Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Air9 or jet9??

  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    37

    Air9 or jet9??

    Looking to build more of a XC bike, but unsure if I want to stay with FS or venture into a HT!! Currently riding a RIP9, but I've been hearing a Jet is all but the same as a Rip. Just wanting some input from peopel that have rode both, or even a Rip and changed to a different bike. No carbon either!!

  2. #2
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    Quote Originally Posted by Mxrider458 View Post
    Looking to build more of a XC bike, but unsure if I want to stay with FS or venture into a HT!! Currently riding a RIP9, but I've been hearing a Jet is all but the same as a Rip. Just wanting some input from peopel that have rode both, or even a Rip and changed to a different bike. No carbon either!!
    I have an Air9 & don't like it as much as My old Jet9.

    I really like Rip9's but if your not into the ruff stuff the Rip9 can feel alittle dead compared to the Jet9.

    There is not alot of speed difference but the Jet9 does feel more alive.

    What's your setup on the Rip9 ??

  3. #3
    spec4life???..smh...
    Reputation: spec4life's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,093
    I have an air 9 that I love for XC riding and racing. It light, fast, and efficient.

    I demoed a Rip and honestly couldnt wait to get it back. It felt nice on the downhills but anytime I had to pedal it just felt like an anchor. Just dead. Not fun for me.

    I also demoed a Jet 9 RDO and it felt like it went down almost as well as the rip but as muzz said just felt so much more lively, agile and fast. It pedaled great on the flats and soaked up the small bumps so you could keep putting the power down without losing traction like a hardtail. However, on the steep climbs or fast accelerations where I had to stand I could feel the pedal bob and the power being lost.

    Therefore, I like my air 9 the most for pure XC racing (aside from those courses that are so rough a little lost on the climbs is made up for by faster descending). That being said for 50 or 100 milers or just everyday trail riding the Jet would be my choice.

  4. #4
    DTP
    DTP is offline
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2012
    Posts
    91
    I have two jet 9's one alloy and an RDO. I sold the alloy and got an AIR 9 RDO. Been using it a few days now and each time i sit on my jet 9 RDO it feels like HOME.

    On my GPS the average speed, lap times and distance traveled for 90mins was exactly the same (air 9 rdo and jet 9 alloy). This was done on asphalt. I transfered ALL the parts from the old jet 9 alloy onto the new air 9 RDO.

    I still am stumped on the data i got but still will need more tests on other areas like up a steep hill.

  5. #5
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Dec 2011
    Posts
    37
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    I have an Air9 & don't like it as much as My old Jet9.

    I really like Rip9's but if your not into the ruff stuff the Rip9 can feel alittle dead compared to the Jet9.

    There is not alot of speed difference but the Jet9 does feel more alive.

    What's your setup on the Rip9 ??
    Build on my Rip9
    Fox TALAS 95/120...find myself stayin at 95mm a lot cuz of the climbing. The faster downhills I do, I will crank it back up to 120
    Stans Flow time with NN's mounted
    Hayes prime pro brakes
    SRAM X9 crank, shifters, derailures (2x10)
    Thompson elite post
    KK headset
    Answer stem and pro taper low rise bars
    Candy 3 pedals

    With keeping the fork mostly at 95mm was why I wasn't sure if the jet9 would be better over the Air9 or not(keeping around a 4" FS bike). I love the way the Rip feels, but like stated, does feel dead at times. Stuck with X9 build for durability. Lots of rocks, and seen to many lighter weight tear derailures broke in the rocks.

  6. #6
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,236
    It sounds to me that the Jet9 would be a much better fit for you than the Rip9,

    Just change everything across from the Rip9 to a Jet9 & I'm sure it will give you every thing you are after.


    Quote Originally Posted by Mxrider458 View Post
    Build on my Rip9
    Fox TALAS 95/120...find myself stayin at 95mm a lot cuz of the climbing. The faster downhills I do, I will crank it back up to 120
    Stans Flow time with NN's mounted
    Hayes prime pro brakes
    SRAM X9 crank, shifters, derailures (2x10)
    Thompson elite post
    KK headset
    Answer stem and pro taper low rise bars
    Candy 3 pedals

    With keeping the fork mostly at 95mm was why I wasn't sure if the jet9 would be better over the Air9 or not(keeping around a 4" FS bike). I love the way the Rip feels, but like stated, does feel dead at times. Stuck with X9 build for durability. Lots of rocks, and seen to many lighter weight tear derailures broke in the rocks.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •