Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Mar 2011

Best Rack for a "L" RIP9?

Hi,

I have a Niner RIP9 in size large and would like to hear back what is your favorite hitch rack. Also while I will not be full out 4-wheeling I would like a rack that can support at least two bikes on rutted fire roads, etc. After reading all the reviews on the MTBR these are my prospects. The question is what will work best for my 29er?

It is for a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser with a 2" receiver. It has a tail gate, and a hatch.

So far checking out the following racks but I am all ears.

1up USA(would pay for the 2nd extension at a later date) $349+ship
    Yakima 2433 Hold Up (2" Hitch) $377
    Thule 916XTR T2 Hitch (2" Hitch) $395
    Kuat 2 Bike NV Rack $529 (this is really out of my budget)

Climbs = necessary evil
    I have a large RIP9 and an 5-7 yr old version of the Thule Hitch rack. It works, but the bar is a tight fit over the front tire. EDIT: Looks like at the end of my thread below someone replied a few weeks back that the newer models wit with no problem.

I started a thread on the tight fitment here...

Older Thule hitch rack barely fits 29" tire

BTW - I LOVE the functionality of that rack!
    Last edited by rogerfromco; 01-02-2013 at 06:15 AM.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    i have a WFO9 on a 1up USA.. very light and convenient at around 25lbs. it's a big factor to consider when you remove and install the rack a lot..

Drinkin' the RIP9 Koolaid
    I have a large RIP9 and use the Hollywood rack. Amazon.com: Hollywood Racks HR1000 Sport Rider 2-Bike Platform Style Hitch Mount Rack (1.25 and 2-Inch Receiver): Sports & Outdoors

I've gone through some very rough terrain with it (I have the 4 bike version) fully loaded and had no problems at all. It's very stable, very secure, and very easy to use. It's also less expensive than the ones you are looking at (for the 2 bike version).

mtbr member
    I have a T2 on my Land Cruiser and its great. We only have 29ers and they fit perfectly. I like it better than the OneUpUSA that I have on my car.

mtbr member
    1UP is hands down the best rack I've owned.

I started with the 1Up single rack which is what I use 98% of the time. I also have the add-on on the occasions that I transport a 2nd bike. Installing & removing the rack from the hitch takes 30 seconds... literally... and even less time to load and unload your bike.

mtbr member
    I have a saris thelma and had a large rip on it at one time for a few months. The new ones have a slightly larger "U" that reaches farther out to grab the back wheel better. Mine is the first gen and it fits all my 26" bikes great but since it was for shorter bikes it can leave the rear tire a bit low on longer 29" bikes.

My buddy has the new one and it fits his specialized epic really well.

Just another option.
    "I'm the fastest of the slow guys"

change is good
    Sep 2004
    1UpUSA, better than my old T2.
    1. Lighter
    2. Folds into a small, easily storable size.
    3. Able to only use one rack.
    4. Very quick to install/remove.
    5. Made in the US.
    6. Good customer service.

Two of my friends bought 1up racks and they love them.

Downside - expensive.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Sure appreciate all of the thoughtful replies.

The Hollywood rack: This rack is a good price but I'm not too keen on the plastic hitch adapter from 1.25 to 2".

The 1up USA sounds like a winner but the admission price is steep in comparison to the T2. I like that it is all aluminum and will not rust.

Saris Thelma This rack is priced right but the max weight is 35lbs per bike...probably under 35 but I'm a big fan of overbuilt!

Also I should mention weight is not of any real concern...the Toyota is a beast and this rack will stay on 90% of the year.

Thule T2...appears to be a fairly good deal for carrying two 29ers. Sounds like Thule has everything figured out with the latest revision.

**Yakima Swing Daddy...anybody successfully run this with a Rip9? Using the optional Yakima cross bar doesn't inspire too much confidence. Being able to swing the bikes out of the way would be handy on road trips.

mtbr member
    Nov 2011
    since weight and un/install is not a factor.. Thule T2 is your best option.. my buddy has it and can also be converted to a single bike rack by removing the tilting arms.

i never liked the mast/hanger type bike racks.. it will scratch and scuff the bike frame in time..

29er
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by quelocotony View Post
    1UP is hands down the best rack I've owned.

if you get anything else you are just wasting your time

mtbr member
    Hey Gringo,

On Sunday I will make a comparison video with both of my racks (Thule T2 and 1upUSA) using my Niner and then you be able to see the pros and cons of each.

Twin Six METAL Team
    I honestly can't recommend the Kuat NV enough! I love mine, and the built-in maintenance stand comes in handy when you need it at a race, etc! Their customer service is top-notch as well. I broke the cam that secures the rack into the receiver, and Kuat had the free replacement part to me within 24 hours.

Another plus, is it will carry a fat bike without any crazy mods!

Climbs = necessary evil
    Quote Originally Posted by SR.GRINGO View Post
    Hi,

I have a Niner RIP9 in size large and would like to hear back what is your favorite hitch rack. Also while I will not be full out 4-wheeling I would like a rack that can support at least two bikes on rutted fire roads, etc. After reading all the reviews on the MTBR these are my prospects. The question is what will work best for my 29er?

It is for a 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser with a 2" receiver. It has a tail gate, and a hatch.

So far checking out the following racks but I am all ears.

1up USA(would pay for the 2nd extension at a later date) $349+ship
    Yakima 2433 Hold Up (2" Hitch) $377
    Thule 916XTR T2 Hitch (2" Hitch) $395
    Kuat 2 Bike NV Rack $529 (this is really out of my budget)
    Sounds like owners of all of them are happy - none suck! So that said, keep your eye on Craigslist and other such sites. I picked our Thule for $175 on CL.

mtbr member

X2 on the NV

This rack has performed flawless. Even ran into them at Iceman this year. They told me they redeisgned some parts. I told them what I had (NV) and he said I will send you some of the updated parts free of charge no questions asked. I emailed him when I got home and 1 week later parts at my door. No questions asked lifetime warranty, lite weight, easy on and off. And the bikes are held in very soundly.
    1983 Ross Custom Deluxe Mtb
    2009 GF Cobia
    2011 NINER EMD
    2014 Giant Anthem Advanced 1 27.5

SAVE GAS RIDE A MTB BIKE

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by RunningW View Post
    Hey Gringo,

On Sunday I will make a comparison video with both of my racks (Thule T2 and 1upUSA) using my Niner and then you be able to see the pros and cons of each.
    Thanks,

Looking forward to this. The One Up sounds awesome but the price is of the T2 is pretty attractive figuring you can invite your friend as well!

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by rogerfromco View Post
    Sounds like owners of all of them are happy - none suck! So that said, keep your eye on Craigslist and other such sites. I picked our Thule for $175 on CL.
    Thanks...I have been watching Craigslist just in case one pops up...there is one for $200 but the newest version has the longer bars...making the 29er much easier to use...

mtbr member
    Here you go, a comparison vid of the Thule and 1upUSA: 1upUSA vs Thule T2 Bike Rack - YouTube

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Here you go, a comparison vid of the Thule and 1upUSA: 1upUSA vs Thule T2 Bike Rack - YouTube
    Thanks for taking the time to put together this comparison video. I have a growing family so it looks like the T2 is going to work out best for my use. The 2" receiver is a big deal for me....much more robust.

I'm impressed with your vehicle choices as well...I have a LS400 lined up to buy as a daily driver in the next year or so from the original owner...it only has 135k! The 100 is not easy on gas!

Thanks again!

mtbr member
    I have a Kuat NV and am pretty happy with it...no issues at all.

I don't leave it on the car when not in use.
    There is no magic bike, it is all about the magic you put in it.
    -Willow Rockwell

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    My buddy and I both use Swagman racks, he has the 4 bike model, I have the two bike. Super sturdy, easy peasy lemon squeezy, and pretty inexpensive even when bought new.

Oh yeah, and I ride a RIP9, so I know it works.
    Without heroes, we are all plain people, and don't know how far we can go. Bernard Malamud

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by SR.GRINGO View Post
    Thanks for taking the time to put together this comparison video. I have a growing family so it looks like the T2 is going to work out best for my use. The 2" receiver is a big deal for me....much more robust.
    I don't have either, but thought it only fair to point out that the one up rack is also available with a 2" receiver...

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    I don't have either, but thought it only fair to point out that the one up rack is also available with a 2" receiver...

Sent from my Galaxy S3 using Tapatalk 2
    It comes with an adapter to make it a 2". So it's still a 1.25" mount, just in an adapter...

mtbr member
    It comes with an adapter to make it a 2". So it's still a 1.25" mount, just in an adapter...
    Only true if you are buying the single rack. If you buy a double rack right off the bat, it also comes with a true 2" receiver.

Silver:
    1UPUSA.com :: Double Quik Rack Silver

Black:
    1UPUSA.com :: Double Quik Rack Black

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by albertdc View Post
    Only true if you are buying the single rack. If you buy a double rack right off the bat, it also comes with a true 2" receiver.

Silver:
    1UPUSA.com :: Double Quik Rack Silver

Black:
    1UPUSA.com :: Double Quik Rack Black

I wish they had that when I bought my single then the add on....

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast