mtbr member

Air 9 RDO or Air 9 Carbon

If given the choice would you purchase a used 2 yr old Air 9 carbon with XT or a new Air 9 RDO niner 2 star build with mostly SLX group? Both are around the same price. Is the RDO a better frame than the carbon?

mtbr member

Air 9 RDO or Air 9 Carbon

The RDO has a half pound lighter frame and is also more trail compliant (more give in the seat stays). The RDO has a BB30 bottom bracket whereas the Air 9 carbon has an adaptable BB that allows for a Singlespeed setup.

The low end parts on your RDO will make it a heavier and poorer performing bike. If given those two choices I'd go with the Air 9 carbon

reading comprehension wat

Research and think for yourself, paying more attention to the objective facts and differences, and you'll find the best choice for you. No need to rely on others' opinions, when all it turns out to be is a popularity poll, possibly making you even more indecisive.

The above post is cool, since he points out differences he likes, which may draw your attention to see how much value such differences have. Don't forget warranty, but don't forget that, generally, low end parts may start out working as nicely as high end stuff, but they deteriorate in performance much sooner than high end parts do, especially if improperly maintained. The higher quality stuff tends to resist poor treatment and neglect better, which is nice for those looking for something with better fit and forget reliability. I think he's kind of saying, the extra stiffness in the A9C, combined with the lighter total weight, more reliable components, and versatility in the BB leads to a light and responsive ride feel that can make it more fun, with options to refresh the fun (single speed), at least if you have preferences like his.

I picked an Air 9 RDO, because it was from Competitive Cyclist, knowing they have a great return policy, was on sale for a good price, and I liked the color. I did do a "little" research, but it's probably a bit much to fit in a single post, even as a summary. I'm a type that adapts to the equipment, to ride them to the limits of their design, settling in their sweet spot anyways, so probably would've been happy on any of my narrowed down choices. I just happened to go for the most value, attracted by the sale. My point is, you just got to know yourself and research. A little google fu will go a long way over opinions here... the best the opinions here could do for you is to "verify" your own hunch or instinct.

BTW, what's a good solution to solving the A9C's subpar shifting, besides going single speed? Will a gore ride-on or similar cable bring it up to par?
    Last edited by dv8xin; 04-23-2013 at 07:33 PM.
    I like to jump to conclusions, oversimplify, gossip, and participate in popularity polls.

mtbr member
    When you say a brand new Air 9 RDO you mean you are the first owner purchasing from a shop? Keep in mind, any used 9er frame has no warranty where as a new one does.

mtbr member
    The Air 9 RDO would be new, the Air 9 carbon is a few years old.

mtbr member
    Oct 2006
    Get the RDO if you want to run it geared, get the A9C if you think you might run is SS sometime.

I have both currently and ran an A9C geared a couple years ago. I ended up just zip tying full length housing to the rear brake line and then to the DS seat stay, because the internal routing was such a disaster.

mtbr member
    So if I buy the used bike the warranty is voided? Can't find info on Niners website.

mtbr member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Smilerz View Post
    So if I buy the used bike the warranty is voided? Can't find info on Niners website.
    Niner Bikes will warranty carbon products with the C5 Warranty for a
    minimum period of five (5) years from the date of purchase for the original
    owner only
    (emphasis added, NINER ENCYCLOPEDIA, Updated: MAR 08, 2013, page 8, col. 1, first para).

I don't think I would say the warranty is voided. I would say Niner may not honor the warranty for subsequent purchasers. However, the distinction does not alter the impact - i.e. don't expect warranty support for purchase of used frame.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dv8xin View Post

Research and think for yourself, paying more attention to the objective facts and differences, and you'll find the best choice for you. No need to rely on others' opinions, when all it turns out to be is a popularity poll, possibly making you even more indecisive.

The above post is cool, since he points out differences he likes, which may draw your attention to see how much value such differences have. Don't forget warranty, but don't forget that, generally, low end parts may start out working as nicely as high end stuff, but they deteriorate in performance much sooner than high end parts do, especially if improperly maintained. The higher quality stuff tends to resist poor treatment and neglect better, which is nice for those looking for something with better fit and forget reliability. I think he's kind of saying, the extra stiffness in the A9C, combined with the lighter total weight, more reliable components, and versatility in the BB leads to a light and responsive ride feel that can make it more fun, with options to refresh the fun (single speed), at least if you have preferences like his.

I picked an Air 9 RDO, because it was from Competitive Cyclist, knowing they have a great return policy, was on sale for a good price, and I liked the color. I did do a "little" research, but it's probably a bit much to fit in a single post, even as a summary. I'm a type that adapts to the equipment, to ride them to the limits of their design, settling in their sweet spot anyways, so probably would've been happy on any of my narrowed down choices. I just happened to go for the most value, attracted by the sale. My point is, you just got to know yourself and research. A little google fu will go a long way over opinions here... the best the opinions here could do for you is to "verify" your own hunch or instinct.

BTW, what's a good solution to solving the A9C's subpar shifting, besides going single speed? Will a gore ride-on or similar cable bring it up to par?
    Hi,
    I use the full length option for the rear, bypass the bottom bracket cable chuck and route the outer housing above the ebb aluminium shell. I use an old outer to route it in, bit of a pain but with practice it gets easy! I also use the newer style cable chuck from niner (this is the plastic type with nylon sleeves, you will find it on the niner site).

Cheers Craig