Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Any ROS 9's out there yet?

Would be good to see some build pics (especially SS!)
    Thinking this may be my next frame.

meh?

I'm wondering the same thing. Obviously the first one goes to the guy/girl who named it, but I haven't seen any builds otherwise. I'm trying to decide between the Nimble 9, ROS9, or possibly the 2011 RIP9 frames on jenson. I'm coming from a SC chameleon.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ordered mine maybe 2 months ago at my LBS. Niner thinks the first shipment should be hitting the pre order people the last 2 weeks of August (which is now so I'm hoping) I'll be doing the RS Rev 140mm 2013 with SS. Maybe XX1 on the crank or Saint cranks with a wolftooth chainring and a Niner cog. Not sure on Saddle or seatpost yet. Really want to test an Ergon saddle but can't find a place to try before I buy. Most likely going with KS Supernatural 150mm but jury is still out.

Once I have mine I'll post pics for ya all.

for me it was between this Nimble9 and Honzo. Honzo is out until at best Oct. and that is only if you preorder. Nimble9 is a wicked frame but only design flaw as lack of thru-axle on rear at 280Lbs and 6' 3" naked. I don't ride off road on anything execpt thru-axles in fact that is why I'm using last years Rev shock cause its the old 20mm instead of the newer 15mm. With my weight I put some punishment on my axles when I land. If the Nimble had the thru on the rear I was going to buy it. I even called the Can. Bros. and talked to them about it. they said a few of their people had converted to 9mm thru bolts but that just isn't enough for us clyde's who like to have some fun with their bikes

meh?

Can't wait to see it. More and more I'm leaning towards the ROS9. I think it has the geometry I'm looking for. The difference between the transition transAM 29 and the ros9 isn't much, but I think it's worth waiting for the Niner to come out. I want to see the RS Rev 140 too.

Did you pre-order the rally blue or the forge grey? Either way I think it looks good.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hot blue all the way.

I looked at the trans too. But I figured I'd have a better chance of a good quality machine from Niner instead. Trans doesn't work with LBS in the Bay Area and I like having someone local to support and go to if I need help.

meh?

See, now you've got me doubting Transition's build quality. It just takes one, right?

Really what I want is a Chromag Surface, but who's got the money? This blog entry by Seb Kemp and the pictures of his gorgeous bike are a big part of the reason I keep coming back to a steel hardtail 29er. Ill have to do without the carbon rims and Fox 34 though.
    http://www.bikemag.com/blog/friday-f...il/?mobile=off
    I want to try to get something close to the Surface's geometry. The Transition is actually closest and almost half the price of a Chromag.

I have red bars and I'm getting a white fork. If I got the blue ROS9 it would just be a captain America themed bike! Grey for me if i go that route. If I get the transition ill go for the neutral white. This needs to last a long time.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ya that is a very sweet looking bike but for me the plan is to try to keep this thing SS and just hammer up the hills for weight loss and then bomb down the back side fast and crazy with that sick geo. The Chromag doesn't do SS. how much more is the Surface frame cost?

meh?

I don't have specifics, but around $1500... I mean, its kind of a boutique item, so you're paying for high quality. Is it better than the quality of a made-in-the-US Niner? Yes, but i don't think 1.5x as much. Its gorgeous though and you can get it custom painted/ graphics. Ever seen the black/rainbow metallic one? If I had the money I would just mount it on the wall.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

meh?

And obviously it doesn't do SS
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ordered mine about 2 months ago. Update as of this week is they will be shipping 2 weeks into September...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ya its all about SS for me. checked with my LBS last night and he go the same line from Niner. 'Before Interbike' which is in 2 weeks so we shall see... until then I will just stare at all my components just sitting here waiting to be ridden on a shiny new blue frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yup, I have every part sitting on the bench, already have the fork, brake, bar, stem and brake all hooked up and adjusted... Frame was supposed to ship late August, guess it got held up.

I choose first available for color so will see what shows up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ya original dates I got were early August too then late August now mid September. Shoot the Honzo's will be available by first week of Oct could have almost waited for that. I have everything except cranks. Been going back and forth. Since the frame wasn't here it's let me get wishy washy on cranks. xX1 is awesome but do I really need to spend the money for a SS.

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Really what I want is a Chromag Surface, but who's got the money?
    Have you looked at the Chromag Rootdown? It is a Taiwanese production Surface frame and because of that the price gets cut nearly in half, $800 in stead of $1500. Look up the "I kick it Rootdown" build thread in the 29er bikes subforum for more info and pics.

meh?
    Honestly, I haven't really seen them for sale. I really like Chromag. Also, that thread would be great with the pics, but I guess that's one that the server problems are affecting.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Mar 2011
    Bummer about not being able to see pics. I just built a Honzo with a 140mm fork tonight and even without a chain and shifting (no housing to finish the build) just playing around on it at pushing speed feels awesome. It bunny hops really good even at that low speed. I will get it all sorted out when one of my LBS' opens in the morning. Good thing I had a few otherwise I might not get any sleep.

meh?
    Thought I'd put these up here. They're from various sources, SS and geared.

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    I don't have specifics, but around $1500... I mean, its kind of a boutique item, so you're paying for high quality. Is it better than the quality of a made-in-the-US Niner? Yes, but i don't think 1.5x as much. Its gorgeous though and you can get it custom painted/ graphics. Ever seen the black/rainbow metallic one? If I had the money I would just mount it on the wall.
    Niner isn't made in the US.
    Livin' the dream.

meh?
    oh, my mistake. I though the Cali/Colorado graphic on the bikes was that they were engineered in California and made in Colorado. Upon further (or any) investigation, it's just that they're designed in the US and made in Taiwan.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

Stayin' Puft
    Would a 140 Pike on a ROS 9 be too much fork? Those with piles of parts waiting on frame, what fork is in the pile, curious?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Rock Shox Revelation 140 RLT3 with Flow EX on Hope 2 EVO's

meh?
    Manitou Tower Pro 140. Also Stan's Flow
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    RS 140 Pike would be perfect. It what I wanted but I couldn't swing the cost. Got last years Rev from CRC for $450 and couldn't pass that up. I run the old Pike 426 on my All Mountain full squishy and love it to death. I have 2 guys at my LBS already riding the new Pike and its the best fork they have ever used they say. If you can swing the high cost on the Pike go for it! Or better yet buy two and send me one

Stayin' Puft
    The Pike cost is just above my pain threshold for one of them, sorry. But no pain, no gain. Everyone who comments on them sure seems to love the Pike. But I'm sure your build with a Rev will be sweet, seems to be what Niner is showing mostly.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat View Post
    Would a 140 Pike on a ROS 9 be too much fork? Those with piles of parts waiting on frame, what fork is in the pile, curious?
    It was designed for a 140.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast