Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Feb 2004

Another 5'11" Niner size question

I'm very keen to put the cash down on an MCR9, local shop has a medium frame at a good price. But just having last minute doubts about sizing. At 5'11", 180cm, I could ride either a medium or a large. I've demo'ed a large, top tube length of 24.5 was OK, standover was tighter than expected. The mediums tt of 23.75 sounds OK, but a seat tube measurement of 16.5 sounds way low compared to what I'm used to.

Just wanted to confirm that there are some Niner riders out there around my size enjoying their mediums.

Comments appreciated.
    "Whatever it takes". Olympic 1500m swimmer Grant Hackett before Olympic final despite having the flu. He won. I love that.

mtbr member
    I am 6'2'' and I put about 150 miles on a medium.... Loved the crispness but my back started to kill me!
    Get a medium....

code: mtbr2011
    i'm 5'10" and i ride a medium rip9. i rode a large santa cruz superlight prior.

i like the feel of being on a larger bike. the medium fits me right. i never rode the large, but think it would have been too big.

mtbr member
    You're between sizes so it's tough to say. Top tube length should really be the most important measurement so if you normally ride 23.75 then go for the medium. You're going to have a ton of post on a niner that's why they require a 400mm post. I have 11" of post on mine at 5'10".

Closekids.com
    I'm 5-11 and ride a medium RIP. Went from a L Fisher X-Cal that was too big after moving to the Medium. It is perfect.
    Me to my riding buddy, "Want to ride this afternoon?"
    Him, "I can't. I have to chop this guys foot off at 2".

mtbr member
    I have a brand new bbb post I ordered for my medium right before I sold it. Its 27.2x450!
    40 shipped.

mtbr member
    Also a rip/jet etc will be a different fit than sir/mcr/one...

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    This is proving difficult. Must be a dang conspiracy against 5'11"ers!

Have been doing extensive researching through the posts, and the majority of similar heighted riders seem to be going the large. Typical, find a good local deal on an MCR but it only applies to a medium. Might have to demo that large again. It had a Minute fork up front which might just have been at 120mm, not sure, that might have made it feel a little taller than what I was expecting.

Thanks for your replies.
    "Whatever it takes". Olympic 1500m swimmer Grant Hackett before Olympic final despite having the flu. He won. I love that.

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I am 5'11" with 34" inseam, and always hesitate between mediums and larges.

I currently have a Medium Jet, which is just a little cramped for me, but considering a large Air for my next bike. But I will try it first.

mtbr member
    Aug 2010
    well,

I am exactly 6', and about 173lbs.

I JUST purchased a brand new Niner MCR9 from Speedgoat about 2 weeks ago. I demo'd a medium and a large....at my LBS (they were $800 more expensive than Speedgoat and couldn't even come close to a pricematch)

I'm pretty lanky, but consider myself not completely out of average as far as leg and arm length for my height.

I felt a little cramped on the medium, more comfortable on the large. But I think I only noticed this because I was able to ride them back to back, within 2 minutes of each other. I could have ridden either.

At first the large felt a little to big, but after my initial trail ride, I love it. Its perfect.

I have totally gotten used to it after only 2-3 trail rides and it feels like I have been riding it for years.

I think I have 4 spacers in the headset, and a Truvativ Stylo Team riser bar, with maybe 5 degree rise....many MCRs are spec'd like this, all from Speedgoat are, and my local shop was the same.

If you want a medium, maybe you can get a Thomson Elite setback post to open up the cockpit a little more if you think its cramped....

But, the large felt better to me, being 6'.

Good luck.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by need4gforce
    Also a rip/jet etc will be a different fit than sir/mcr/one...
    Actually they will fit the same. TT length is the same seat tube length has nothing to do with fit.

mtbr member
    What was the TT length on your last bike? Figure that out and buy the Niner that matches. That's the size you should get. Don't worry about what everyone else is riding. Also, seat tube length has nothing to do with sizing. So stop worrying about that too.

mtbr member
    I am going thru the same crap with the L or XL 6'2'' 34'' pants 74'' reach

Just orderd the XL, figure with a strait post and a 90 to 100 stem I should be golden! Haha Just like the color of the frame I am getting!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

If I was riding the 6'2'' for about 150 miles and loved it I say you get the medium bro...

Happy trails!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007

Medium RIP for me

I am 5'10.5 - yes I measured.

I could not get the right position on the large and went with the medium. It fits perfect for me.

FYI: My inseam is 32" and my normal sleeve length is 33".

mtbr member
    I am 5'11" and ride a medium MCR. I tried a large AIR 9 for sizing purposes only and the top tube was way too long for me. Focus on the effective top tube and forget about the seat tube length. Personnally, when in doubt, I would rather error on the smaller side.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    I do understand that I need to focus on top tube length.

My last few mtb's have had tt's that have ranged in length from 23.4" (Yeti ASRsl) to 24.0" (Anthem X) to 23.9" (Turner Flux). All with 100 or 110mm stems. Before that a Heckler and a Superlight with slightly shorter tt's. The current 23.9 of the Turner is perfect.

But also I do have an old - almost ten years, where did the time go? - Ti hardtail. Its an old Norco Team Ti that I use as a steep hill climb or fire road training machine. Spends much of its time locked into my trainer. The reason I mention this is that its a large frame, 24.5" tt, same as the large MCR. I've got used to it over the years but have always assummed its a little long, but for its purpose its been fine. The standover seems ok.

Now with the Niners, mediums 23.75, large is 24.5. I would normally say the medium with a 100mm stem should be ok. And I do appreciate seat tube length should normally not matter, it's just the thought of maxing out a 400mm seat post just seems a little wrong to me. And also, and maybe more importantly, the standover on the large MCR felt tight, noticed it as soon as I threw my leg over it. But maybe it had a long 120 fork on it, will check that. My inseam is 33" by the way.

My two options at the moment. By the medium MCR at the good price, build it up, and see how it goes, sell the frame if necessary.

Or, look at another brand. Having said that though, the 853 MCR, its weight, the reviews, it ticks all the boxes if I get the right size.

Thanks again for all the responses.

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    5'11" with 33in inseam for me as well. I have a shorter torso, but my arms are still pretty long so over the years I have found that the best fitting bikes for me personally have top tubes between 23.25 and 23.75. Not too cramped and not too stretched-out. I just built a medium Air9 equipped with a 110mm stem and it feels just right to me. Very comfortable but still provides an agile feeling. Originally I thought I would not need a 410-450mm post, but I found that I am using quite a bit of post extension. I can't imagine buying a large, but again personal preference, riding style, and ergonomics is always the final deciding factor.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by N10S
    5'11" with 33in inseam for me as well. I have a shorter torso, but my arms are still pretty long so over the years I have found that the best fitting bikes for me personally have top tubes between 23.25 and 23.75. Not too cramped and not too stretched-out. I just built a medium Air9 equipped with a 110mm stem and it feels just right to me. Very comfortable but still provides an agile feeling. Originally I thought I would not need a 410-450mm post, but I found that I am using quite a bit of post extension. I can't imagine buying a large, but again personal preference, riding style, and ergonomics is always the final deciding factor.
    Thanks Jeff. That's pretty compelling. Sounds like very similar measurements. I'm leaning Medium.

Either that or a Vassago Bandersnatch 18"!

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    About 2 weeks ago i finished building up a Air Niner, medium size and i am 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I rode it 5 times both on pavement and on the trails. It is to small for me. I had a Thomson masterpiece seat post all the way up to the warning line. I thought that was odd, so i got to ride a friends Air Niner in a large and i found out that we (thats you mike and me) should use a large size and then just use a little shorter stem to bring everything back to the rider. Bitterbrush cycles had a sale today on a large Air Niner in blue just like my medium Air Niner for $680 shipped. I spoke to a very nice guy named Glenn and he said i will have the large frame early next week. Hope this helps with your question. I will post again after i switch frames.

mtbr member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by doralswheels
    About 2 weeks ago i finished building up a Air Niner, medium size and i am 5'11" with a 32" inseam. I rode it 5 times both on pavement and on the trails. It is to small for me. I had a Thomson masterpiece seat post all the way up to the warning line. I thought that was odd, so i got to ride a friends Air Niner in a large and i found out that we (thats you mike and me) should use a large size and then just use a little shorter stem to bring everything back to the rider. Bitterbrush cycles had a sale today on a large Air Niner in blue just like my medium Air Niner for $680 shipped. I spoke to a very nice guy named Glenn and he said i will have the large frame early next week. Hope this helps with your question. I will post again after i switch frames.
    Thanks. Its a tough one, to be sure. Almost feel it might be a deal breaker. Maybe a Niner is not for me? I'll have to try find a medium to demo and take the large for another ride and closely look at how it's set up.

Drew from Niner suggested the large but did say it would come down to which felt best to me.

Rediscovered
    I was in the same boat last November when I built up my EMD - I ended up going with the large.

I'm 5'11 with a 32-33" inseam.

I tried a couple medium sized 29" bikes, and decided I felt too cramped, so I went up on the size scale and couldn't be happier.

mtbr member
    MikeeR you would be fine on either. If you just can't handle running a mile of post get the large. You can easilly run a 90mm stem and be ok. But it sounds like you'd be better on a medium. My last 26" bike was a large Turner Flux (old horst link style) with a 23.9 tt. I now ride a medium Air 9 with 11" of post and a 90mm stem. That is my 4th Niner all mediums.

I'm 5'10" with a 34" inseam so it sounds like I am running more post than you would be. It's really a non issue it just looks strange at first. That's just the way they are made to give you plenty of standover.

mtbr member
    To me the whole short and long stem would make a big difference on the way the bike handles...

A 90 mm vs a 110 for instance.

The 90mm will keep the weight off the front less than the 110 would... I feel like being over the front end a little helps handle this big wheels.

Any thoughts on this?

mtbr member
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeeR
    Thanks Jeff. That's pretty compelling. Sounds like very similar measurements. I'm leaning Medium.

Either that or a Vassago Bandersnatch 18"!
    Whatever you do, DONT go with another brand. Niner is the best...IMHO!

I'm 6'-0" with a 33 inch inseam. I ride a large, but I personally wanted more room in the cockpit. I have a buddy with a medium and for me, it feels cramped, but that's riding his without any adjustments at all to the seat or stem.

A set back seat post could do the trick on the medium if needed. But, if you mess with stem length too much, it will definately change the way the bike handles. For instance, the difference between a 110mm and a 90mm is pretty darn severe. If you get a large and put a 90mm stem or shorter on it to get it to fit, its going to get really twitchy. If you get a medium and put a 110 or 120 on it, its going to be slow and sluggish.

You really need to ride them both since you are between sizes, but bottom line, ask yourself this: Is my height more in legs or torso. If you have a long torso and long reach, the large will fit. If you have long legs and a short torso and short reach, the medium will fit. You should be able to tell that pretty easily.

Good luck...and stick with Niner. I think either size would make you a happy Niner camper!
    "...quit hitting me with your hammer"
    www.msmtb.org
    Niner EMD 1x9 ~ Niner SIR9 SS

mtbr member
    Sep 2004
    Too much stem extension can cause other bad handling traits. I have been running a 120mm stem with a flat bar on my other bike which is a 93 GT Zaskar and the effect it has is that it places too much of my weight forward over the front of the frame and forks. I have had several wrecks with this set-up as the result of having the front end dig in fast corners with my body weight carried too far forward ending in a semi-sideways endo. I have had a couple of different wrecks with this exact set of circumstances and several incidents that were almost the same result but I managed to correct and make the save. The old GT's are great handling bikes, but front weight bias with a longer stem and flat bar hunched forward riding position combined with a fast handling bike has proven to be a bad combo for me personally. I have since tried using a 110mm stem with a riser bar and the bike felt far less prone to this kind of behaivour.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast