Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 50 of 75
  1. #1
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    106

    Air nine Carbon delay

    I had been considering a racing type hardtail 29er, and had consicered the Air 9, but don't love Aluminum ride properties. I have heard all of the improvements of Scandium, but overall would prefer a Carbon frame. I was really interested in the Air 9 carbon, but now I see that it is delayed, and I would assume that it probably is due to reliability/durability issues with the carbon... But I don't know of course. Does anyone know what caused the holdup and what the possible projected date of availability will be?

    I really love how this frame looks, but Reliability is very important. Just ask my 1995 Trek OCLV bike. It has provided me years ofreliable peasure... Racing, riding Moab, road training rides.

  2. #2
    i don't give a shift
    Reputation: collideous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    863
    Take a look at their press release from 05/21/2010.

  3. #3
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    106
    Thanks!

  4. #4
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    998
    the delay is due to capacity shortages in asia.

    basically all major brands are using a few manufactures and right now EVERYBODY is out of carbon frames. obviously, the big players like S or trek got more purchasing power to get some more frames whereas the smaller players are being delayed.

    not much niner can do here IMO.

  5. #5
    30-ton War Machine
    Reputation: edgerat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    794
    Perfect time for Niner to get with the boys and girls in Tennessee and build a Ti9......

  6. #6
    Birthday Collector
    Reputation: ATBScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,580
    Geee - if the demand is that high, and there is a lack of facilities in ASIA to make the frames - perhaps someone should step up and get a facility going here in the US to do some CF frame and fork (as well as bars and seatposts, etc..). Pay folks here to build bikes that will be (most likely) bought and ridden here. If there are jobs that pay people enough money to buy things like nice bikes, they will - if all the jobs are in asia, India, etc... then there won't be anyone here spending on a nice bike. /Rant
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

  7. #7
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by edgerat
    Perfect time for Niner to get with the boys and girls in Tennessee and build a Ti9......

    A Ti9 with the inter-changeable BB shell inserts (as per Air Carbon 9), oh hell yeah

  8. #8
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,583
    I'd be curious as to the final outcome, that day you were buying a carbon frame, and were faced with the cost difference between 2 equally high quality products, one made in Asia, in in the US.

    If responsible purchasing were an actual characteristic of the American shopper, Walmart wouldn't exist and we would all belong to CSA programs.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  9. #9
    Birthday Collector
    Reputation: ATBScott's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    2,580
    And while this isn't a World-Changing venue, I think that the price difference between that US-made and the Asian-made CF frame would still depend solely on the profit margin that the distributor/reseller decided that they want. CF fabrication (or other) moving to Asia did not lower consumer prices much, if any. It increased margins. Asian CF quality is outstanding, as is U.S. - as long as they follow the proper procedures. My comment was more that if there is a demand, and the locations there cannot supply - why not put some of the millions of out of work here into a facility so more of the people who would be riding these bikes can afford them?

    Now - that Ti bike thought is much more appealing! driver bob's comment is one of those that makes me think "Last bike I'd ever need to buy" thoughts!
    R.I.P. Corky 10/97-4/09
    Disclaimer: I sell and repair bikes for a living
    http://www.endlesscyclesonline.com

  10. #10
    mtbr member
    Reputation: juan_speeder's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2008
    Posts
    1,280
    Quote Originally Posted by ATBScott
    And while this isn't a World-Changing venue, I think that the price difference between that US-made and the Asian-made CF frame would still depend solely on the profit margin that the distributor/reseller decided that they want. CF fabrication (or other) moving to Asia did not lower consumer prices much, if any. It increased margins. Asian CF quality is outstanding, as is U.S. - as long as they follow the proper procedures. My comment was more that if there is a demand, and the locations there cannot supply - why not put some of the millions of out of work here into a facility so more of the people who would be riding these bikes can afford them?

    Now - that Ti bike thought is much more appealing! driver bob's comment is one of those that makes me think "Last bike I'd ever need to buy" thoughts!
    Dave Turner of Turner bikes claims that a US made Edge Composites front triangle would add $1000 to the cost of one of his already very expensive bikes.

    So, $3500 US made frames with carbon front tris and aluminum rears.

    I suspect that the tooling costs alone would never be recouped, nevermind making a profit, as sales volume would be so low.
    Supply Side Jesusnomosist

  11. #11
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    106

    TiNiner

    Actually Niner had a Ti hardtail at Interbike 08 I believe, but they never actually made it available to the public. Anyone remember the pics of this or if anyone was there, did they see it?

    Would be interesting for sure.

  12. #12
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    106

    TiNiner

    Actually Niner had a Ti hardtail at Interbike 08 I believe, but they never actually made it available to the public. Anyone remember the pics of this or if anyone was there, did they see it?

    Would be interesting for sure.

  13. #13
    Bored Carp
    Reputation: chuky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2005
    Posts
    1,583
    Wish it was that simple. It isn't.
    I only attempt to change the world in the appropriate World-Changing venues and forums.

  14. #14
    30-ton War Machine
    Reputation: edgerat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    794

  15. #15
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,933
    ....be still my beating heart....

    I can see past the graphics, close your eye's and picture laser etched Niner logo's......

  16. #16
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    1,303
    I still want a Ti Niner SS. Badly.
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

  17. #17
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    Posts
    562
    Quote Originally Posted by Bernard3rd
    I had been considering a racing type hardtail 29er, and had consicered the Air 9, but don't love Aluminum ride properties. I have heard all of the improvements of Scandium, but overall would prefer a Carbon frame. I was really interested in the Air 9 carbon, but now I see that it is delayed, and I would assume that it probably is due to reliability/durability issues with the carbon... But I don't know of course. Does anyone know what caused the holdup and what the possible projected date of availability will be?

    I really love how this frame looks, but Reliability is very important. Just ask my 1995 Trek OCLV bike. It has provided me years ofreliable peasure... Racing, riding Moab, road training rides.
    Just wait for the OCLV GF Superfly hardtail some are predicting will be out next year. That should be pretty bomber (for carbon). Of course OCLV hasn't helped the swingarm on the SF100 (although that appears to have just one production run).

  18. #18
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Fishlips
    Just wait for the OCLV GF Superfly hardtail some are predicting will be out next year. That should be pretty bomber (for carbon). Of course OCLV hasn't helped the swingarm on the SF100 (although that appears to have just one production run).
    I would but I don't get on with G2 geometry.

  19. #19
    mtbr member
    Reputation: abp689's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    179
    Niner - reconsider the Ti!

  20. #20
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    51
    HAHA they dont even use their own carbon forks with the Ti frame.. How messed up is that.

  21. #21
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,080
    Quote Originally Posted by jmcgrew
    HAHA they dont even use their own carbon forks with the Ti frame.. How messed up is that.
    I think it's because those frames were made, and those pics taken (2007? 2008?), before Niner ever had any carbon forks.

  22. #22
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,933
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    I think it's because those frames were made, and those pics taken (2007? 2008?), before Niner ever had any carbon forks.
    No think about it, that's exactly why that fork is on there.

    Someone needs a facepalm !!!
    Attached Images Attached Images  

  23. #23
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    I've said it countless times. Niner should've made the Ti frame before jumping on the carbon bandwagon. There'd be normal people racing and riding them right now, unlike the carbon frames.

    Whoever mentioned talking to the people in tennessee about building a Ti frame, I'd say that might just be a good idea. I ended up going that route, but niner didn't make any money on that deal. Have to say, once I got used to it I actually like lynskey's 2010 geo more than I liked my MCR's. While I may buy another niner in the future, its much less likely now.

    While there's some weight behind the fact that other 'bigger' companies are swallowing up production capacity for carbon frames it is something that should've been considered long before jumping headfirst into the carbon arena. It's fairly obvious that analysis on production bottlenecks wasn't a high priority for niner on this one. At least they're honest and admit to the problem. Can only hope they're learning from it.

  24. #24
    Where's Toto?
    Reputation: endure26's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2004
    Posts
    1,192
    Ti please

  25. #25
    30-ton War Machine
    Reputation: edgerat's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    794
    I'd buy a ti9 in size small right now if Niner would do it and be done with bike shopping for a long long time. As long as they don't do ti I "have" to look to Lynskey, Black Sheep, Eriksen, DeSalvo and others.....
    Isaac

  26. #26
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,933
    Argh cr@p...my LBS just showed me the new carbon Cannondale's which are shipping 3rd quarter this year.

  27. #27
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    1
    BMC has opened a fully automated carbon frame factory in switzerland. They claim that they will not have any production variances compared to the handbuild asia frames. You even get life waranty! They have made bad experiences in the past with their partners in asia ... just a hint :-)

  28. #28
    mtbr member
    Reputation: wannabeRacer's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    1,107
    double wow, a Ti Niner with DT carbon fork, thats strange? Probably why this person selling his niner fork at a high rate in flee-buy, see item = 370406177668

  29. #29
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: 2melow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    2,656
    Quote Originally Posted by wannabeRacer
    double wow, a Ti Niner with DT carbon fork, thats strange? Probably why this person selling his niner fork at a high rate in flee-buy, see item = 370406177668

    OK, for the record the Niner carbon fork came 12-18 MONTHS AFTER the titanium prototypes.

    - The titanium prototypes were also DESIGNED around a DT Swiss 440mm A 2 C fork.

    I rode the one of the ti proto's for about a year. It was nice, but the carbon bike is a whole different animal and a full two pounds lighter at least.

    Brett
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

  30. #30
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,080
    Sooo....the last official update from Niner on A9C delivery was "first week of July" (as per May newsletter) for first batch mediums and tapered carbon forks. It is now the second week of July and I haven't heard a peep about my frame...has anyone heard any recent updates on delivery?

  31. #31
    i don't give a shift
    Reputation: collideous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    863
    Quote Originally Posted by Tyrone Shoelaces
    ... has anyone heard any recent updates on delivery?
    My shop told me that the frame's been unfortunately delayed for another month (mid August). I was looking forward to riding it this summer, but that's not going to happen.

  32. #32
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    Quote Originally Posted by collideous
    My shop told me that the frame's been unfortunately delayed for another month (mid August). I was looking forward to riding it this summer, but that's not going to happen.
    Bummer. Looks like it'll be a 2011 race bike for many that pre-ordered... if they're even ready by then. It's really too bad, seemed like a promising frame but now it'll be late to the party with many of the competitors being in their 2nd or 3rd generation. With the number of 29er S-works hardtails I'm seeing around the midwest XC races this year it's no question that this could've been a hot seller earlier this year.

    I just hope when this unicorn is created it's nearly bombproof and truely amazing. With the other companies being in their 2nd or 3rd generation they've already had time to work out the kinks. Hopefully niner has some people out beating on these frames like there's no tomorrow as we speak, otherwise I worry about what may happen.

  33. #33
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,933
    For now looks like my next race bike will be a Flash Carbon 29'er SS...just don't tell Cannondale

    Then by mid 2011 I am hoping there will be some stock on Carbon Air9's and I can dump the Flash and switch back to Niner.

  34. #34
    i don't give a shift
    Reputation: collideous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    863
    Looks like one arrived at a shop in Italy.

  35. #35
    more skier than biker
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Nov 2006
    Posts
    2,080
    Light at end of tunnel coming soon?

    Just spoke with my shop who spoke with Niner...the word they got was that the first shipment of mediums should be arriving next week. BUT all of them are TANG.

    so if you ordered Tang, I suppose you are in luck. If you ordered White (like me..dammit) then I supposse we wait a little longer.

    don't want to spread rumors, but just passing along what my shop just told me as they heard it from their rep.

  36. #36
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,933
    Just pulled the trigger on a Cannondale for next years race bike.

    With the large number of back ordered Carbon9's it was pretty obvious I was not going to get one for the 2011 season.

    The Cannondale will be a "project" bike and once the Carbon9 has some availability I'll look at trading back then.

    I'll still have the One9's in the garage and they will be my everyday bikes.

  37. #37
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    Just pulled the trigger on a Cannondale for next years race bike.

    With the large number of back ordered Carbon9's it was pretty obvious I was not going to get one for the 2011 season.

    The Cannondale will be a "project" bike and once the Carbon9 has some availability I'll look at trading back then.

    I'll still have the One9's in the garage and they will be my everyday bikes.
    Guessing you don't have your order in? Maybe I'm overly optimistic but these things gotta start shipping soon. Or at least we ought to see an update from Chris soon.

  38. #38
    Moderator Moderator
    Reputation: driver bob's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    2,933
    No, I was not in the financial position to order one then.

    My fingers are crossed for everyone who has one on order. I'm looking forward to getting one for 2012.

  39. #39
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dparry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    153
    i heard also that Tang were the lucky ones... (hopefully me!)

    Apparently they are all stuck in customs... but that at least should mean they are on US soil???

    i too am waiting with baited breath, the SWorks 2011 looks a beauty will be available sept i expect???
    Niner Air 9 Carbon, 2010 S-WORKS 26" HT/FSR, 2009 Ibis Hakkalugi, 2008 Strange 5 Alpine.

  40. #40
    Carbon & Ti rule
    Reputation: muzzanic's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    5,397
    Yes it does make you wonder how long it will be before they catch up & have stock of frames & forks so you can just ring up & order 1.
    Raising money, my friend broke his neck Mtbing, Please Share link. http://givealittle.co.nz/cause/elliottkeys/donations

  41. #41
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    Posts
    11

    "Stuck in customs" is that the story they are using this year?

    Quote Originally Posted by dparry
    i heard also that Tang were the lucky ones... (hopefully me!)

    Apparently they are all stuck in customs... but that at least should mean they are on US soil???

    i too am waiting with baited breath, the SWorks 2011 looks a beauty will be available sept i expect???
    Last year when my air9 was 3 months past due on the promised delivery date they told me it was "in the air" being airfreighted from China. They kept saying that it was in the air for a week and a half. I guess they send their airfreight by blimp.

    Just face the facts that we all know are true. There will be few, if any A9C frames delivered this riding season. And don't think I'm trying to be a troll, I have an A9 and put a deposit on an A9C the first day. I love the bikes, but with the way they treat their customers and dealers, I'm just hoping my LBS will keep their Niner dealership long enough for me to take delivery of my frame. To their credit they have hired a new CS rep who actually returns phone calls. I am happy though that I've been able to subsidize their business for the past 6 months or so with my $500 loan.

  42. #42
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dparry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    153
    thats not what i wanted to hear...... not sure why they would do that big press release a while back stating early July, but it could be for the $500 as you say!

    surely it would make more sense to be upfront and honest if there are more problems. i dont get it..... if it is delayed much more, my order will be being withdrawn... dont want to miss first batch from other manufacturers on continually moving timeline.....
    Niner Air 9 Carbon, 2010 S-WORKS 26" HT/FSR, 2009 Ibis Hakkalugi, 2008 Strange 5 Alpine.

  43. #43
    Delirious Tuck
    Reputation: thefriar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    Posts
    2,431
    I canceled in April and talked to a bunch of builders. Was able to get my custom Ti HT sorted out, delivered, and shaken-down before there's been any A9Cs delivered to waitlistees. I still like the concept A9C, but just to many unknowns to feel comfortable with it and to justify the wait.

  44. #44
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Oct 2005
    Posts
    1,000
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find it odd that they included no updates in the most recent niner update email??? Even if it's out of their hands some accurate and up to date information would be helpful for many. All the heresay and false promises just makes it worse.

  45. #45
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dparry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    153
    i thought exactly the same thing, as there was such a song and dance around their 'early July' update! not a good sign. thinking of bailing to the big S.. 29er HT looks great, 2nd gen etc etc etc
    Niner Air 9 Carbon, 2010 S-WORKS 26" HT/FSR, 2009 Ibis Hakkalugi, 2008 Strange 5 Alpine.

  46. #46
    mtbr member
    Reputation: Niner Bikes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2004
    Posts
    1,174
    We are shipping Air 9 Carbon frames,Med and Large sizes, but delivery is still slow. We are still facing the same production issues we gave in past newsletters. We are getting frames but only a few a week. Sorry this is the best information for now.

    Chris
    Niner Bikes
    .........

    Peace,
    Niner Bikes

    Follow all things Niner Bikes on Facebook!www.ninerbikes.com

  47. #47
    i don't give a shift
    Reputation: collideous's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2006
    Posts
    863
    Hope a tang one will be on its way to Mainstreet 42 in Switzerland soon

  48. #48
    mtbr member
    Reputation: dparry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2009
    Posts
    153
    Thanks for the update Chris. I was expecting 300 frames to get to you guys early July from the press release. Assume that hasn't been the case if they are arriving in 1 and 2s? I think everybody here is supportive but there is only so much we can wait. A bi weekly or similar update would be great... Even if nothing new, just lets us know people are working on it. We just have conflicting dealer info at present and rumors to go on.. It's no wonder enthusiasts and supporters are getting a little narked!
    Niner Air 9 Carbon, 2010 S-WORKS 26" HT/FSR, 2009 Ibis Hakkalugi, 2008 Strange 5 Alpine.

  49. #49
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    303
    Quote Originally Posted by dparry
    Thanks for the update Chris. I was expecting 300 frames to get to you guys early July from the press release. Assume that hasn't been the case if they are arriving in 1 and 2s? I think everybody here is supportive but there is only so much we can wait. A bi weekly or similar update would be great... Even if nothing new, just lets us know people are working on it. We just have conflicting dealer info at present and rumors to go on.. It's no wonder enthusiasts and supporters are getting a little narked!
    +1. Well said.

  50. #50
    mtbr member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Posts
    1,140
    I did weigh a medium frame without seatcollar or required bb insert and on digi ulti scale weight 2.98 lbs.
    Sure wish they would ship a nude version. Hey, cut down on time painting, just quick clearcoat. Many long-time carbon bike jeeks like the non-painted.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •