Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Any ROS 9's out there yet?

Would be good to see some build pics (especially SS!)
    Thinking this may be my next frame.

meh?

I'm wondering the same thing. Obviously the first one goes to the guy/girl who named it, but I haven't seen any builds otherwise. I'm trying to decide between the Nimble 9, ROS9, or possibly the 2011 RIP9 frames on jenson. I'm coming from a SC chameleon.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon
    2001 Specalized Rockhopper FSR

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ordered mine maybe 2 months ago at my LBS. Niner thinks the first shipment should be hitting the pre order people the last 2 weeks of August (which is now so I'm hoping) I'll be doing the RS Rev 140mm 2013 with SS. Maybe XX1 on the crank or Saint cranks with a wolftooth chainring and a Niner cog. Not sure on Saddle or seatpost yet. Really want to test an Ergon saddle but can't find a place to try before I buy. Most likely going with KS Supernatural 150mm but jury is still out.

Once I have mine I'll post pics for ya all.

for me it was between this Nimble9 and Honzo. Honzo is out until at best Oct. and that is only if you preorder. Nimble9 is a wicked frame but only design flaw as lack of thru-axle on rear at 280Lbs and 6' 3" naked. I don't ride off road on anything execpt thru-axles in fact that is why I'm using last years Rev shock cause its the old 20mm instead of the newer 15mm. With my weight I put some punishment on my axles when I land. If the Nimble had the thru on the rear I was going to buy it. I even called the Can. Bros. and talked to them about it. they said a few of their people had converted to 9mm thru bolts but that just isn't enough for us clyde's who like to have some fun with their bikes

meh?

Can't wait to see it. More and more I'm leaning towards the ROS9. I think it has the geometry I'm looking for. The difference between the transition transAM 29 and the ros9 isn't much, but I think it's worth waiting for the Niner to come out. I want to see the RS Rev 140 too.

Did you pre-order the rally blue or the forge grey? Either way I think it looks good.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Hot blue all the way.

I looked at the trans too. But I figured I'd have a better chance of a good quality machine from Niner instead. Trans doesn't work with LBS in the Bay Area and I like having someone local to support and go to if I need help.

meh?

See, now you've got me doubting Transition's build quality. It just takes one, right?

Really what I want is a Chromag Surface, but who's got the money? This blog entry by Seb Kemp and the pictures of his gorgeous bike are a big part of the reason I keep coming back to a steel hardtail 29er. Ill have to do without the carbon rims and Fox 34 though.
    http://www.bikemag.com/blog/friday-f...il/?mobile=off
    I want to try to get something close to the Surface's geometry. The Transition is actually closest and almost half the price of a Chromag.

I have red bars and I'm getting a white fork. If I got the blue ROS9 it would just be a captain America themed bike! Grey for me if i go that route. If I get the transition ill go for the neutral white. This needs to last a long time.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ya that is a very sweet looking bike but for me the plan is to try to keep this thing SS and just hammer up the hills for weight loss and then bomb down the back side fast and crazy with that sick geo. The Chromag doesn't do SS. how much more is the Surface frame cost?

meh?

I don't have specifics, but around $1500... I mean, its kind of a boutique item, so you're paying for high quality. Is it better than the quality of a made-in-the-US Niner? Yes, but i don't think 1.5x as much. Its gorgeous though and you can get it custom painted/ graphics. Ever seen the black/rainbow metallic one? If I had the money I would just mount it on the wall.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

meh?

And obviously it doesn't do SS
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Ordered mine about 2 months ago. Update as of this week is they will be shipping 2 weeks into September...

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ya its all about SS for me. checked with my LBS last night and he go the same line from Niner. 'Before Interbike' which is in 2 weeks so we shall see... until then I will just stare at all my components just sitting here waiting to be ridden on a shiny new blue frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Yup, I have every part sitting on the bench, already have the fork, brake, bar, stem and brake all hooked up and adjusted... Frame was supposed to ship late August, guess it got held up.

I choose first available for color so will see what shows up?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Ya original dates I got were early August too then late August now mid September. Shoot the Honzo's will be available by first week of Oct could have almost waited for that. I have everything except cranks. Been going back and forth. Since the frame wasn't here it's let me get wishy washy on cranks. xX1 is awesome but do I really need to spend the money for a SS.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    Really what I want is a Chromag Surface, but who's got the money?
    Have you looked at the Chromag Rootdown? It is a Taiwanese production Surface frame and because of that the price gets cut nearly in half, $800 in stead of $1500. Look up the "I kick it Rootdown" build thread in the 29er bikes subforum for more info and pics.

meh?
    Honestly, I haven't really seen them for sale. I really like Chromag. Also, that thread would be great with the pics, but I guess that's one that the server problems are affecting.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Bummer about not being able to see pics. I just built a Honzo with a 140mm fork tonight and even without a chain and shifting (no housing to finish the build) just playing around on it at pushing speed feels awesome. It bunny hops really good even at that low speed. I will get it all sorted out when one of my LBS' opens in the morning. Good thing I had a few otherwise I might not get any sleep.

meh?
    Thought I'd put these up here. They're from various sources, SS and geared.

2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Map204 View Post
    I don't have specifics, but around $1500... I mean, its kind of a boutique item, so you're paying for high quality. Is it better than the quality of a made-in-the-US Niner? Yes, but i don't think 1.5x as much. Its gorgeous though and you can get it custom painted/ graphics. Ever seen the black/rainbow metallic one? If I had the money I would just mount it on the wall.
    Niner isn't made in the US.
    Livin' the dream.

meh?
    oh, my mistake. I though the Cali/Colorado graphic on the bikes was that they were engineered in California and made in Colorado. Upon further (or any) investigation, it's just that they're designed in the US and made in Taiwan.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

Stayin' Puft
    Would a 140 Pike on a ROS 9 be too much fork? Those with piles of parts waiting on frame, what fork is in the pile, curious?

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    Rock Shox Revelation 140 RLT3 with Flow EX on Hope 2 EVO's

meh?
    Manitou Tower Pro 140. Also Stan's Flow
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    RS 140 Pike would be perfect. It what I wanted but I couldn't swing the cost. Got last years Rev from CRC for $450 and couldn't pass that up. I run the old Pike 426 on my All Mountain full squishy and love it to death. I have 2 guys at my LBS already riding the new Pike and its the best fork they have ever used they say. If you can swing the high cost on the Pike go for it! Or better yet buy two and send me one

Stayin' Puft
    The Pike cost is just above my pain threshold for one of them, sorry. But no pain, no gain. Everyone who comments on them sure seems to love the Pike. But I'm sure your build with a Rev will be sweet, seems to be what Niner is showing mostly.

mtbr member

Quote Originally Posted by canyonrat View Post
    Would a 140 Pike on a ROS 9 be too much fork? Those with piles of parts waiting on frame, what fork is in the pile, curious?
    It was designed for a 140.

Stayin' Puft
    Quote Originally Posted by five5 View Post
    It was designed for a 140.
    Yeah, I know what's on the web site, 120-140. Was more a question of 35mm stanchion and design purpose of Pike being a bit much for a hardtail, potentially. Note that Niner is showing it with 120/Fox and 130/Rev builds in their complete bikes. Interesting that folks here seem to be leaning more 140.

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    all the bikes they are 'copying' run best with 140. I looked hard at the Nimble9 and talked to the C Bros. directly about it.They said most of their employees have an N9 and they were all migrating towards the 140 forks as it just rocks and is fun. Most of the Honzo people you run across say the same thing. It is aimed to be an All-Mountain Hardtail freeride-ish short chainstay go attack it and have fun frame. So I went with 140 to start with. 120 would be fine too. But I like to hit whatever comes on the trail and not worry about my fork. Plus the 140 would make it about 67 degrees on the headtube angle which is where my full squishy is at and I love that bike.

meh?
    Did Canfield really say they run the N9 with a 140? It's one of the reasons I'm not considering the N9, as it says its rated up to 120 on their site. Also, I want a 142X12 rear, but that's slightly less of an issue.
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    yes they did. the 142x12 thru axle missing was the deal breaker for me. I was actually calling to order that day but they had no plans to add the thru so I went back to niner's ROS9. I'm not small so I always want the strength in the rear axle. He said many of their team converted to 9mm thru bolts but that just isn't enough for me and my clydesdale body

mtbr member
    May 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by joshpjones99 View Post
    I'm not small so I always want the strength in the rear axle. He said many of their team converted to 9mm thru bolts but that just isn't enough for me and my clydesdale body
    Ditto. I'm not a big dude like you, but not having a 142x12 on this type of bike is a huge oversight on the Nimble 9. Heck, just about every one of their other bikes has a rear maxle!!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ya thats what I told them. it just seems like a no brainer. I bet in 2014 or 15 they add it but I wanna ride now!

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Revelation RCT3 140 a waiting to be installed. I already have the stem, bars, wheel and brakes attached to it! It's hard waiting on just one integral part of the build for soooo long.

meh?

Quote Originally Posted by rideorange525 View Post
    Revelation RCT3 140 a waiting to be installed. I already have the stem, bars, wheel and brakes attached to it! It's hard waiting on just one integral part of the build for soooo long.
    What color did you end up getting?
    2013 Chromag Rootdown
    2010 SC Chameleon

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    I dunno...

I ordered the Silver, then called back and said I didn't care and I'll take first available. It's going to be a surprise!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ok I have good news and bad news.

Good news they haven't quite sold out of the first trailer of Ros9's.

Bad news we arent getting them until early Oct

So that means if you are watching this thread just go to your LBS and get your order in so you can get on that first boat with us! we can all enjoy riding our Ros 9's for the fall season!

and My last component (front wheel) just got here today from Merlin Cycles. wow their prices are amazing and they shipped it in 3 days

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by joshpjones99 View Post
    ok I have good news and bad news.

Good news they haven't quite sold out of the first trailer of Ros9's.

Bad news we arent getting them until early Oct

So that means if you are watching this thread just go to your LBS and get your order in so you can get on that first boat with us! we can all enjoy riding our Ros 9's for the fall season!

and My last component (front wheel) just got here today from Merlin Cycles. wow their prices are amazing and they shipped it in 3 days
    I was told last night only 14 landed and only in silver. My guy ordered mine this morning and said it should be here mid-end next week!

mtbr member
    Jan 2010
    ya but i can't do the silver. not with that beautiful electric Blue on the way. I like me some bright colors. My all mountain is the Marin Wolf Ridge 6.8 in hot green. it burns your eyes on a bright day

but I guess you will have the first Ros 9 pics for us tho. then we can all drool over your new toy.

mtbr member
    Dec 2010
    I bit the bullet and ordered one. Like I need another bike. I'm selling a couple of bikes to justify it (including my almost new Krampus which is a nice bike but not my cup of tea).

Wouldn't call it an impulse buy per se because I thought about it and researched it but i've never ridden one. I like the lines and the concept. I'm really getting away from full suspension; not really necessary where I live and it slows me down. Three of the four bikes I ride regularly are fully rigid (including a Niner One 9 and an Air 9) and I am looking for a rugged bike to abuse that can tackle a little more rough terrain.

I ordered the Blue frame with the X11 drivetrain.

mtbr member
    Nov 2004
    Well, I'm trying to order one. Had the LBS order the 4 star XO1 build last week. Spoke to the LBS today and they can't get anyone from Niner to answer the phone and get this thing ordered! NINER...ANSWER THE PHONE PLEASE! Bout ready to buy a Kona Honzo off the floor from my other LBS as I would like a chance to ride before this thing before winter.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    What steered me away from Honzo was the higher stand over...

mtbr member
    May 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by 71 10-7 View Post
    Well, I'm trying to order one. Had the LBS order the 4 star XO1 build last week. Spoke to the LBS today and they can't get anyone from Niner to answer the phone and get this thing ordered! NINER...ANSWER THE PHONE PLEASE! Bout ready to buy a Kona Honzo off the floor from my other LBS as I would like a chance to ride before this thing before winter.
    I called in the other day, you might give then a break as it sounds like most of Colorado is currently under water...
    Quote Originally Posted by meltingfeather View Post
    If I told you I saw a unicorn ****ing a leprechaun trail side, you'd probably be suspicious.

my bike gained weight
    I got a call from the shop where I DIDN'T order the frame this morning letting me know that they'd have it in a week. So I emailed the shop where I did order the frame and I'm told that because of Interbike Niner is impossible to get info from right now.

*sigh*

For what it's worth: silver/raw Ros9, custom MRP bash guard along with it. I have a RS Revelation 130 waiting for it, and a 32 ring to pair with a 12-36 10-sp cassette. Flow EX hoops with Hope hubs (gun smoke grey) will be arriving soon from Red barn in MT.
    I'm replacing an Emd9 with this frame, with the leftover parts going on an older One9 frame. Stripped the Emd9 last night and building the One9 today, so for the love of god I hope the Ros shows up soon or it's going to be a painful fall with just a SS to ride.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Got a text saying my frame shipped yesterday so hopefully I'll have it Wed/Thur!

I've been waiting 3 months for this frame and it seems like the closer it gets the harder the wait is! I've been playing with all the parts just sitting on the bench and missing my SS riding since I sold the frame and fork from the old bike to build this one...

my bike gained weight
    Just heard from the shop where i ordered my ROS9. It's on the way and will be in my hands on Monday.
    Yahoo.

mtbr member
    Apr 2013

Oh Yeah!!!

Any ROS 9's out there yet?-ros9a.jpgAny ROS 9's out there yet?-ros9b.jpgAny ROS 9's out there yet?-ros9c.jpg

Just rode it up and down the street but love this bike! Only complaint as of yet is the rear brake is a biotch to get to the back bolt. Just a mm farther back and it would make a word of difference!

Running 140mm Revelation Dual Air, Hopes on Flow EXs, XT Cranks, Race Face Atlas stem/bars and XT Brakes. All parts except frame and fork came off my Carve SL I sold...

Tomorrow morning will be the break in run!

Sizing: I am exactly in between a Large and a Medium and I usually error on the Larger size but all my 29ers have been big in the tight stuff so I'm trying the Medium to hopefully quicken up the tight technical stuff and if the veering around bots dots going up and down the street is any indication, I made the right decision!

greedy
    Very Nice.
    Addicted to the Classifieds

my bike gained weight
    Nice work with the color coordination. That silver and red is great. Nice to finally this thing in "real life." Can't wait to get mine up next week.

my bike gained weight
    Hey quick question rideorange525:
    What's the deal with the headset on this frame? The Niner site says it's included, but I wanted to make sure I was understanding this correctly. Is this the case? It came with a headset? (What else comes in the box, as far as derailleur hangers, those direct-mount tabs, and so on?)
    thanks

mtbr member
    Apr 2013
    Derailleur hanger or SS not, axel, headset, lots and lots of tabs and screws for covering holes or routing cables every which way.

HS domes with star nut and a niner beer bottle cap top cap as well.

my bike gained weight
    Oh nice, the beer bottle thingy. Nice touch.
    Thanks for the reply. Bike looks great.

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast