mtbr member
    May 2012

BB for 2012 air 9 with shimano xt crank

Here is a link to a BB recommended by a jenson rep to work with a shimano crank. Does anybody have any experience with this adapter?

Origin 8 BB30 Shimano MTN Adapter Kit > Components > Drivetrain > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop

Niner makes a press-in adapter that will allow you to thread in a standard xt BB, but the adapter alone is about double the price of the above link. Then you still need to buy the Shimano BB on top of that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2011
    I have no experience using that adapter kit you've mention but instead I'm using this one up to now.

Truvativ Pressfit 30 Bottom Bracket > Components > Drivetrain > Bottom Brackets | Jenson USA Online Bike Shop.

Since i've got my exisiting shimano xt crank, i settled on that adapter.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    OP - That is a bb30 kit that you linked to. The Jenson rep made a mistake because the frame is pf30
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Hanky- I originally ordered that same BB. As soon as I opened it I knew it was wrong. The I.D. is too big for a shimano spline. XT splines are 24mm.

People-I said the same thing to the rep. I ordered the frame and crank from jenson so the rep was able to pull up my order and see exactly what parts I am using. He insisted it was correct. I haven't received the BB or crank yet so I can't say you are wrong. I was skeptical also. Thats why I started this post. I do know the BB Hanky posted will not work. It fits the frame but not a shimano crank. I pulled an xt crank off a bike I already have and it doesn't fit that BB. I'll post more when the parts arrive.

mtbr member
    May 2012
    *spindle...not spline

mtbr member
    May 2012
    I just found this post on here. It shows an adapter that works with both BB30 and PF30 to allow the use of a shimano crank with a 24mm spindle. Hopefully the one I ordered will do the same.

Bottom Bracket Standards - a guide to BB30, PF30, and Outboard Bearing compatibility

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Ok. I called Jenson back. The BB I posted above is wrong. You were correct People. The Jenson rep made a mistake. They hooked me up with the right BB and gave me free overnight shipping to make up for the the mistake which I thought was pretty cool of them. Its a race face BB and he said he contacted a niner rep to confirm it would work. Here is the link.

Race Face 2013