mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004

argg. jet front derailler hellppp needed.

i hope i'm just not seeing the forest for the trees... i did a search, i read niner's specs...i bought a sram x-7 hi clamp dual pull front derailler... should have taken 15 minutes, but i'm getting all sorts of issues.

when set up from the start so the arc of the derailler is 2-3mm above 44 it looks good, but when i drop it into the 22 the chain is touching the bottom of the derailler on anything smaller than the 2nd largest cog in the back... and this is the closest i've come to getting it correct...
    yes, i've started over from scratch, and i'm going back out there now, just venting a little...
    i feel like maybe i'm just missing something!
    disclaimer: i (NO LONGER) live with my mom...

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    Put some air in the shock, and sit on the bike while in 22 up front. The suspension will sag under your weight and the chain shouldn't be hitting the derailleur.

At least thats how it works on my Jet9 with an XT derailleur.

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    thanks! i got it now! redid it from the start with that exact same scenario...just not thinking ya know! been a while since riding with a rear shock!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    what happens once the suspension is at normal sag?

mcd
    uh, uh...oh, i forget
    Jan 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 29Clyde
    what happens once the suspension is at normal sag?

set one large fat butt on seat, bottom bracket drops down a touch, which raises the chain a scootch, which allows for no rubby on bottom of front derailler, in top 4 rear cogs. nowhuttimean?

Underskilled
    I have a similar thing on the WFO, just have to remember not to backpedal in the small ring with no weight on.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

MTB B'dos
    Sounds weird to me I can't say I've ever experienced this in setting up any of the bikes I own or that others bring to me for service/setup The only thing I "allow" for is rear wheel tension to keep tension on the chain (I will lightly rest my hand on the tyre while I pedal to simulate tension), but if I have to sit on the bike to stop rubbing I think something's wrong. What happens then if you're in granny ring and those 3 biggest cogs out back (mostly where you are when in granny ring and climbing) and you're out of the saddle with all your weight forward cranking on the pedals Wasn't 100% awake when I posted this, just wanted to add, that in the granny ring you should be able to use all the way down to the 6 cogs without any issues and if yoiu really set it up right the 7 and maybe 8. Seems something weird is going on there for the chain to rub while on the 3rd cog
    Last edited by LyNx; 06-09-2010 at 10:59 AM.
    One day your life will flash before your eyes, will it be worth watching??
    MTB Barbados
    My Phantom pics

Underskilled
    I was wondering what would happen if your bike enters the air, the chain will smash into the chainstay.

probably the least of your concerns on the jet, the snapping seatstays would be high up my priorities list ;-)

I should add for non sulky Niner purposes that the issue with the seat stays snapping has probably been repaired on the current version, so don't sulk.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?