Loser

Alternative rear shock for RIP9 Alloy?

I'm considering replacing the Rockshox Monarch on my RIP9. I feel like there should be better options out there - what are they? I have zero experience with rear shocks (other than what comes on the bike). I have it with as much sag as I dare (25%) and I haven't used all the travel once (or close) in 2 months of riding.

Any help appreciated.
    John
    Big Strings, Big Wheels, The Jisch Blog

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    I have an X-Fusion O2 RCX on my Rip RDO and it seems to be a great match. Much more mid travel support than the Fox CTD, yet very supple.

mtbr member
    Sep 2005
    I also have a RIP with a monarch rear and run around 25% sag. I have never gotten the o-ring to the end of the piston, but have think I have felt the occasional bottom out. Looking at the markings it seems like the shock bottoms out before the ring would reach the end of the piston, maybe Niner can clarify.

Loser
    I'll have to see how far it goes when I let air out, maybe I'm aiming for something that isn't there. I set it to 30% sag today and it felt much better, but I think that's too much sag. I'll check tomorrow and report back.

mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Niner uses a fairly low leverage ratio and the shock doesn't need a heavy tune. It is also very efficient, so you might not need 25% sag.

Loser
    carlhulit for the win, if you measure 2" down from the start of travel you will see that the o-ring is far from the bottom of the shock when its bottomed out. I'll see how much different it feels now that I know I'm using all the travel. I know that shouldn't make a difference, but I know it will.

NMBP
    Quote Originally Posted by Jisch View Post
    carlhulit for the win, if you measure 2" down from the start of travel you will see that the o-ring is far from the bottom of the shock when its bottomed out.
    This is good info to know, as it looked like I was not getting anywhere near full travel as well. Just different than the Fox shocks I guess.

Any new observations? What sag have you been running? I have a few rides on mine, and think it feels pretty good at 25% sag, and I am after a nice plush ride. I have just run the shock in the open position, as the CVA suss. is so efficient. I will experiment with lower pressures as well at some point.

Side note: What is everyone running for rebound?

Loser
    I have mine at about 25% too - I'm glad I'm getting full travel, but I still thing the Pushed Fox on my 2009 was more plush than the Monarch. Its not harsh, but its just not as plush. I know its purely psychological, but it feels better knowing that I'm getting all the travel.

I have my rebound 2 clicks from the fastest, I always run my shocks with fast rebound, I like that feeling better on fast chattery descents.

NMBP
    I have mine at about 25% too - I'm glad I'm getting full travel, but I still thing the Pushed Fox on my 2009 was more plush than the Monarch. Its not harsh, but its just not as plush. I know its purely psychological, but it feels better knowing that I'm getting all the travel.

I have my rebound 2 clicks from the fastest, I always run my shocks with fast rebound, I like that feeling better on fast chattery descents.
    My 2010 had a PUSH'D RP23 as well, and it was great. I don't have a lot of time on the new one, so I really can't make a fair comparison yet. It is better than I had anticipated though. I would most likely send it off to PUSH when it needed service, but unfortunately, they do not work on them.

Loser
    Quote Originally Posted by gfs69 View Post
    I would most likely send it off to PUSH when it needed service, but unfortunately, they do not work on them.
    Likewise.

NMBP
    Likewise.
    Suspension Experts in NC does work on them BTW. Apparently they are teaming up with PUSH in the near future in some way.