mtbr member
    Mar 2008

Air 9 / Sram xx compatible ??

Any body out there used the xx group on your Air 9 ??

If so which crank set did you use , Also which front derailleur works the best .

Any further insight on if its worth while would be appreciated.

I know its not cheap but what the hell. You only live once.

Thanks

Craig

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    I heard the 155mm Q-Factor XX crank will not fit (rings don't clear the chainstay) but would like to have this confirmed...

mtbr member
    According to SRAM site (I think that is where I read it), the XX stuff must all be used together; i.e. XX cranks, front der, rear der, cassette, and shifters. And also the SRAM PC1090 10 speed chain.

mtbr member
    Apr 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by anesthesia-matt
    According to SRAM site (I think that is where I read it), the XX stuff must all be used together; i.e. XX cranks, front der, rear der, cassette, and shifters. And also the SRAM PC1090 10 speed chain.

god what a dumb statement, they all say that. i'm amazed the pro-tour teams get fsa cranks to work with campy groups!

Dec 2005
    I saw an air9 with XX on it. The crankset was 28-42. The 42 just barely cleared the chainstay and I mean it would be hard to fit a piece of paper between the chainring and chainstay. Both spacers were placed on the drive side and still clearance was too tight for my liking. Then again it wasn't my bike so whatever works. Also the front derailer on that bike was SRAM XX.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by threesixeight
    I saw an air9 with XX on it. The crankset was 28-42. The 42 just barely cleared the chainstay and I mean it would be hard to fit a piece of paper between the chainring and chainstay. Both spacers were placed on the drive side and still clearance was too tight for my liking. Then again it wasn't my bike so whatever works. Also the front derailer on that bike was SRAM XX.
    So it doesn't really fit then. Assuming it is a 2009 Air9 with the 73mm shell you wouldn't use two spacers on the drive side. The frame I heard about was using the 39 tooth big ring and it didn't clear the chainstay. I'd say Niner needs to go back to the drawing board, that is a big problem for them.

Dec 2005
    It was an 09 air9 so yes it is fair to say that XX doesn't fit without some modifications(2 spacers on drive side with 28-42 rings).

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Niner emailed me back when I asked this question a couple weeks ago. They said that either on the two Q-factor XX cranks will work, but that you needed to stick to the 39/26 option.

I honestly can't imagine how the 155 would clear the stays (crank arms).... I think under pedaling load that it would make contact.

The chainrings are located in the same place on either of the two width option cranks.

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Went to the XX website Did the measurements This is what I came up with.

Crank to chainstay clearance Q 156 6.2mm
    Q 164 10 mm
    Q 166 11 mm

Currently I have 11mm with the Noir XC 3.3 Crank on my Medium Air 9

So I guess if I was to spend the big bucks I would go with the Q166 and 39 x 26

$ 2310,00 Ouch

mtbr member
    May 2011
    I bought a 2011 Air 9 Carbon that I put nearly full XX group on including 175mm 156Q-factor XX cranks. The cranks work fin, but I am having trouble with the front derailleur being tough to shift. I replaced the shift levers once after about five rides. I had another 2-3 rides then just raced Leadville last weekend. The bike worked well but I still had difficulty with my front shifter. To get down to my low ring I had to push the small thumb lever then wiggle it back out a bit, before it would shift down. I am not sure what I am going to do about it - maybe go to a Sram dealer. It is a royal pain in the ass to re-cable the thing (have to take off cranks and remove BB).

I will also mention that this is light as hell - XL Air 9 at 22 pounds and feels great climbing on it, although it was a bit of a change going from my 180mm XTR cranks on my 2011 Tallboy to the 175mm on a hardtail.