mtbr member

Adjusting newer EBB help

so I am having trouble with my ebb or cranks.

If i lossen the ebb side bolt, the ebb is snug as hell. I have to remove the crank arm bolt and shake it loose by pressing the cranks back and forth(xtr m970's).

From what i just read I dont need to use the 2.5mm spacers on each side before the BB is installed since its 73mm according to shimanos instructions for xtr's.

Any info appreciated.

mtbr member
    For a 73mm BB you only need a spacer on the drive-side. That said I'm having the same problem with trying to adjust the EBB. I tried what Niner said, which is to put an allen wrench into the driveside bolt hole, and use it as a lever against the spider to turn the EBB. This didn't really work and marred the spider. So I'd be interested to here any ideas.

mtbr member
    I had the same problrm with M960 cranks. With the non-driveside snugged up the EBB will not move. Seems that the preload on the bearing locks up the EBB.

The fix is to remove the non-driveside crank arm, loosen the EBB bolt and then follow Niners instructions (ie insert 6mm allen wrench and use it as a lever).

When you have the correct tension snug up the EBB bolt and re-install the crank arm.

mtbr member
    What a load of crap............. I want the old one back, or maybe they will put a sliding drop out on a new style if they ever update anything.

mtbr member
    I don't think it's that bad, takes 2 minutes extra on the adjustment.

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by driver bob
    I don't think it's that bad, takes 2 minutes extra on the adjustment.
    Yeah, I'll take the two extra minutes. I've had nothing but problems with sliding dropouts, from trying to center the wheel and slippage problems. I'm loving the EBB just not those two minutes.
    Last edited by ne_dan; 08-19-2010 at 06:19 AM.

mtbr member
    With the 970's you don't need to remove the crank arm. Simply loosen the 2.5 mm allen on the p/l adjuster on the non-drive side and back it off a half turn and then loosen the 6 mm on the EBB and it should rotate effortlessly. The preload adjuster on the cranks only needs to be finger tight.

mtbr member
    I just dont want to buy the tool to take the arms off....

.RJ
    mtbr member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by need4gforce
    I just dont want to buy the tool to take the arms off....
    A $5 tool?