mtbr member
    Jan 2012

Anyone have or made a Jet 9 Carbon front derailleur cover?

Has anyone fitted a cover or made something to protect the front derailleur from mud and general crap...i find that if it gets too muddy the fron derailleur refuses to change gear.

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    Way better to get a wolf tooth chainring and clutched rear derailleur and ditch the front derailleur entirely.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    I could probably go 1 x 10 if my XTR could drop the big ring is there a blanking plate for the front der fixing

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrewfuzzy View Post
    Has anyone fitted a cover or made something to protect the front derailleur from mud and general crap...i find that if it gets too muddy the fron derailleur refuses to change gear.
    How about not riding in the mud?

IMBA's motto: Leave No Trace: Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.

If you are riding in conditions that clog up your front derailleur enough that it stops functioning, there's a good chance you are leaving a trace and riding on vulnerable trails that suffer damage...

mtbr member
    Jun 2009
    No but I pulled the mount on mine and stuck two button head bolts in t protect the frame fitting. I'll try and get a pic tonight.

COTA member
    Way better to get a wolf tooth chainring and clutched rear derailleur and ditch the front derailleur entirely.
    That's exactly what I did and have been very happy with that setup.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    How about not riding in the mud?

IMBA's motto: Leave No Trace: Be sensitive to the dirt beneath you. Wet and muddy trails are more vulnerable to damage than dry ones. When the trail is soft, consider other riding options. This also means staying on existing trails and not creating new ones. Don't cut switchbacks. Be sure to pack out at least as much as you pack in.

If you are riding in conditions that clog up your front derailleur enough that it stops functioning, there's a good chance you are leaving a trace and riding on vulnerable trails that suffer damage...
    Difficult to do...I live in the UK and mud is a common problem, it was actually a Winter race that I used it last and it got clogged up...so leaving a trace or not if I didn't ride in muddy conditions I might as well sell my bikes and sit and watch TV. I would go as far as to say that some of the bridleways I've ridden are churned up more by horses than by bikes. 1 x seems the way to go...but I try and save my Niner for the dryer weather anyway so maybe I'll give it one more chance.

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    Does anyone think this new type Front Der Shimano have (XTR non DI2) might solve the problem?