Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Scant abuse

Is anyone happy with their Bio-centric ebb?

I have seen plenty of negative stuff; but negative is always easy to find.
    I am thinking of getting a One Nine. I already have an Air Nine and a RIP so I am quite happy with Niner bikes. I also have a XXIX and love singlespeeding. So I'm only asking for feedback on the ebb

Thanks
    Richard

banned
    Have been riding a One 9 for 2 months now, logged over 400 miles on it. Not one time has it slipped or creaked. So far it has been my favorite SS set up.

mtbr member
    I have been using the Niner EBB for 2 years now, first on a SIR9 and now on a One9 and although it is not a perfect system, what is? On my SIR the EBB was flawless, on the One9 I had to mess with it a bit to get it right but it was really not a big deal. I am sure there is a small number of people who have legitimate issues but for the most part, the people who are posting here on MTBR about problems they can't resolve are probably the same people who bring their bike in to the shop to get a flat repaired. In the unlikely event you have issues, if you have any mechanical inclination at all, you will be fine. You hit the nail on the head, it is easy to find people bashing it but the majority of users are happy and too busy enjoying their bike to post up on the internet.

mtbr member
    Another happy owner.

It does have to be set up properly but once that is done it works fine. Had a few initial problems adjusting it with an external BB but once I realized it was NDS bearing pre-load causing binding the EBB itself has been fine.

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    I am not dissatisfied. It's finicky, that's true. Every few months mine will start to creak so I remove, clean, reinstall according to instructions and I am good to go. I use one million foot pounds of torque and that pretty much solves any problems. Except stretching out the M8 bolt. But bolts are cheap.

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    MIne continues to creak and I've tried all the fixes. I'm thinking of lubing the BB shell, in the hopes that that will quiet it. Drives me crazy, but live my SIR9.

Category Winner
    Quote Originally Posted by hoga98
    MIne continues to creak and I've tried all the fixes. I'm thinking of lubing the BB shell, in the hopes that that will quiet it. Drives me crazy, but live my SIR9.

I had some creaking a couple times. I loosened the EBB, drizzled some dry lube into the gap, and tightened it back up. No more creaking.
    WWW.TEAMDICKY.COM

I get paid 3 every time I post on MTBR.

mtbr member
    Maybe I am a lucky one. My SIR9 does not creak at all from day 1. Earlier this year I bought the frame on eBay (as used), and BikeBling assembled it. I don't think they did anything. Neither did I.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    its the easiest and least troublesome SS set up for me. i'm a fan

mtbr member
    Mar 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by teamdicky
    I had some creaking a couple times. I loosened the EBB, drizzled some dry lube into the gap, and tightened it back up. No more creaking.
    I'll have to give that a try. I'm going to attack it this week, this is prime riding time here in the NE.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Been riding my SIR for 3 months. No creaks. No problems. Keep it torqued to 190 in/lbs.

Bored Carp
    Mine has been pretty great for the last 2 years.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Scant abuse
    Thanks guys I appreciate the feedback!

Regards
    Richard

slower than you
    My SIR was a big hassle till I figured out the right combination of voodoo to get it working right. I bought a One9 a few weeks ago, prepped and wrapped the EBB like I did with the SIR and it's been rock solid. Not sure I'm crazy about the Biocentric but I love both frames enough that I'd buy another one again in a heartbeat.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Yes Once you work it out

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ratspike
    My SIR was a big hassle till I figured out the right combination of voodoo to get it working right. I bought a One9 a few weeks ago, prepped and wrapped the EBB like I did with the SIR and it's been rock solid. Not sure I'm crazy about the Biocentric but I love both frames enough that I'd buy another one again in a heartbeat.
    Did you wrap it with teflon tape? My sir 9 is two years old. The creaking drove me nuts, so i went with the carver. It worked for a while and then the creak came back. I wrapped my old 1fg with teflon and it worked great, but i was told not to with the niner ebb. I have tried every method under the moon and its still creaking....to the point i wanna huck the thing off a cliff if im riding without the ipod. I'm gonna order the new EBB and give it a shot, since my riding buddy put one on and cured his problem.

I love the ride, but the noise is unbearable.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by av8trinabarrel
    but i was told not to with the niner ebb.
    The Niner installation pdf tells you to wrap Teflon tape around the shell.

http://www.ninerbikes.com/fly.aspx?l...downloads=true

Manual is available for d/l under the P&A tab.

slower than you
    Quote Originally Posted by av8trinabarrel
    Did you wrap it with teflon tape?
    Yup. With my two frames teflon tape has been the only way to keep things from slipping or creaking. After cleaning and scuffing the EBB I do two wraps of tape. On my SIR it's a tight fit so I do my best to push it straight in. It helps to mark on the frame where the EBB needs to be positioned so you're not doing a ton of adjusting afterward and possibly messing up the tape. I torque to 18 ft/lbs or so. Occasionally I'll get a bit of creaking but it's not loud and never lasts long, and zero slipping.

Because of the tight fit it's a real pain to adjust without loosening the cranks so I don't change gears on the SIR.
    Dog is my copilot

mtbr member
    I can be quiet, but it takes some work:

New Niner EBB, NOISE unfixable

mtbr member
    Oct 2011
    First couple rides after building up the SIR were nice and quiet. Then came the first ride w/ mud/sand/rain (mountainbike conditions) and the creaking has begun. There have been no issues with slipping but the creaking is there even after througoughly cleaning disassembling and reassembling per factory recommendations.

mtbr member
    Jul 2009
    I like mine, no problems here, and I change cogs often.

mtbr member
    I'm at 1 year with mine, and I'd say 6-8 adjustments due to cog changes or tension adjustments soon after those cog changes. I've yet to have a problem, slipping or noise. I am completely satisfied with it.

mtbr member
    Jul 2011
    I'm about three months in on mine and while sweet when new, it's a noisy mother now! Typically need to teardown once a week in order to shut it up. Becoming more frequent. That said, I dig the clean concept, just wish I could figure out what the problem is with mine...

Fat & Single
    Mine creaked for 3 months and i ripped it apart about 20 times and was ready to sell it, then Eric at niner sent me an email telling me about carbo-grip, my ISIS BB has been silent ever since. I move it regular to change cogs and its still quiet, i am 100% happy with the BB now.
    Ti O'Beast
    Indy Fab
    One9
    Dirty Disco CX

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by ozzybmx View Post
    Mine creaked for 3 months and i ripped it apart about 20 times and was ready to sell it, then Eric at niner sent me an email telling me about carbo-grip, my ISIS BB has been silent ever since. I move it regular to change cogs and its still quiet, i am 100% happy with the BB now.
    I've been curious about the carbo-grip. Where'd you pick it up at? I take my ebb out and "re-Teflon" it every other month or so. I change cogs pretty frequently. Though it seems like a pain in the ass, I still love my SIR. Hell, it only takes maybe ten minutes to do. Can't say I've had any problems with the biocentric slipping. I prefer the ebb over horizontals all day long.
    Livin' the dream.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast