Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast

Thread: Air 9 pics

Let There Be Dirt

Ski29er...

Throw this on and your done!
    Last edited by BSIDE; 10-08-2009 at 01:13 PM.

Full of hot air
    Tastes like carbon

mtbr member
    Jun 2006
    nice touch with the alternating carbon/ano blue headset spacers.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by thesergeant
    Well, here's mine:

Great build...dig the Silver/White combo....a little off topic, but did you have any problems getting your SM8 to seal & hold air?? You are running it Tubeless, yeah?

Keep on Rockin...

A little help here all you Niner fans...

I'd like to pull the trigger on a One 9 this Spring.

I'm 185# and like to ride my HTs in an out-of-the-saddle, stand and mash style (not a sit and spin guy). The frame is superlight and I'm worried it could get a little wiggly.

How does the BB area hold up against frame flex?

I've narrowed my choice down to an Air 9 and a Salsa Mamasita.
    Last edited by Miker J; 02-25-2009 at 06:26 AM. Reason: ops

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miker J
    I'd like to pull the trigger on a One 9 this Spring.

I'm 185# and like to ride my HTs in an out-of-the-saddle, stand and mash style (not a sit and spin guy). The frame is superlight and I'm worried it could get a little wiggly.

How does the BB area hold up against frame flex?

I've narrowed my choice down to a One 9 and a Salsa Mamasita.
    I am 200lbs, like to stand and mash too and the Air9 & One9 reward that style w/ instant forward motion....zero frame flex....stiff, fast, & light.

I don't ride enough!
    Oct 2007
    Clear Springs, MS
    Attached Images Attached Images

Go Fast, Take Chances.
    Here is mine, just built it up last night. Unfortunately didn't get to ride it today. Will be taking it out tomorrow or Tuesday. For more info on the build look at the thread Tangerine Dream.

mtbr member
    nice...

mtbr member
    Mar 2004

The kool-aid tastes good

Nice bikes one and all.

Here's my new baby. Only one ride on it (pavement and gravel trails only), but race season's a comin'. I'm a happy camper.
    Attached Images Attached Images

mtbr member
    Beautiful build....like how subtle, but sexy it is....that thing is gonna be F A S T!

mtbr member
    Mar 2007
    love this build....can you list your build specs?

Quote Originally Posted by pughww
    This was just built up in December, mostly silver with some red accents.

mtbr member
    Nov 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by 800-lb-gorilla
    Nice bikes one and all.

Here's my new baby. Only one ride on it (pavement and gravel trails only), but race season's a comin'. I'm a happy camper.
    I have yet to get a pair of bar wraps to look that good. Can you share your technique with us?

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    800-lb-gorilla,

I'm having my Niner built up soon and I'll be using Stans Flows rims and the same tires you used - Crossmarks. The 29" Crossmarks's aren't available in a UST version. Did you run yours tubeless, and did you have any problems? So far, I told the LBS to just mount the tires with tubes, but maybe I'm making a mistake? Is there much weight to be saved in this case by going tubeless - would the extra rim tape and sealant weigh about the same as a tube?

mtbr member
    Mar 2004
    Thanks for the kind comments

@Chasing Tail: It seems to work best with bar tape that doesn't stretch much. This stuff is Stella Azzurra Eleganza (although it's available from other manufacturers as well). Fizik tape works well, too, although it's not as cushy. I put a little mark with a sharpie at the same distance from the end of the bar on each side to make sure the wrap length is equal on each side. I make a diagonal cut on the tape at the start of the wrap instead of tucking it in between the end of the bar and the bar plug, start at the end of the bar and do 3 layers ending in the middle. The stitching on the eleganza bar tape helps you keep things even. These are Hope bar end plugs. Less risk of getting them pulled out in a trail mishap than the plugs that come with the tape.

@CoastieTX: I'm running them tubeless with stan's yellow tape and lightweight valve stem. Not sure if that combination also works on the Flows--the notubes website will tell you. Both the crossmax and ignitor aired up pretty easily with just a floor pump. The crossmark leaked a bit more air around the bead than the ignitor, but they both hold air just fine after the sealant got sloshed around well. The tape/rim strip/sealant will be slightly lighter than a tube, but the big advantage is being able to run lower pressures without the risk of pinch flatting. There's a lot more discussion in the 29er and Wheels and Tires forums on the the specific's of the Stan's rims. The Crossmark's a pretty popular and apparently reliable tire with tubeless conversions.

Hope this helps.

mtbr member
    Oct 2007
    gorilla,

Thanks for the info. If there's not a significant weight difference, I'll probably just go with tubes first and see how that works for my riding here.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by CoastieTX
    gorilla,

Thanks for the info. If there's not a significant weight difference, I'll probably just go with tubes first and see how that works for my riding here.
    Stans tubeless isn't necessarily about the weight. It's about getting all of the benefits of tubeless without a weight penalty.

mtbr member
    Feb 2007
    AIR9 23.5 pound for a large.team bike mike.JPG
    Mike

mtbr member
    Jan 2007
    Do you have a built list...Looks like you have all the good stuff there. I thought it would be closer to 22 pounds....Looks nice!!!
    www.metalmtncycling.com ]Try Hammer Nutrition, 15% off first order. www.hammernutrition.com/affiliates/106898

mtbr member
    Here's mine. Built up more as a trail bike than a light race bike. Rides nice. I think it's a keeper!
    Photobucket

a couple gratuitous trail shots while I was out:

Photobucket

Photobucket

mtbr member
    Dec 2008
    In an attempt to live vicariously through others, does anyone have pics of a raw Air 9 with the white/raw carbon Niner fork on it? That's what I have in mind for myself. Maybe something like that was kicking around at Sea Otter and someone took some photos.

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    Got mine back yesterday after being recovered by the cops and a local scwinn dealer who i owe beer for life to....

mtbr member
    banksd1983 - What's up with the nasty crosschain, am I missing something?

mtbr member
    Jun 2007
    just the way i had the chain at the moment, never ride that way of course

mtbr member
    Mar 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by shapelike
    In an attempt to live vicariously through others, does anyone have pics of a raw Air 9 with the white/raw carbon Niner fork on it? That's what I have in mind for myself. Maybe something like that was kicking around at Sea Otter and someone took some photos.
    I'll have some photos of one in about a month! Raw/carbon, most likely white rims and red ano stuff.

Okay, it's not going to be RAW, but Atomic Blue. Sticking with the white rims and red ano accents though. Carbon fork in nude not until July though.
    Last edited by cycleboy; 05-15-2009 at 06:40 PM.

Page 3 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 13 ... LastLast