mtbr member
    Oct 2005

Air 9 Carbon EBB

Just started building a new air 9 carbon but i was suprised the ebb fits so tight. I really have to twist to get it in the shell. It so tight it's taking the annodizing off the ebb. Are they supposed to be this tight. I have carbogrip ready to go but i really don't see how it will work considering how tight the EBB is. I am finding it impossible to tension the chain as well.

Are the EBB's supposed to drop in the frame or are they really tight. It is a brand new frame that i waited over 2 months for.

mtbr member
    haha I feel you, the tighter the better. With the carbo grip spray in there its a mess ebb becomes tough to tension like you said. I just try to line the chain up as best as possible with one crank on I've done it so many times I just know where the bolt should line up. Make sure its between 3 and 6..

With all the issues I don't understand why Niner does not have a video on proper installation and a life time supply of carbo grip.

i don't give a shift
    If it's that tight already don't use Carbogrip. You'll have a heck of a time if you need to readjust chain tension or take it apart. Grease the sucker instead. Are both sides tight? On the 3 frames I went through I found the drive side tight and the non-drive side with play. From personal experience, I'd throw the original EBB on Ebay and get a Bushnell.
    blogging at 29in.ch

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    Both sides are super tight. I have been looking at the bushnell and that is plan b.

mtbr member
    Oct 2004
    Busnell...should be Plan A.......Don't put yourself through the headache of the Biocentric

mtbr member
    Oct 2005
    I called niner and the EBB is way to tight. It sould spin by hand once installed. Looks like it is going to be a frame repacement as the shell is not perfectly round. Seems to me that the bushnell would not depend on the shell being perfect.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by npc2396 View Post
    I called niner and the EBB is way to tight. It sould spin by hand once installed. Looks like it is going to be a frame repacement as the shell is not perfectly round. Seems to me that the bushnell would not depend on the shell being perfect.
    Spin by hand I agree but once u apply the carbo grip the ebb doesnt spin so its hard to tension the chain. That stuff is so tacky like glue... So when it comes time to switch cogs u are stuck with a hot mess. You have to take apart the crank,bb,ebb and clean all the goo off its freaking horrible I will never get another Niner.

i don't give a shift
    Quote Originally Posted by npc2396 View Post
    I can confirm that. My shell is quite oval as well, more so on the drive-side. I had creaking issues until I switched to a Bushnell. The Bushnell works fine despite the oval BB shell.
    blogging at 29in.ch

wnymba-imba ~VP
    Sep 2009
    oddly enough, i had a similar issue with my air9c. i originally set it up for SS and out of 2 other one9's that was the tightest of the 3 bikes. that ebb was in there solid.
    www.wnymba.org
    Building trails and keeping them open...

Niner Air9C