Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008

Anybody Push their Jet 9 RDO rear shock?

I would like my Jet 9 RDO to pedal better on smooth climbs during races. I have thought about sending my shock to Push to add some dampening in the + setting on the shock.

Thx,

mtbr member
    Oct 2008

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    That looks awesome! Hmm. I start a lot of races on the road and when I get up out of the saddle the bike bobs like mad.

mtbr member
    Oct 2008
    I had a friend ride my RDO the other night. He commented on how little it bobbed compared to his Trek.

trail "cleaner"
    flip the pro-pedal switch on. The only 'bob' with it on will then come from your fork... But, I'm with AZpoolguy....my RDO jumps forward when the hammer goes down, not up and down..
    No dabs allowed!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    I do the the propedal on. The Jet 9 RDO is a great bike but not the best pedaling design I have ridden to date. Nonetheless, very plush and fun.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    I do the the propedal on. The Jet 9 RDO is a great bike but not the best pedaling design I have ridden to date. Nonetheless, very plush and fun.
    Jet9 rdo has the best pedaling platform I have ever ridden. I usually leave it in position one on propedal. 2 and 3 seems overly firm. Maybe pivot's dw link is on par or slightly better. What year shock do you have? Ctd?

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Perhaps your shock is not functioning properly. CVA is the best I have ever ridden, DW doesn't hold a candle to CVA.
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

trail "cleaner"
    Quote Originally Posted by ejreyes6 View Post
    Jet9 rdo has the best pedaling platform I have ever ridden. I usually leave it in position one on propedal. 2 and 3 seems overly firm. Maybe pivot's dw link is on par or slightly better. What year shock do you have? Ctd?
    I've ridden/owned Pivots 429 and Firebird. I HATED the 429 as yes it pedals well but only because the shock's valving has soo much compression damping. It rode like crap. Heck even my AL JET with 80mm of travel rides better.
    No dabs allowed!

Carbon & Ti rule
    Yes something wrong with that's bike setup for sure.

The shock can't be working right.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009

Anybody Push their Jet 9 RDO rear shock?

How much pressure are you running on your shock?

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by PeopleForScience View Post
    Perhaps your shock is not functioning properly. CVA is the best I have ever ridden, DW doesn't hold a candle to CVA.
    Hmm. I own a DW Link and the CVA is basically the same design: both are dual link bikes. Apple and apple design.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by AZmtncycler View Post
    I've ridden/owned Pivots 429 and Firebird. I HATED the 429 as yes it pedals well but only because the shock's valving has soo much compression damping. It rode like crap. Heck even my AL JET with 80mm of travel rides better.
    I think the Jet 9 alloy pedals better but is way harsher.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaybo View Post
    Hmm. I own a DW Link and the CVA is basically the same design: both are dual link bikes. Apple and apple design.
    DW is good but if far from the same design.

The Jet9 RDO's pedals better than my 09 Jet9 Alloy & much better than my wife's 2011 Jet9 Alloy.

My 2012 Jet9 RDO's shock has a bit little more plush/trail, feel than my 2013 Jet9 RDO.

But both pedal better than any other bike's I have ridden & that includes all other niners.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    It is nearly the same design. I disagree that the RDO pedals better than the Jet 9; however, each to their own. I'm not mindlessly criticizing this wonderful bike. It is a better bike than I deserve and a great race bike. I bet electronic suspension is going to end any bit of bob a bike might have out of the saddle.

Bike Magazine stated it is a wonderful bike but not the firmest pedaling bike out there. Of course, it is give and take when it comes to bikes. It is tough to have it all without some compromise.

I do wish the top tube was longer on the medium. Otherwise, nearly perfect.
    Last edited by Jaybo; 04-29-2013 at 07:35 AM.

mtbr member

Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Yes something wrong with that's bike setup for sure.

The shock can't be working right.
    I felt that this was the problem with mine. No matter how I set air pressure and rebound, the shock just felt "sluggish". I also had no difference with Pro-pedal on or off - the shock moved the same. I sent it back to Fox and explained the problem. They called me to discuss. It came back totally different. The shock works much better when open and now the Pro-pedal is much firmer when I switch it on.

mtbr member
    It sounds like you are looking for a near 100% lockout for the shock. That should be doable, but not really ideal.

You might want to consider changing your riding style to match what a FS bike requires. This will have the side effect of improving your efficiency and making you a much faster rider overall.

It seems that there are really only two ways that pedal bob can be minimized on a FS bike (without electronics sensing rider position and terrain). Shock platform via a blow off gate and mechanical leverage via chain tension (the chain tension resisting the wheelbase increasing at the beginning of the stroke).

A stiff platform is going to make the bike very harsh and kill small bump compliance. Since you described yourself as standing up and hammering on the pedals, the uneven tension on the chain is going to work against you and create pedal bob. The key on a FS bike is smooth even power (which is more efficient overall).

I still stand and hammer at the crest of a steep climb or in other very short bursts to gain momentum where traction is unlimited, but Iím generally on or near the seat all of the time trying to apply smooth even power.

If you are really serious about racing at an elite level, you may want to consider training with powercranks to get your muscle coordination pattern corrected. Iíve heard a few hard core guys claim it is the magic bullet if you want to take it to the next level. Most of us (like me) are just trying to stay in shape and have fun, so I just do what seems to make the most sense.

mtbr member
    Seated riding is key . Hard tail riders who want to stand all the time should get an epic IMO - the epic sure feels fast, but it is definitely not plush or comfortable. Thinking about it, if you want that HT feel, then get a HT for short course racing, and a FS for enduro/longer events.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Good points, guys. Thanks. I may either call Fox or get it Pushed. The + setting is not very firm. This is an awesome bike!!! Maybe the best 29er FS bike out there. No hard feelings Let's have a beer and talk about the glorious beauty of the Niner brand.

mtbr member
    May 2008
    Not beating a dead horse but I think something has got to be off on your shock. How much air and sag. I am 225 and I feel like I bob everything and my Jet9Rdo hardly moves when I stand. My uphill times beat my 21lb Ti hardtail

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    When I watch the j9 rdo suspension on my wife's bike it does seem to cycle much more than my dw-link flux on flat terrain and she has a much smoother cadence than I have. Even though the bobbing is visually obvious, she does not feel it or detect any loss of power on the flats or otherwise. My demo experience was the same, it felt efficient when pedaling.

Post up if you decide to have your shock modified or find a defect that has affected the platform.

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    [QUOTE=tws_andrew;10363885]Not beating a dead horse but I think something has got to be off on your shock. How much air and sag. I am 225 and I feel like I bob everything and my Jet9Rdo hardly moves when I stand. My uphill times beat my 21lb Ti hardtail[/Q

Yaw, my shock my need some work. That is why I posted this post.

SVO
    mtbr member
    May 2005
    Any news here? Fear I have same issue- no difference in propedal settings.