mtbr member
    May 2006

Advice on Jet 9 (not RDO) build

Hi All,

I know this is not as exciting as an RDO but its my next build.

The background is I have decided my RIP9 is too much bike for me and that I only want to ride XC not AM.

I will post a pic and spec of the RIP shortly. It will be for sale in Brisbane, Australia shortly. Most probably parted out.

I have just purchased a vanilla white Jet 9 frame. The key decisions I have to make are around wheels and forks.

The bike will mainly be ridden on moderate to easy single track and fireroads, including long steep climbs. It will be my do all bike for long rides where I don't want the compromises of my Air 9 hardtail (2x9). So drivetrain will be 3x, 3x9 to start with. It won't be seriously raced although I might do a few events.

Wheel options:

1) Use the black Stan Arch / XT 20mm wheelset from the RIP. Put more XC like (lighter) tyres on and buy a fork with 20mm maxle to match. Pros I already own them and its a near new hand built wheelset. Cons white crests would be lighter and prettier on a choice of hubs/axles.

2) Use Shimano XT 29'er 9mm wheelset currently on my tourer hybrid / bike. Pros I already own them. Cons will need to stick with a 9mm QR fork.

3) Sell the Archs and buy/build a specific wheel/fork combination. Pros I get whatever I want. Cons most expensive option for maybe little benefit.

Fork options:

These partly depend on wheel choices above. Here are the things I am considering.

1) For most of my riding 100mm travel would be fine. I don't think I want 80mm geometry, I like the 100mm on my Air 9.
    2) I previously had a U turn Reba on my Epic and I liked the extra 30mm travel when descending.
    3) The frame has a tapered steerer. However for my riding style I can live with a non tapered steerer and/or 9mm QR which is what is on my Air 9.
    4) Remote lockout or a terralogic style lockout is essential for climbing efficiently.
    5) I have mainly had Rockshox forks plus a Manitou and a Marzocchi on my bikes so far. Never had Fox forks mainly due to price.

The main fork options I am considering are:

1) Reba 100mm remote lockout (XX model?), maybe buy 120mm and reduce the travel. Pros 20mm tapered steerer to match frame and Arch wheelset. Cons no travel adjust. eg eBay Australia: Buy new & used fashion, electronics & home d

2) Fox TALAS 120/95mm. Pros on the fly travel adjust. Cons most expensive and probably need to buy/build a 15mm QR front wheel(set).

3) Manitou tower pro 100mm. Pros cheapest fork to match with XT 29'er wheelset. Cons non tapered 9mm. Manitou Tower Pro Forks 29" 2012 | Buy Online | ChainReactionCycles.com

So what forks/axles/rims does everyone recommend for a do it all XC build on a Jet 9?

Note I will probably move the dropper seatpost from the RIP to the Jet.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Here is the RIP9

Changes since this photo are SLX 22/36 cranks and XT brakes. The XT crankset in the picture will go on the Jet as a triple.

Untitled by ozynigma, on Flickr

Carbon & Ti rule
    Ok
    I have had 2 Jet9's, Rip9 & Jet9 RDO
    I would put every thing over from the Rip9, 1st because you have it & then go from there after you have 300 or so KM on it & have a clear idea what you do or don't like.

If you had nothing I would say go to XX fork with 15mm T/A, Wheels with Arch EX rims & something like Racing Ralph tyres.

If buying parts I really wouldn't go away from Tapered fork with through Axle.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Ok
    I would put every thing over from the Rip9, 1st because you have it & then go from there after you have 300 or so KM on it & have a clear idea what you do or don't like.

If you had nothing I would say go to XX fork with 15mm T/A, Wheels with Arch EX rims & something like Racing Ralph tyres.

Thanks for the input muzzanic, I respect your judgement and experience.

Unfortunately I don't want to run the 140mm fork on the Jet. I am not sure how far I can reduce travel with spacers. If I can get it down to 110mm I could live with it until I change the colour. Ultimately I want a white fork on the bike.

Now that I think about it, buying a cheap 9mm non tapered fork would be silly so I will scrap that idea.

I hadn't got around to asking the tyre question but I was already leaning towards RR's in say 2.25". I am running them at 2.4" on my SIR9 rigid SS and they are working well in my local conditions.

lamer
    I might be missing where you've said what exact fork you currently have, but if you have a recent 140mm Revelation you should be able to go down to 120mm.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by llamma View Post
    I might be missing where you've said what exact fork you currently have, but if you have a recent 140mm Revelation you should be able to go down to 120mm.
    Might not have mentioned it.

Its a Reba 140 RLT ti. I can probably reduce it by 30 or 40 mm with spacers.

Three downsides to this option of running the RIP fork in the short term;
    I actually want a white fork on the bike.
    I spend money on the old fork which I then don't get back when I sell it and it will probably sell better as a 140mm.
    This model doesn't have a remote lockout.

I am leaning towards the XX fork and selling the RIP frame and fork together.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by muzzanic View Post
    Ok

Muzzanic, you are a genius. I just swapped all the parts over from the RIP to JET except the SLX cranks and FD. It was very easy, I had to cut the last RD cable outer only.

I am short one triple FD to complete the build so I will have to steal one of another bike to get it running tomorrow.

I have upped the negative air pressure in the Reba 140 which has reduced the travel by about 20mm. Not ideal but a quick way to get a feel for the bike geometry.

I found some Continental Race King 2.2's in the spare parts bin. With those installed the bike has dropped from 15.2kg to 13.2kg.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Jet 9 part built by ozynigma, on Flickr

Here it is with all the RIP gear transferred plus a scrounged XTR FD.

I have decided to go with the Reba XX 120mm, tapered and 20mm maxle. I have ordered one from a US ebayer today.

Got to say it looks better with the temporary long travel black fork than I thought it would.

The frame is in pretty good condition after a buff and a clean up, especially considering I am the third owner.

So far I am liking this more than the RIP already and I haven't even hit the trails yet. Its more my style of bike to suit my kind of riding.

For any Aussies, the RIP frame and fork are for sale on ebay

Carbon & Ti rule
    Nice build,
    Now go & ride.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    So the RIP has been couriered to its new interstate owner, the Jet has no fork and the Reba XX fork is due any day now.

So does anyone prefer 120mm over 100 mm travel on a Jet alloy frame?

If I don't reduce the travel before I mount the fork and "just try it" at 120mm I will probably never change it.

My current plan is to reduce the travel to 100mm while the for is new, unused and not yet on the bike.

Always Learning
    Quote Originally Posted by ozynigma View Post
    So the RIP has been couriered to its new interstate owner, the Jet has no fork and the Reba XX fork is due any day now.

So does anyone prefer 120mm over 100 mm travel on a Jet alloy frame?

If I don't reduce the travel before I mount the fork and "just try it" at 120mm I will probably never change it.

My current plan is to reduce the travel to 100mm while the for is new, unused and not yet on the bike.
    The JET 9's geometry works best with 80mm and 100mm forks up front. The A/C is taller on a REBA than a Fox fork, so 120mm is going to be outside the sweet spot for the JET 9. 120mm travel up front with 80mm travel in the rear will just be too mismatched of a combination.

I would suggest dropping the proper spacers in to get that new REBA down to 100mm. It's not difficult to add of remove spacers (plenty of instructions/videos all over the net).

BB

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BruceBrown View Post
    The JET 9's geometry works best with 80mm and 100mm forks up front. The A/C is taller on a REBA than a Fox fork, so 120mm is going to be outside the sweet spot for the JET 9. 120mm travel up front with 80mm travel in the rear will just be too mismatched of a combination.

I would suggest dropping the proper spacers in to get that new REBA down to 100mm. It's not difficult to add of remove spacers (plenty of instructions/videos all over the net).

BB
    Thanks BB. I was looking for that confirmation from someone who has ridden the Jet. I will probably get my mate who is a bike mechanic to do it for me for a small fee.

mtbr member
    Jul 2010
    Wheel options:

1) Use the black Stan Arch / XT 20mm wheelset from the RIP. Put more XC like (lighter) tyres on and buy a fork with 20mm maxle to match. Pros I already own them and its a near new hand built wheelset. Cons white crests would be lighter and prettier on a choice of hubs/axles.

2) Use Shimano XT 29'er 9mm wheelset currently on my tourer hybrid / bike. Pros I already own them. Cons will need to stick with a 9mm QR fork.

3) Sell the Archs and buy/build a specific wheel/fork combination. Pros I get whatever I want. Cons most expensive option for maybe little benefit.
    Option 1 & when you get the money have the rim swapped onto Crest's since ERD should be the same so spokes can be reused. That's if your happy with the hubs you have, otherwise option 3.

Fork options:

1) Reba 100mm remote lockout (XX model?), maybe buy 120mm and reduce the travel. Pros 20mm tapered steerer to match frame and Arch wheelset. Cons no travel adjust.
    That's exactly what I did just so I could get the 20QR for a stiffer front end. Also the extra 20mm overlap between the upper & lowers might help. What I wouldn't do is get the XX version again since I'm forever bleeding the remote since its leaking at the join between the hose & the fork. Depends if you need the remote or happy reaching down to twist the knob for lockout.

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Thanks Jim, I do want the remote lockout so I hope I don't have the same problem as you. The XX should be arriving today.

Interesting idea on swapping rims with same ERD, I hadn't thought of that.

I am currently contemplating buying a Banshee Paradox frame (that I don't really need I just like building and riding bikes) that I could switch the Arch wheelset to and build a new wheelset for the Jet. They would both be 20mm axle wheelsets.

mtbr member
    May 2006

Finished !!!

Well here it is finished.

I took it for its first ride today and absolutely loved it.

Its the best dually I have ever owned and ridden. It is everything I had hoped the RIP9 would be but wasn't. It is perfectly suited to my local trails and my riding style.

Fork is a Reba 120mm with 20mm through axle reduced in travel to 100mm. Wheels are the Stan's Arches off my RIP9.

Weight is about 13kg which is over 2kg lighter than the RIP9 build which had beefier tyres and flat pedals.

Carbon & Ti rule
    Very good.

Always good to see people liking the bike choice they have made.

Its the best dually I have ever owned and ridden. It is everything I had hoped the RIP9 would be but wasn't. It is perfectly suited to my local trails and my riding style.

Fork is a Reba 120mm with 20mm through axle reduced in travel to 100mm. Wheels are the Stan's Arches off my RIP9.

Weight is about 13kg which is over 2kg lighter than the RIP9 build which had beefier tyres and flat pedals.

NMBP
    Looks great, love the white!

USED2COULD

It does look great as others have said. Sounds like a blast to ride.
    I have a set of those tires that came OE on one of my bikes and I find them a little unnerving. If you start to feel like you need more grip, there are a number of lighter and gripper options.

But like you said, if it is perfect for your trails, rock on!
    '12 Jet 9 RDO 22.9 lb
    '14 Rip 9 | Pike 140mm 26.6
    10 Sanderson Soloist 23.8 lb Stolen
    '09 Hammer 29'er 20.5 lb

mtbr member
    May 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by NS2000X View Post
    It does look great as others have said. Sounds like a blast to ride.
    I have a set of those tires that came OE on one of my bikes and I find them a little unnerving. If you start to feel like you need more grip, there are a number of lighter and gripper options.

But like you said, if it is perfect for your trails, rock on!
    Lighter and grippier, I note you didn't add cheaper, pray tell what you would suggest?

Also I am willing to trade off a bit of traction for fast rolling efficiency on this bike and I like round profile rather than squared off knobs.

The bike felt great for the conditions the tyres were adequate and just what I had sitting in storage from when I picked them up cheap on sale somewhere.

What do you think of the Small Block 8's, I have a set of those on my Air9 which I am thinking of replacing with semi slicks so they would be available for the Jet9?

What about the Aspens? I have read some good things about them.

I am running Racing Ralph 2.4's on my SIR9 rigid SS and they are working fine too.

Thanks for the feedback all.

PS note the marks on the staunchions, used 92 of 100mm travel on the first ride, so fork is set up just about spot on first go

Carbon & Ti rule
    Lighter and grippier, I note you didn't add cheaper, pray tell what you would suggest?

Also I am willing to trade off a bit of traction for fast rolling efficiency on this bike and I like round profile rather than squared off knobs.

The bike felt great for the conditions the tyres were adequate and just what I had sitting in storage from when I picked them up cheap on sale somewhere.

What do you think of the Small Block 8's, I have a set of those on my Air9 which I am thinking of replacing with semi slicks so they would be available for the Jet9?

What about the Aspens? I have read some good things about them.

I am running Racing Ralph 2.4's on my SIR9 rigid SS and they are working fine too.

Thanks for the feedback all.

PS note the marks on the staunchions, used 92 of 100mm travel on the first ride, so fork is set up just about spot on first go
    Racing Ralph's are good, I didn't like the race kings either.