Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Air 9 vs MCR

mtbr member
    Jan 2013
    I'll second that. I currently have a niner air 9 hydroformed and the ride is very harsh compared to my 2 old steel framed bikes(Zion 737 and Gary Fisher Ferrous). I think the 2lb weight penalty of a steel frame is totally worth the added comfort and good looks.

650b me
    I'm with these guys. ^^^

Go with the steel frame for comfort. Funny, I'm the one who started this thread.

mtbr member
    May 2014
    Quote Originally Posted by golden boy View Post
    I went ahead and ordered a medium MCR and the Niner carbon fork.
    golden boy - thanks for chiming in to this thread. How'd that Niner carbon fork work out for you?

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by shinbone View Post
    (Bumping this older thread back up)

Anyone got any additional input to offer on the differences between the AIR and the MCR?

--shinbone
    I just cracked my four year old lightly used Air 9 frame. While I haven't ridden the MCR specifically I have two SIR9's, one now set up geared for commuting.

As everyone is saying for a 200lb social rider (sounds a lot like me) just go the rock solid reliable steel frame and go and have fun on the bike.

I only have one aluminium framed bike (amongst ummm quite a few now) and that is a Banshee Paradox because the ROS9 wasn't being built a couple of years ago. Steel, titanium and if you are a racer or like the look and feel carbon are the best frame materials for hardtail mtb's in my opinion. Aluminium gets a look in for dual suspension (again in my opinion).

650b me
    Shinbone: The Niner carbon fork was an experiment in riding rigid. Rode it that way for a month or so and decided it wasn't for me. Too harsh. Not the fork's fault. I had no trouble finding an eager buyer on eBay.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2