Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    mtbr member
    Jun 2006

Air nine Carbon delay

I had been considering a racing type hardtail 29er, and had consicered the Air 9, but don't love Aluminum ride properties. I have heard all of the improvements of Scandium, but overall would prefer a Carbon frame. I was really interested in the Air 9 carbon, but now I see that it is delayed, and I would assume that it probably is due to reliability/durability issues with the carbon... But I don't know of course. Does anyone know what caused the holdup and what the possible projected date of availability will be?

I really love how this frame looks, but Reliability is very important. Just ask my 1995 Trek OCLV bike. It has provided me years ofreliable peasure... Racing, riding Moab, road training rides.

i don't give a shift
    Take a look at their press release from 05/21/2010.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    Thanks!

mtbr member
    Nov 2006
    the delay is due to capacity shortages in asia.

basically all major brands are using a few manufactures and right now EVERYBODY is out of carbon frames. obviously, the big players like S or trek got more purchasing power to get some more frames whereas the smaller players are being delayed.

not much niner can do here IMO.

30-ton War Machine
    Perfect time for Niner to get with the boys and girls in Tennessee and build a Ti9......

Birthday Collector
    Geee - if the demand is that high, and there is a lack of facilities in ASIA to make the frames - perhaps someone should step up and get a facility going here in the US to do some CF frame and fork (as well as bars and seatposts, etc..). Pay folks here to build bikes that will be (most likely) bought and ridden here. If there are jobs that pay people enough money to buy things like nice bikes, they will - if all the jobs are in asia, India, etc... then there won't be anyone here spending on a nice bike. /Rant
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    Perfect time for Niner to get with the boys and girls in Tennessee and build a Ti9......

A Ti9 with the inter-changeable BB shell inserts (as per Air Carbon 9), oh hell yeah

Bored Carp
    I'd be curious as to the final outcome, that day you were buying a carbon frame, and were faced with the cost difference between 2 equally high quality products, one made in Asia, in in the US.

If responsible purchasing were an actual characteristic of the American shopper, Walmart wouldn't exist and we would all belong to CSA programs.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

Birthday Collector
    And while this isn't a World-Changing venue, I think that the price difference between that US-made and the Asian-made CF frame would still depend solely on the profit margin that the distributor/reseller decided that they want. CF fabrication (or other) moving to Asia did not lower consumer prices much, if any. It increased margins. Asian CF quality is outstanding, as is U.S. - as long as they follow the proper procedures. My comment was more that if there is a demand, and the locations there cannot supply - why not put some of the millions of out of work here into a facility so more of the people who would be riding these bikes can afford them?

Now - that Ti bike thought is much more appealing! driver bob's comment is one of those that makes me think "Last bike I'd ever need to buy" thoughts!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    And while this isn't a World-Changing venue, I think that the price difference between that US-made and the Asian-made CF frame would still depend solely on the profit margin that the distributor/reseller decided that they want. CF fabrication (or other) moving to Asia did not lower consumer prices much, if any. It increased margins. Asian CF quality is outstanding, as is U.S. - as long as they follow the proper procedures. My comment was more that if there is a demand, and the locations there cannot supply - why not put some of the millions of out of work here into a facility so more of the people who would be riding these bikes can afford them?

Now - that Ti bike thought is much more appealing! driver bob's comment is one of those that makes me think "Last bike I'd ever need to buy" thoughts!
    Dave Turner of Turner bikes claims that a US made Edge Composites front triangle would add $1000 to the cost of one of his already very expensive bikes.

So, $3500 US made frames with carbon front tris and aluminum rears.

I suspect that the tooling costs alone would never be recouped, nevermind making a profit, as sales volume would be so low.
    www.seanhannity.com <=not what you think it is.

Homeopathy is the Air Guitar of Medicine.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

TiNiner

Actually Niner had a Ti hardtail at Interbike 08 I believe, but they never actually made it available to the public. Anyone remember the pics of this or if anyone was there, did they see it?

Would be interesting for sure.

mtbr member
    Jun 2006

TiNiner

Actually Niner had a Ti hardtail at Interbike 08 I believe, but they never actually made it available to the public. Anyone remember the pics of this or if anyone was there, did they see it?

Would be interesting for sure.

Bored Carp
    Wish it was that simple. It isn't.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

30-ton War Machine

mtbr member
    ....be still my beating heart....

I can see past the graphics, close your eye's and picture laser etched Niner logo's......

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    I still want a Ti Niner SS. Badly.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard3rd
    I had been considering a racing type hardtail 29er, and had consicered the Air 9, but don't love Aluminum ride properties. I have heard all of the improvements of Scandium, but overall would prefer a Carbon frame. I was really interested in the Air 9 carbon, but now I see that it is delayed, and I would assume that it probably is due to reliability/durability issues with the carbon... But I don't know of course. Does anyone know what caused the holdup and what the possible projected date of availability will be?

I really love how this frame looks, but Reliability is very important. Just ask my 1995 Trek OCLV bike. It has provided me years ofreliable peasure... Racing, riding Moab, road training rides.
    Just wait for the OCLV GF Superfly hardtail some are predicting will be out next year. That should be pretty bomber (for carbon). Of course OCLV hasn't helped the swingarm on the SF100 (although that appears to have just one production run).

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishlips
    Just wait for the OCLV GF Superfly hardtail some are predicting will be out next year. That should be pretty bomber (for carbon). Of course OCLV hasn't helped the swingarm on the SF100 (although that appears to have just one production run).
    I would but I don't get on with G2 geometry.

mtbr member
    Niner - reconsider the Ti!

mtbr member
    Apr 2008
    HAHA they dont even use their own carbon forks with the Ti frame.. How messed up is that.

more skier than biker
    Nov 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcgrew
    HAHA they dont even use their own carbon forks with the Ti frame.. How messed up is that.
    I think it's because those frames were made, and those pics taken (2007? 2008?), before Niner ever had any carbon forks.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    I think it's because those frames were made, and those pics taken (2007? 2008?), before Niner ever had any carbon forks.
    No think about it, that's exactly why that fork is on there.

Someone needs a facepalm !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I've said it countless times. Niner should've made the Ti frame before jumping on the carbon bandwagon. There'd be normal people racing and riding them right now, unlike the carbon frames.

Whoever mentioned talking to the people in tennessee about building a Ti frame, I'd say that might just be a good idea. I ended up going that route, but niner didn't make any money on that deal. Have to say, once I got used to it I actually like lynskey's 2010 geo more than I liked my MCR's. While I may buy another niner in the future, its much less likely now.

While there's some weight behind the fact that other 'bigger' companies are swallowing up production capacity for carbon frames it is something that should've been considered long before jumping headfirst into the carbon arena. It's fairly obvious that analysis on production bottlenecks wasn't a high priority for niner on this one. At least they're honest and admit to the problem. Can only hope they're learning from it.

Where's Toto?
    Ti please

30-ton War Machine
    I'd buy a ti9 in size small right now if Niner would do it and be done with bike shopping for a long long time. As long as they don't do ti I "have" to look to Lynskey, Black Sheep, Eriksen, DeSalvo and others.....
    Isaac

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast