mtbr member

Adjustable seat post - RIP 9 Large - 400mm fits?

Getting a RIP 9, want an adjustable seat post.

The one I want is 400mm long (the Kind Shock 950R), will that fit in a RIP 9 of Large size? Niner recommends a 350mm post, not sure if that the maximum size or minimum. Anyone with experience please let me know.

I used the KS 950R on my Ibis Mojo and it fit fine, and that has a 21" seat post. With the Niner being 20", I'll have enough room on the top, but I'm not sure if it's too long on the bottom and will hit the inside of the seatpost or something like that.

Thanks in advance!

Moderator Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by schnee
    Getting a RIP 9, want an adjustable seat post.

The one I want is 400mm long (the Kind Shock 950R), will that fit in a RIP 9 of Large size? Niner recommends a 350mm post, not sure if that the maximum size or minimum. Anyone with experience please let me know.

I used the KS 950R on my Ibis Mojo and it fit fine, and that has a 21" seat post. With the Niner being 20", I'll have enough room on the top, but I'm not sure if it's too long on the bottom and will hit the inside of the seatpost or something like that.

Thanks in advance!

My Thomson 410mm post drops 9.5inches, or 241mm in the frame before it bottoms out. I don't have direct experience with the KS950R, but hope the insertion depth of my Thomson might help.

Brett
    Niner Bikes employee. http://www.facebook.com/pages/Niner-...3652275?ref=ts
    Front Range Forum Moderator

mtbr member
    Thank you! That's exactly what I need to measure for the post.

Flaccid Member
    If you talk directly to the man at Gravity Dropper in Montana, he can build you what ever length seat post you need for your bike. I'm 6'5" and had them build me a 450mm seat post, so that I would have enough post inserted in the frame, with my 6'5" height. Be sure to ask for at least 4 or more inches of shim spacer if you run the seat post close to fully extended in the frame, 6 inches is better.
    "i'll brazilian when YOU do boy, right around the ol' rusty star. Actually, whole fruit bowl. Get on it!" NicoleB

mtbr member
    Thanks, good to know.

I got a KS i950r. (I admit, I chose it over GD for aesthetics.) It's a long post, and has plenty for the bike to wrap around. My legs are not long for my height (I wear 32 inseam jeans and I'm 6'-2") so I don't think I have the same issues as you.

Appreciate the info on GD for sure. Filed for future reference.