Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    mtbr member

Air 9 Frame Sale on Jenson "WOW"

Well just as I was about to pull the trigger on a 2012 EMD to go along with my 2011 EMD Jenson dropped the price on there Air 9 frames once again. At $519 how could one say no to that!! So a Raw Niner Air 9 is on the way!

USED2COULD
    Quote Originally Posted by kvklay View Post
    jenson link would great for us....thanks

Then why didn't you add it?

Niner Air 9 Frame '11 > Components > Frames > Mountain Bike frames | Jenson USA
    2x10
    '12 Niner Jet RDO 22.9 lb
    1x1
    '09 Cannondale F29er 1 20.1 lb
    '10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwaters View Post
    Well just as I was about to pull the trigger on a 2012 EMD to go along with my 2011 EMD Jenson dropped the price on there Air 9 frames once again. At $519 how could one say no to that!! So a Raw Niner Air 9 is on the way!
    Curious to know if you think the 2011 Air 9 would be a better option over the 2012 EMD.

Seems like the updated EMD frame would have some advantages over the Scandium Air 9 -- (e.g. Hydroformed and Taper Headtube on the 2012 EMD). Also Scandium frames have had some cracking issues even with the new gen chainstays. A friend of mine cracked 2 A9 Scandiums last year.

The reason I'm asking is because I have a 2012 EMD on order that I was able to get for under $470 shipped. The Jenson deal (which is an awesome one) with shipping comes to $535.

Since my EMD frame has not yet shipped, I could cancel the order and go to the Air 9 -- but before I do, I'm curios to get thoughts on the pro/con between the 2 frames.

mtbr member
    I originally was going to purchase a 2012 EMD but after talking with a few folks that owned them as well as talking with a couple dealers that had a chance to ride both and do a comparison, the hands down winner was the Air 9. Several made comments on how fast the bike was and that the scandium offered a better ride. When asked about the breakage , none of the folks I talked too that owned one had any issues. The dealer did state they had a few break but that number was pretty low. At 165lbs I can't believe I'd have an issue but I guess if I do Niner will warranty it. I really liked the looks of the new frame and thatís what was leaning me towards the new EMD but at the end of the day I was won over by the dealer comments. I figured if they were recommending the Air 9 over the EMD when they knew Iíd buy the EMD from them, it must be a better frame?? I guess I'll find out.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by tailwaters View Post
    I originally was going to purchase a 2012 EMD but after talking with a few folks that owned them as well as talking with a couple dealers that had a chance to ride both and do a comparison, the hands down winner was the Air 9. Several made comments on how fast the bike was and that the scandium offered a better ride. When asked about the breakage , none of the folks I talked too that owned one had any issues. The dealer did state they had a few break but that number was pretty low. At 165lbs I can't believe I'd have an issue but I guess if I do Niner will warranty it. I really liked the looks of the new frame and thatís what was leaning me towards the new EMD but at the end of the day I was won over by the dealer comments. I figured if they were recommending the Air 9 over the EMD when they knew Iíd buy the EMD from them, it must be a better frame?? I guess I'll find out.
    Agree, my Air9 scandium in raw is a great bike.

mtbr member
    Jan 2004
    Wow. That is a great deal and they have most colors too. They are killing the resale value for sure!
    Thanks to www.weavercycleworks.com for my awesome bike frames!

mtbr member
    Sep 2009
    Picked up a med. raw today !! I was looking to buy a green but they're all gone

mtbr member
    Mar 2009
    About to pick one of those Air 9's up from Jensen myself. I saw they have free shipping on orders of over $50. Hopefully this applies to frames also.

At Work
    ok, $400.00 more bucks to go!!!!!!!!!!!!! Damn.
    2009 Titus FTM

2009 Gary Fisher Rig

1997 Kona Ku
    (Resurection in Progress)

mtbr member
    Mine arrived today

mtbr member
    Nice to see lots of builds, I got mine from Jensen before Christmas when they had a $499 deal. I've slowly acquired all the parts but still debating/trying to find a deal on a fork. What are most people putting on Airs? I'm assuming Rebas RL/RLTs but I'm open to options.

A few glamor shots...

mtbr member
    Great looking frame.
    Pedal Dammit!

mtbr member
    Jan 2012
    and i took the last M green.... which arrived on the 27th!

mtbr member
    It took me 4 days to decide on what color. I don't think I've googled niner air9 pics some much as I did before I placed the order. And just when I decided to go white and chnaged it to the Raw color. Funny thing is I originally wanted the Kermit Green. Now I'm just plain silver (raw). But I like it!!!

Daniel the Dog
    Mar 2008
    Does that frame come with suspension?

mtbr member
    Jul 2008
    good frame

mtbr member
    Sep 2008
    i also got the cyber monday sale of 499. small raw is what i went with and am now slowly building it up. only a few small parts to go. can't wait to ride it.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    I was going to get a Santa Cruz Highball to build up as a 'spare' bike to the Tallboy but this price is too hard to pass up. Think I'm gonna go raw which is way outside the box for me. I alreayd have a set of Stan's Arches with Swiss DT240s on the way from Mikesee at Lace Mine 29 - Big Bicycle Wheels - then I'll probably build it up with XO.

mtbr member
    Great deal- I think I am headed that way...

mtbr member
    Apr 2009
    How about the EMD for $200 less? It is only about100 grams more. I talked with a welder a while ago and he said the whole "Scandium thing" was more about maintaining consistancy in the welds with the frame material. He also said it would have nothing to do with how the bike rides.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Olyoyster View Post
    How about the EMD for $200 less? It is only about100 grams more. I talked with a welder a while ago and he said the whole "Scandium thing" was more about maintaining consistancy in the welds with the frame material. He also said it would have nothing to do with how the bike rides.
    The scandium doesn't change the ride quality, the tube thickness does. The scandium allows thinner butted tubes to be welded consistently as he said.

mtbr member
    Everything I've read states the scandium offers a superior ride. I have both a 2011 EMD and a 2011 Air 9. I've gotten one ride in on the Air 9 and it was a short one. Plus I have a carbon seat post on the Air 9 other than that they are the same build. First impression was the Air 9 had a smoother ride but in all fairness I think a lot of that had to do with the seat post. I plan on swapping them out and do a back to back comparison when the weather permits.

mtbr member
    Oct 2010
    I had a raw Air 9 that i put over 5,000 miles on with zero issues, and i'm about 210 lbs. I sold it a year ago to go CF but i miss it so i just pulled the trigger on a large white Air 9 on the Jensen sale. Too good to pass up... I'm thinking Lefty setup on this one!

mtbr member
    I had a 2011 Air 9 for 10 months-- sold the frame in October to build up a SIR 9. I set up with carbon seatpost and handlebar.

The stiffness of the frame made for a very crisp and fast race rig. However it was not IMO a great set up for longer rides (2+ hours) or endurance races. The stiffness of the scandium felt like a jack hammer on my lower back.

I have been riding my SIR 9 for 2 months now with essentially the same set up as what I had on the Air 9 since I swapped most of the parts over. The ride on the SIR 9 is noticeably smoother vs. the Air 9 but there is weight penalty that comes with the steel frame.

I have to admit that I do miss the Air 9 and almost pulled the trigger on the Jenson deal but ultimately opted for the 2012 EMD frame instead as I already know what to expect from the Air 9S. I plan to set the EMD up as a geared HT and keep my SIR as a SS.

We'll see how it goes.
    Last edited by quelocotony; 02-11-2012 at 10:12 AM.

mtbr member
    Apr 2010
    Picked up a raw frame today at the Jenson Warehouse on the way home from a ride on SART...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast