mtbr member
    Jun 2010

Air 9 PF30 and X0 installation questions

Hi,
    I am building my new Air 9 (aluminium) with the PF30 bottom bracket and a SRAM X0 crank.
    Since the Air 9 has a 73mm bottom bracket shell, I have only used the big (9mm) ring from the crank set.

The PF30 comes with a lot of washers.
    I now have the 2 dustcovers installed, including 1 small transparant washer on each side.

Did you also installed the transparant washers or did you not use these washers?
    The information that came with the PF30 is not very clear on this and I expect that you have to use these washers if needed (axial play).

So, I am curious if you needed these transparant washers on your Air 9.

Thanks,
    Frank

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by R1Phrankey View Post
    Hi,
    I am building my new Air 9 (aluminium) with the PF30 bottom bracket and a SRAM X0 crank.
    Since the Air 9 has a 73mm bottom bracket shell, I have only used the big (9mm) ring from the crank set.

The PF30 comes with a lot of washers.
    I now have the 2 dustcovers installed, including 1 small transparant washer on each side.

Did you also installed the transparant washers or did you not use these washers?
    The information that came with the PF30 is not very clear on this and I expect that you have to use these washers if needed (axial play).

So, I am curious if you needed these transparant washers on your Air 9.

Thanks,
    Frank
    I will have to check if I used any, I played with all variations on my Jet RDO with an XO crank and PF30. I have a pile of those clear washers sitting around, so I will have to just check if I used any at all.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have received 5 pcs with my PF30 BB. If you have 3 left you have also used 2 of them ....... :-)

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by R1Phrankey View Post
    I have received 5 pcs with my PF30 BB. If you have 3 left you have also used 2 of them ....... :-)
    Haha - I just need to get home to look at my parts bin, or my bike. Either will tell a quick story.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

USED2COULD
    Are you ready for me weak response?

1) I looked at my cranks (but didn't remove) and couldn't see any of the clear spacers
    2) I checked my parts box and found four of the clear plastic spacers....

So no more than one on the bike, and a good chance I misplaced the fifth spacer and it will likely show up in a tool box.

Sorry I wasn't of more help. It was a while ago I installed the cranks, and with past troubles maintaining torque in the 10mm crank bolt (no issues in over a year) I'm reticent to volunterily remove.
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

Moosehead
    Just the dust covers and drive side fat spacer for PF30 XO crankset install on the 73mm. SRAM install diagram below. That said it really is no problem to tweak the chainline to your liking with the clear spacers.

http://www.sram.com/sites/default/fi..._cranksets.pdf

mtbr member
    Jun 2010
    I have checked the BB and crank again. Since it is hard to tell the exact axial play, I removed the crank and placed a 3rd transparent spacer and found out that the crank was not spinning nicely anymore after tightening the hex bolt. Conclusion: 3 transparent spacers is too much.

I have now 2 transparent spacers installed, and then I can turn the pre-tension ring half a turn. I will leave it like this and will go for a ride to find out for any issues.

I think it will also work with only 1 or even 0 transparent spacers. Since these are very thin (0.5mm ?) I think that it will be very depending on frame, BB and crank tolerances how many spacers one will need. I think you will only find out by trial and error since it is very hard to check axial play correctly.