Bicycle Addict

No good Another Cracked Air 9 Carbon:

I know I've seen a few more posts about the Air 9 Carbon cracking in the exact same spot. Its small now, but I don't want to risk it. I really like this bike, but if they are problematic I might consider trading down to a SIR 9. We'll see what Niner says when I call them. Oh, and I have a race in 6 days

Another Cracked Air 9 Carbon:-20131201_134558_zps45925450.jpg

Another Cracked Air 9 Carbon:-20131201_134523_zps8e3edc4c.jpg

Another Cracked Air 9 Carbon:-20131201_134508_zps5de886b8.jpg
    The unexamined life is not worth living - Socrates
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    My Air RDO cracked in the same spot. At first I thought it was just paint cracking in an area that maybe had some excess flex under my big butt, so I just kept riding it. It got worse and worse, and eventually the cracking was like a small web, not just on the front there, but also behind that post mast. The ride never seemed effected, until my last XC race in August where I did hear a crack sound on a harsh, unexpected bottom-out while I was in the saddle. Niner was, of course, excellent in replacing it. Still haven't built it back up to see if I have any further troubles. I bet I raced for 2 months on it from the first notice of cracking like yours. I can't officially recommend you risk it, but I'm betting you'd be fine in that race. Just sayin.

Bicycle Addict
    Yeah, I may have to. There's no way I can get a new frame by Saturday.
    Now that you mention it, I do recall hearing a loud popping sound coming from right under me. I didn't think anything of it because that area always had a creak to it.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Is that the clear coat flexing/cracking or is it the carbon that is actually cracking?

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
    Is that the clear coat flexing/cracking or is it the carbon that is actually cracking?
    That I don't know.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Do you know if that is something that they would even warranty if it were just the clear coat/paint that is flexing or cracking? Have they done that for others?

mtbr member
    Manufacturers typically have a one year warranty on the finish.
    Cervelo S2
    Specialized Carve Pro
    Pivot Mach 5

mtbr member
    Apr 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by 41ants View Post
    I wondered that too, even leaning towards the idea that it was just paint. As it got worse, bad enough that regardless I needed it checked out, and really thought it should be warrantied, I was instructed to take pics and send to Niner. I did so expecting some time before I got word on it. In about 15 minutes from sending I had a reply..."yep, cracked"...then the rest of the process kicked in. I'm betting crack.

Bicycle Addict
    I called Niner and they were pretty helpful as usual. I just have to take it to my LBS to get the process going. It will have to wait until next week though because I still need to race on Saturday. I wonder if I can trade to that new highlighter yellow SIR 9.
    Bearded Women Racing

Help I've Fallen
    Quote Originally Posted by J3SSEB View Post
    I called Niner and they were pretty helpful as usual. I just have to take it to my LBS to get the process going. It will have to wait until next week though because I still need to race on Saturday. I wonder if I can trade to that new highlighter yellow SIR 9.
    What did Niner do? I have a new frame and between the headtube and seat tube I'm able to make the top of the top tube flex with my fingers. Is this common, none of the other carbon bikes I have have this issue.
    Life's tough......It's even tougher if you're stupid." -John Wayne

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by dwick37 View Post
    What did Niner do? I have a new frame and between the headtube and seat tube I'm able to make the top of the top tube flex with my fingers. Is this common, none of the other carbon bikes I have have this issue.
    They sent me a new frame. It probably shouldn't be flexing that much. That's not normal.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    J3SSEB - Did you end up with another Air 9C or Sir 9? I'm trying to debate between the two for an endurance race frame. Wondering if you got the Sir9, posting up your thoughts between the two frames.

Thanks.

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by phsycle View Post
    J3SSEB - Did you end up with another Air 9C or Sir 9? I'm trying to debate between the two for an endurance race frame. Wondering if you got the Sir9, posting up your thoughts between the two frames.

Thanks.
    I went with another Air 9, and that one cracked as well. This time around I asked for the SIR, which is on its way. The frame should arrive sometime this week. I'll let you know how it compares. I'll most likely be doing a 4hr race on it this weekend.
    Bearded Women Racing

mtbr member
    Apr 2011
    Wow, that sucks. What do you weigh? Surprised that you cracked the new one so fast...

evilbanks
    I just bought a 2013 Carbon Air 9 frame. J3SSEB---are you saying you cracked two frames back to back?
    twitter.com/evilbanks

Bicycle Addict
    Quote Originally Posted by b_banks View Post
    I just bought a 2013 Carbon Air 9 frame. J3SSEB---are you saying you cracked two frames back to back?
    I weigh 220 pounds geared up. Not that they put a weight limit on their frames.
    Yes b_banks, 2 of the 2013 Air 9 carbon frames back to back in a span of 4 months.
    Bearded Women Racing

Bicycle Addict
    Here's the link to the other thread. Pics of the crack included.
    Air 9 Carbon Warranty Replacement: Round 2
    Bearded Women Racing