mtbr member
    Jun 2009

Anything New Coming Up? Surprise us Niner!

I've been rolling with my RIP for a year now and I love my bike to bits. I must confess, I got a 26er FR bike to cover heavier side of things since I started to do jumps and drops. Not that my RIP can't handle anything that we have locally here, but sometimes, I just feel safe that the bike I'm riding on is purposely built for what it's suppose to do. I tried the WFO courtesy of my LBS lending me the frame, with some of my RIP components transferred in the duration that I had it with me. I had a blast with it. When I returned it, it was one of the saddest part of my hobby. I couldn't afford to have the WFO as a second bike (the frame and fork alone cost big wads above the built 26er FR bike I got, ok, here goes...a KHS Lucky 7)...I sure didn't want to give up my RIP9.

Anything coming up on the FR or DH side of things? I know the WFO a covers a portion of both (FR and DH) but do we have anything on the burlier side of things? 7" and above? I know, there are hardware availability and support limits such as fork, shock..etc. I might give up my current FR bike if there's some reason for me to save up for it, like at least a glimpse of upcoming models.

...At least an FR HT that can handle a 140mm fork or so?

jk
    mtbr member
    Meh, they can't get their current lineup out how or why would they come out with new models?!?!?!?!

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jk
    Meh, they can't get their current lineup out how or why would they come out with new models?!?!?!?!
    True that!

Where's Toto?
    I'd guess if Niner had a reliable source for carbon fiber production, we'd see a Rip9C and Jet9C. However, when the monster companies have first dibs and everyone else is struggling with sloppy seconds on carbon production, it's gonna be tough to promise anything.

Missouri sucks...
    Jun 2009
    I know it's the Niner forum and all but have you seen the Banshee Paradox??? It fits the description of what you're wanting

30-ton War Machine
    I am curious why the OP stated the WFO going back was one of the saddest days for him and yet asks for something more.....If you are so moto that you think you are going to break a WFO then buy one and see if you can do it. I would bet that it will surprise you even more. I walked away from my buddy today on our ride and he was on his WFO and I was on my JET. The niner full suspension "feels" like a lot more travel than it is physically capable of and allows me on an 80mm of travel bike to run away from a 140mm travel bike on a straight down-hill race course.
    For the Niner haters, why not go whine in another forum? Niner is growing at a rampant rate and there are bound to be growing pains with any company when that happens.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    A bigger bike would be really fun, but let's be realistic. They would sell maybe 50 frames. Compare that to selling 500 JETs or RIPs, and you can understand why it's not a huge focus for Niner or anyone else at the moment. I have spoken with Hayes about sales numbers for the 29er Dorado and even though they didn't give an exact number it's not too many, and that's to EVERY 29er manufacturer, not just Niner. The market just isn't there yet.

I don't think the OP was saying he thought he would break the WFO, he said it was too expensive to have a WFO and a RIP, which makes a lot of sense.

It seems to me that Niner could use a year of small changes in the lineup and big changes in the supply chain. As edgerat said, it's tough to get past the hurdles of rapid growth, and I think Niner is doing as well as can be expected while keeping their original soul intact.

My 2 cents...

JMH

There's always next year.

Something may be up...

Looking at Speedgoat's blog this morning, they are BLOWING out WFO and RIPs... depending on build, you can pick up a WFO for under a grand, which is crazy low I think.

http://www.speedgoat.com/News.aspx/NewsIndex

I wonder if there is something new (or different) this fall....

mtbr member
    Bike rumor said they are changing their headtube to fit the angleset. Maybe that is why the blow out.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by sikocycles
    Bike rumor said they are changing their headtube to fit the angleset. Maybe that is why the blow out.
    what? confused? please explain...

mtbr member
    It says the rumor is a redesign to use the cane creek angle set.

Flaccid Member
    Sep 2007
    Doing the math on a WFO, and a Hammerschmit, and what the whole bike would weigh, cause there wont be any XC weight weenie parts on a bike like this... and I'm thinking 35 to 37 pounds. The WFO really needs a 140mm fork at a minimum.

Am I tempted to give up my atomic Blue RIP? You bet. This would be a great mammoth mtn / Northstar bike in 29'er format.

mtbr member
    that cane creek angle is nice idea especially on a bike like the wfo, any other bike using that tech?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007

Angle Set should fit current WFO?

It looks to me that the Angle Set is designed to be used in place of any other headset. Why would it not work on the Current WFO?

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by JMH
    A bigger bike would be really fun, but let's be realistic. They would sell maybe 50 frames. Compare that to selling 500 JETs or RIPs, and you can understand why it's not a huge focus for Niner or anyone else at the moment. I have spoken with Hayes about sales numbers for the 29er Dorado and even though they didn't give an exact number it's not too many, and that's to EVERY 29er manufacturer, not just Niner. The market just isn't there yet.

I don't think the OP was saying he thought he would break the WFO, he said it was too expensive to have a WFO and a RIP, which makes a lot of sense.
    It seems to me that Niner could use a year of small changes in the lineup and big changes in the supply chain. As edgerat said, it's tough to get past the hurdles of rapid growth, and I think Niner is doing as well as can be expected while keeping their original soul intact.

My 2 cents...

JMH
    Thanks JMH for clearing it up. I would have been in mountain bike heaven if I'd have both the RIP and the WFO. As you have mentioned, I guess the market is not yet there...I just hope it picks up soon!

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzean
    It looks to me that the Angle Set is designed to be used in place of any other headset. Why would it not work on the Current WFO?
    I would be interested if they could fit; the only think I do not like about the WFO is the included headset. The headset works perfectly, and has done for a year, but even from week two it has been oozing rust. Everything I try does not help, still rust.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by cowpatchman6
    Thanks JMH for clearing it up. I would have been in mountain bike heaven if I'd have both the RIP and the WFO. As you have mentioned, I guess the market is not yet there...I just hope it picks up soon!
    I'm sure the Reba 140 will help heaps.

Carbon & Ti rule
    The bigest surprise they could come up with would be to have a full stock of all the frames they make & in all sizes & colours.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by RandyBoy
    Doing the math on a WFO, and a Hammerschmit, and what the whole bike would weigh, cause there wont be any XC weight weenie parts on a bike like this... and I'm thinking 35 to 37 pounds. The WFO really needs a 140mm fork at a minimum.
    FWIW, I've built mine up twice, first as more of a trail bike and more recently as more of a faux DH rig. Built weights were:

39lbs, 6oz WFO Superbuild

34lbs, 10oz (I think, can't exactly remember, but close) A(nother) New WFO Build

Both were with the kodiaks, so figure you can lose 2 + pounds with a more appropriate tire choice for a trail bike.

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by cruzean
    I haven't bothered to look into the details on Cane Creek's site to see if they offer an AngleSet that will fit in the WFO9: for one reason:

You can't change the angle of a tapered steerer in a tapered headtube. For a tapered headtube, as on the current WFO9, you need a straight 1 1/8 steerer fork to get any benefit from the AngleSet.
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Aug 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by evasive
    For a tapered headtube, as on the current WFO9, you need a straight 1 1/8 steerer fork to get any benefit from the AngleSet.
    Truth.

But this could be pretty interesting for the Dorado crowd

Underskilled
    Quote Originally Posted by good4nothing
    Truth.

But this could be pretty interesting for the Dorado crowd
    +1

I am Dorado crowd and interested.
    Why would I care about 150g of bike weight, I just ate 400g of cookies while reading this?