mtbr member
    Jul 2007

Air 9 Carbon - Fully Rigid?

Okay, so I'm thinking really seriously about taking the plunge on an Air 9 Carbon. Current ride is a Specy Marathon 29er w/ a Fox Float (100mm I believe). I'm really drawn to the visual appeal of the rigid carbon Niner forks, love the way they look on the Air 9 c.

So, my question is this: Would locking out my current fork on my current bike give me ANY reasonable approximation as to what to expect if I go the full rigid route on the Niner? I understand my fork has a "blow off" valve or whatever it's called, but would it be at least somewhat similar? I haven't ridden a fully rigid bike (on dirt) in maybe 18 years.

Thanks...

mtbr member
    I don't believe it would. The carbon fork weighs around 550 gms and having a super light front end makes the bike so easy to chuck around.

Also the carbon soaks up loads of trail noise/chatter, way more than the 953 Niner fork on my winter bike.

FTR: I have the Niner carbon fork on a One9.

mtbr member
    A locked out fox or Reba fork does not even compare to a rigid fork. The rigid fork is lighter, more responsive, and harsher in all aspects. I just went rigid this year with a Nuke Proof carbon fork, which likely not as nice as the Niner brand and it is the cats meow. I really prefer to ride my rigid ti frame over my Titus Racer X 29er.
    C-DALE FLASH 29 Carbon 2 (19.6 lbs)
    C-DALE BB1

mtbr member
    Jul 2004
    Iam putting a white carbon niner fork on the front of my white epic 29er. I have a steel fork on there now have had n there for 4 months now lookin forward to the niner fork. The brain and the ridge fork climbing bliss just fast period.
    "It Is What It Is" Phil 4:13
    B-Ray Da Beast

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by architectx

So, my question is this: Would locking out my current fork on my current bike give me ANY reasonable approximation as to what to expect if I go the full rigid route on the Niner? I understand my fork has a "blow off" valve or whatever it's called, but would it be at least somewhat similar? I haven't ridden a fully rigid bike (on dirt) in maybe 18 years.

Thanks...
    No, it's really totally different. I ended up riding a riding a good part of the first 40 miles in the Laramie Enduro "locked out" by accident. Sure felt like 20-30mm of travel at least. In fact, going from a Maxxis Ardent 2.4" front and Maxxis Ignitor for 3 months - then going to Maxxis Aspens front/rear really changes the A9C feel as well.

Brett
    Last edited by 2melow; 08-22-2010 at 10:02 PM.
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator