mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Air9 Pivoting Rear Wheel?

Took my new Air9 out for an 18 mile spin today. I'm new to the 29 platform, coming off a 26 FS. I rode this trail about a month ago on a friends Gary Fisher Cobia, which was the deciding factor for me to make the move. Although I bought the Air9 frame and spent a wad on wheels, fork, etc. I had never ridden a Niner.

It felt similar to the GF at low speeds, but something strange happened as I got it up to a good pace (~10mph+).....as I was going around turns, it started to feel that the rear wheel was pivoting in the opposite direction of the front (like a monster truck)......the bike was snaking around corners. I kept looking down to make sure something wasn't wrong with the rear wheel. What a crazy and fantastic sensation! I'm not sure if it's the frame, or wheelset (Spinergy Xyclone), but I'm digging how this thing handles. It's almost like it's reacting to my body. I've had good point and shoot rides, and good corning bikes, but nothing like this.

mtbr member
    you got enough air in the rear? you running tires with flexy sidewalls?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The tires are WTB Exiwolf 2.3...running about 28 pounds.....with or without tubes they feel about the same. The sidewalls are fairly stiff on these tires. At 32 lbs or so they feel like a rock.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    The AIR 9 has very short chainstays for a 29er. I don't know about the other bike you rode but maybe that is part of the handling difference?

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    The primary point of the thread is that I've been thrilled with the handling characteristics of the Air9. After logging 18 miles Friday and 26 yesterday (different trails), I have a much better feel for it now. I'm not sure what other 29ers handle like, but the talk about slow acceleration, lethargic handling, slow turning......do not apply to this bike. It handles very much like a 26er but more stable, smoother, faster, and fits me better than anything I've ridden.....In other words, a home run! I DID pay attention to chainstay lengths though, when considering the route I wanted to go. I came really close to getting a Voodoo Canzo b/c I refused to go back hard tail. But the Canzo's chainstay is longer, plus the frame is heavier. I wanted a lively bike, that was fast. Eventually I go FS again (as I get older), but I've been very pleased that I haven't felt beat up at all, and the rides have been exactly what I look for.

mtbr member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by MicBay73
    thrilled with the handling characteristics of the Air9.
    Not surprised at all by this. I know I like mine