mtbr member
    Oct 2010

Air9 and fork travel

I am building up a S Air9 for the wife and the place I am getting the parts from is 'kinda' pushing a 140 fork on me. The first fork the guy reccoed was the new Fox 32 Float SC Performance 100mm. I didn't want to spend that much $ and I suggested a Rockshox Sektor Gold at 120mm. Unfortunately, the only Sektor in stock is the 140mm. Sales guy said if anything the additional travel would 'help.' I'm thinking not and not sure of his technical bike knowledge. He's in sales (and I don't see any 120mm thru axle forks available <$400) in their inventory.

The bike will only see trails, fire roads and single track. It will not be pushed super hard.

I see Niner is speccing their 2-star with 120mm. Must be a reason.

What do you think on travel? Decent fork suggestions <$400?

mtbr member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by sfo423 View Post
    I am building up a S Air9 for the wife and the place I am getting the parts from is 'kinda' pushing a 140 fork on me. The first fork the guy reccoed was the new Fox 32 Float SC Performance 100mm. I didn't want to spend that much $ and I suggested a Rockshox Sektor Gold at 120mm. Unfortunately, the only Sektor in stock is the 140mm. Sales guy said if anything the additional travel would 'help.' I'm thinking not and not sure of his technical bike knowledge. He's in sales (and I don't see any 120mm thru axle forks available <$400) in their inventory.

The bike will only see trails, fire roads and single track. It will not be pushed super hard.

I see Niner is speccing their 2-star with 120mm. Must be a reason.

What do you think on travel? Decent fork suggestions <$400?
    You may want to double check with Niner, but I don't think the bike is designed around a 140mm front shock. I suspect 100 or 120mm would be much more suitable.

The new RockShox SID is launching shortly, so if you shop around you might find some good deals on the current gen SID. I'm running the SID World Cup 100mm on my Air 9 RDO and it has been a great combo. There are also some really good deals on the inverted RS-1 right now. Might be another option to look into.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I'll check on the SID. I found a really good deal on a 120mm Revelation RC3 that would be a good option. Its NOS, but none-the-less, better than the Sektor and fits the budget.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuttermax View Post
    You may want to double check with Niner, but I don't think the bike is designed around a 140mm front shock. I suspect 100 or 120mm would be much more suitable.

The new RockShox SID is launching shortly, so if you shop around you might find some good deals on the current gen SID. I'm running the SID World Cup 100mm on my Air 9 RDO and it has been a great combo. There are also some really good deals on the inverted RS-1 right now. Might be another option to look into.

mtbr member
    Oct 2009
    the sektor travel can be reduced to 120 via the spacers. I have the same fork on a ROS 9 set to 130. That fork can handle anything thrown at it. And the new SID is only coming in 100mm

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I got the 120mm Revelation RC3. I think it a better option than the Sektor w/spacers. I got a great deal as well so can't complain.

Quote Originally Posted by jdgang View Post
    the sektor travel can be reduced to 120 via the spacers. I have the same fork on a ROS 9 set to 130. That fork can handle anything thrown at it. And the new SID is only coming in 100mm

USED2COULD
    I have a 100mm SID on my Air 9 C, and in my eye a 120mm fork likely feels a little tall. I'd never put my 140mm Pike on my Air 9.
    <Insert Quiver>