Space Ghost

Back in the fold...

Pics first!

[URL=http://s109.photobucket.com/user/Coach417/media/DSC00991.jpg.html]

2014 Alloy RIP9 Large
    Fox Talas 34 140-110
    Sram XO1 1x11
    Avid Elixir 9 Trail brakes (the new 4 piston set)
    Profile Elite hubs/Arch EX rims
    Conti X-King Protection 2.2/2.4

I have a about 100 miles on now. So I figured it would be time for some thoughts. My previous Niners were the gen2 Rip in '09 and an 80mm travel alloy Jet. Loved the RIP, liked the Jet. I have ridden 29ers exclusively since '06, although I demoed the new Giant Trances (Advanced, SX, and Trance 1). 27.5 is not for me. I am coming off a 15 month relationship with a pimped out Trance X O. The Trance is a great bike, but for me was more of a long travel XC bike. I know there are guys that could go ride the Red Bull Rampage on it, but I am not that guy. The new RIP is very stiff, pedals great, and handles nicely. I even got to ride my old bike today, no regrets.
    Things that stand out for me. The 34 Talas, WOW, I think the new Fox forks are a HUGE improvement over the last offerings. Nicely progressive, no deep dive, good small bump compliance. But, the most important is how much stiffer the 34 is. Absolutely confidence inspiring. The frame's stiffness is just what I was hoping for. The Trance was very light. 6 lbs or less for a large. the RIP is more like 7 I would guess. I had my Trance down to 27 lbs. 4 oz. with NO carbon. The Talas is about .75 lb heavier than the old 32 Float, and the frame is 1 lb. heavier. The RIP is currently tipping the scales at 29 lbs 4 oz. For ME, the extra weight is well worth the trade off.
    Negatives. I have yet to get full travel out of the rear or fork. The exposed stanchion only measures 135mm on the fork and I am moving the O ring up to about 10mm from the crown. The rear, I am guessing that I am using about 115mm of the 125. I am 6' 195ish ready to ride and running only 110 psi in the fork and 170 psi in the Monarch. I always got full travel out of the Trance. Next ride I will drop 5 psi front and rear. The ride is plush enough and pedals great. As a matter of fact, it is the best climber I have ever owned! (and that is leaving the fork at full travel).
    Eventually I will build Light Bike set of wheels with my Profile hubs. Also, will put my XT brakes on instead of the Avids.
    Lastly, my old RIP and Jet are in those build threads.
    "No good deed goes unpunished"

Sim
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Nice bike! I like the color matched bars.

I am looking at a Rip9 and trying to figure sizing. What height do you have your seat at and what is your inseam. Thanks

Carbon & Ti rule
    I'm 6 foot, Ride a large Rip9 & run my seat at 800mm

Sim
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Thanks Muzz. I have my seat height at 830 mm, I am trying to make a large fit but I have this insanely long inseam , 36". I am riding a XL Yelli Screamy and it has a 20" seat tube and is working good. The reach on the Canfield shows 451 mm with a 100 mm fork. I'm guessing it would be around 430 with a 140 fork. The rip is 425 mm reach. Close enough to make it work. I will think about it a little more but I'm leaning heavily towards the large. Thanks for replying!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice looking bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Coach417 View Post
    Pics first!

[URL=http://s109.photobucket.com/user/Coach417/media/DSC00991.jpg.html]

2014 Alloy RIP9 Large
    Fox Talas 34 140-110
    Sram XO1 1x11
    Avid Elixir 9 Trail brakes (the new 4 piston set)
    Profile Elite hubs/Arch EX rims
    Conti X-King Protection 2.2/2.4

I have a about 100 miles on now. So I figured it would be time for some thoughts. My previous Niners were the gen2 Rip in '09 and an 80mm travel alloy Jet. Loved the RIP, liked the Jet. I have ridden 29ers exclusively since '06, although I demoed the new Giant Trances (Advanced, SX, and Trance 1). 27.5 is not for me. I am coming off a 15 month relationship with a pimped out Trance X O. The Trance is a great bike, but for me was more of a long travel XC bike. I know there are guys that could go ride the Red Bull Rampage on it, but I am not that guy. The new RIP is very stiff, pedals great, and handles nicely. I even got to ride my old bike today, no regrets.
    Things that stand out for me. The 34 Talas, WOW, I think the new Fox forks are a HUGE improvement over the last offerings. Nicely progressive, no deep dive, good small bump compliance. But, the most important is how much stiffer the 34 is. Absolutely confidence inspiring. The frame's stiffness is just what I was hoping for. The Trance was very light. 6 lbs or less for a large. the RIP is more like 7 I would guess. I had my Trance down to 27 lbs. 4 oz. with NO carbon. The Talas is about .75 lb heavier than the old 32 Float, and the frame is 1 lb. heavier. The RIP is currently tipping the scales at 29 lbs 4 oz. For ME, the extra weight is well worth the trade off.
    Negatives. I have yet to get full travel out of the rear or fork. The exposed stanchion only measures 135mm on the fork and I am moving the O ring up to about 10mm from the crown. The rear, I am guessing that I am using about 115mm of the 125. I am 6' 195ish ready to ride and running only 110 psi in the fork and 170 psi in the Monarch. I always got full travel out of the Trance. Next ride I will drop 5 psi front and rear. The ride is plush enough and pedals great. As a matter of fact, it is the best climber I have ever owned! (and that is leaving the fork at full travel).
    Eventually I will build Light Bike set of wheels with my Profile hubs. Also, will put my XT brakes on instead of the Avids.
    Lastly, my old RIP and Jet are in those build threads.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    Thanks Muzz. I have my seat height at 830 mm, I am trying to make a large fit but I have this insanely long inseam , 36". I am riding a XL Yelli Screamy and it has a 20" seat tube and is working good. The reach on the Canfield shows 451 mm with a 100 mm fork. I'm guessing it would be around 430 with a 140 fork. The rip is 425 mm reach. Close enough to make it work. I will think about it a little more but I'm leaning heavily towards the large. Thanks for replying!
    The top part of the seat tube is on quite a bit of an Angle so at 830mm seat height that will move the seat back quite a bit as well, Giving more room.

I'm a little busy for the next 6 or 7 hours but can lift my seat to 830mm & give you a length from the front of the seat to center of the top head tube bearing.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    Not to nitpick, but one thing I noticed is you have the rear derailleur cable running along the cable guides for a dropper seatpost. It should run along the right side of the downtube, mirroring the rear brake cable on the other side.

Sim
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    The top part of the seat tube is on quite a bit of an Angle so at 830mm seat height that will move the seat back quite a bit as well, Giving more room.

I'm a little busy for the next 6 or 7 hours but can lift my seat to 830mm & give you a length from the front of the seat to center of the top head tube bearing.
    That would be greatt. Thanks

Space Ghost
    Feel free. I didn't build it, but agree, it looks a bit odd. There is actually another guide right below that one. As in there are two sets of guides on the rt. side of the top tube. As a side note, I realized i am getting full travel out of the rear. The shocks stroke apparently does not travel the entire length. Not sure if I am saying that right, but I took all the air out of the shock and compressed the bike and there was still 10mm of shock exposed.

mtbr member
    Jun 2004
    The other set of guides would be for front derailleur.

Space Ghost
    ohhhhh. Gotcha.

Space Ghost
    Der. Cable rerouted. Much cleaner. I remember my other rip and jet going that way.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Sim View Post
    That would be greatt. Thanks
    Ok with the seat at 830mm. from front of the seat to center of top bearing is 525mm.

Because all seats are not the same, On the none set back seat post, From center of seat post just under the seat clamping area is 670mm to center of the top bearing.

This is on my Lge Green Alloy Rip9

Sim
    mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Ok with the seat at 830mm. from front of the seat to center of top bearing is 525mm.

Because all seats are not the same, On the none set back seat post, From center of seat post just under the seat clamping area is 670mm to center of the top bearing.

This is on my Lge Green Alloy Rip9
    I measure 680 mm on my Yelli. The large should work fine.

I appreciate your help. I have read through numerous threads and you are always there to offer help and encouragement to other riders. That is a quality that is not often found. Thanks again!