.

Very happy with the find.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Thanks. I did the setup last night. I'll let you know how it works for me!

mtbr member
    This stuff? http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Oate...e-6596696.html, my local Home Depot does not have

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by adoble
    This stuff? http://www.hardwareandtools.com/Oate...e-6596696.html, my local Home Depot does not have
    Not so sure it has to be the same stuff. I'm guessing they have a brand of liquid (paste) pipe joint compound.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    I used the plumber's putty trick and it seemed to quiet the noise. Granted, my test ride was only a few minutes on the trail, but good so far. I also had to face the BB, that shell was way out.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by msugma
    I might have to try this. I've never had creaking issues (knock on wood), but I frequently have slipping issues. The teflon tape fix works for a little while, but I re-do it every month or two.

One question - how much of the joint compound should I use? Pretty liberal coating?

Thanks - hopefully this leads to a more maintenance free EBB on my SIR!
    So far so good for me! It's been about 2 weeks since I tried this. I've ridden maybe 100-150 miles, including a fair amount of trail riding and I've had no slippage and no creaking! Seems like a good fix. Thanks for sharing!

mtbr member
    Seems to have worked for me too, thanks for the recommendation!

bike rider
    My mechanic is doing this for me right now and my first Real ride will be tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works. My HomeDepot didn't have Oatleys Great White (which is weird, they had every other Oatleys product) so I was recommended Rectorseal T PLUS 2. We'll see how it works, I'll post after my ride tomorrow. Right now it sounds like shards of Carbon Fiber being ripped apart every time I put down some power. NOT GOOD!
    I got some pretty decent Niners!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by mattkock
    My mechanic is doing this for me right now and my first Real ride will be tomorrow. I'll let you know how it works. My HomeDepot didn't have Oatleys Great White (which is weird, they had every other Oatleys product) so I was recommended Rectorseal T PLUS 2. We'll see how it works, I'll post after my ride tomorrow. Right now it sounds like shards of Carbon Fiber being ripped apart every time I put down some power. NOT GOOD!
    I don't have any experience with Carbon (yet, hopefully at some point in the future), but for aluminum and steel, it's working. I've got 200+ and going still going silent and in one place.

Real interested to hear how it works with carbon - have a feeling it will be the same. Good luck.