Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

Anybody set "Niner XC Alloy" wheels up tubeless?

11K views 13 replies 8 participants last post by  MTBeing 
#1 ·
Finally got out for the first ride on my brand-new Jet 9 - liking the bike, but really missing my tubeless setup. Has anybody done a ghetto setup with the niner house brand rims?

#14 ·
Had a 2013 Spec Camber Comp Carbon and these wheels, especially the hub, look very similar to that wheelset which was an oem Roval. Weight is even spot-on. Good tubeless wheel, durable, but a little portly. Average engagement at best with a 3 pawl hub.

#2 ·
followup:
Took a look at the rim profile and measurements, and started looking at the molded plastic rim strips that Bontrager uses. The conclusion: the Rhythm 29 rim strips seem to work pretty well so far with the Niner OE wheels!

I definitely needed a compressor to get the (OE Schwalbe Performance Racing Ralph) tire to seat, but it popped on there nice and solid without soapy water or anything, and seems, w/ 2oz of stan's to have sealed up better than the actual tubeless-ready tires (Conti Pro-tection) I mounted on my old WTB Frequency rims for my wife... No issues at all at 30 psi, will be going lower next ride (and getting the rear set up - hedged my bets and only picked up one strip).

#13 ·
Quick chime in on this. I have a set of the niner xc wheels that came with an RLT Steel Rival. I have been running Crossmax tubeless on it, but those wheels are headed to my sons bike. I was thinking about going back to the niner wheels and setting them up tubeless, but I was worried about a difference between the cross/gravel wheels, then on the MTB wheels. Anyone tried to build up the RLT niner wheels tubeless? I am running 40 mm WTB tires on it now btw.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.