Thread: Air9 Creak

mtbr member
    Apr 2010

Air9 Creak

After about 150 miles on my Air9....the top tube started creaking today. I'm having flashbacks to my old Trek hard tail. Is it normal for frame to creak? I searched the forums and didn't see a lot discussion about it.

30-ton War Machine
    What seat post binder do you have on it? I had a QR Hope on mine and it started to make noise after about 100 miles. I swapped to a Thomson and the squeak went away. I have also heard that SOME front derailleur clamps will make noise.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I guess I should give ALL of the info. I'm actually running a shim in there so I can use an older raceface prodidy post (27.2). Everything is greased up though. The clamp is some generic brand (off ebay) that is solid, but adds nice bling with my other blue parts.

The post is 400mm, but extended pretty high. It's within the reccomended limit, but close to max. I keep wondering it the long post is my culprit? 450mm x 31.6 posts with an offset are hard to find.

I also have a "chirp" going on.....that I hear when out of the saddle, going fast over bumps. It's driving me crazy too. I can't isolate it. I've wondered if the front derailleur is the culprit for that?

mtbr member
    Feb 2008
    I would take the seat off the seat post. Clean it up and torque it back down again.

mtbr member
    Dec 2009
    Remove the shim and use the correct seatpost. I had a Thompson clamp that made noise and allowed the post to slip. I have switched to a Salsa and no problems.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I took it out, greased it up.....it was much more quite at first, then halfway into yesterday's ride, creaky again...plus the post started slipping a tiny bit. I'm going to remove the post & shim and put a 31.6 in there....hopefully that will solve it.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004

Air9 creak

I've got both an Air9 and One9. The Air9 uses a shim and 27.2 Ti post with no issues. The One9 uses a 31.6mm Thompson Masterpiece run at the limit. It creaks. I've honed the seat tube, greased under and changed seatcollars, and it still comes and goes. Might try a longer Thompson Elite and see if it helps. Or switch to a shim and a 27.2 post.
    that rug really tied the room together.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I put a 31.6mm RaceFace carbon post on it yesterday and did a quick ride around the house some.....no creak. The real test will be on the trail Saturday......I'll report in and see if that fixed it...I'm hopeful though!

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Went on an 18 mile ride today, on a trail with lots of roots......not a single creak! The post was the trick...go figure. Now to figure out the chirp (while out of the saddle going through bumpy sections) and clacking noise in the drive train.

mtbr member
    Grease on the skewers?

What did you use when you installed the bottom bracket?

Any carbon/ aluminum contact?