BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Adjustable headset on original WFO???

I'm trying to research a thread about some headset manufacturer that makes an adjustable headset for a zero-inset headset use on the original WFO. I recall someone locating this item overseas I believe. Can't find the thread now... Anyone got a lead for me???

Thanks!!!

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    Look for SAAR (+ G7 i think) on the turner forum. You'll need to run a 1 1/8 fork though.

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by BMJ View Post
    I'm trying to research a thread about some headset manufacturer that makes an adjustable headset for a zero-inset headset use on the original WFO. I recall someone locating this item overseas I believe. Can't find the thread now... Anyone got a lead for me???

Thanks!!!

beater
    Quote Originally Posted by SinglePivot View Post
    Look for SAAR (+ G7 i think) on the turner forum. You'll need to run a 1 1/8 fork though.

-Sp
    No, I don't believe that's true. Saar should be able to make cups for a tapered steerer. He drew one up for me. Email him- his address is on his website. Make sure you clarify that you have the 1st-gen WFO with the integrated headset.

Ofanaim.net Head Angle Set
    "Back off, man. I'm a scientist." - Dr. Peter Venkman

Riding in Helena? Everything you need to know, right here.

mtbr member
    Dec 2003
    He suggested against going w/ a tapered fork due to the amount of headset insertion depth (lack of).

-Sp

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post
    No, I don't believe that's true. Saar should be able to make cups for a tapered steerer. He drew one up for me. Email him- his address is on his website. Make sure you clarify that you have the 1st-gen WFO with the integrated headset.

mtbr member

Angle Headset and measuring Head Angle

Is anyone using one of his angle headsets on their older WFO?

Is there an easy way to measure head angle fairly accurately?

I know my WFO's head angle has changed, but I'm not sure by how much.

I bought the Clinometer iPad/iPhone app ($.99) and tried to use it to measure my WFO's head angle, but the iPad is pretty large and with the Niner logo attached to the surface of the tapered head tube which is curved, I don't think I can get an accurate measurement.

I tried putting the iPad/Clinometer on one of the Dorado legs just above the stanchions (which showed about 68 degrees).

I would like to know what my current WFO HA is (my Dorado Pro 29er that has been slid down a bit in the mounts).

BMJ
    "42 lbs and climbing!"

Thank for the info!!!

Quote Originally Posted by evasive View Post

This exactly the site I was looking for. I'll have to contact them about the fit on my frame in regards to my integrated headset and tapered steerer though.

mtbr member
    I ordered a custom head angle set from Saar (1.5 degree tapered - even though I am currently using 1 1/8 forks - I supposedly can still use a reducer).

He said I should be able to use it on either my WFO or RIP as long as the head tube lengths are within +/- 5 mm of each other.

Is anyone using one?

mtbr member
    Quote Originally Posted by jbsocal View Post
    I ordered a custom head angle set from Saar (1.5 degree tapered - even though I am currently using 1 1/8 forks - I supposedly can still use a reducer).

He said I should be able to use it on either my WFO or RIP as long as the head tube lengths are within +/- 5 mm of each other.

Is anyone using one?
    I want to order the same head angle set soon for my RIP... Could you post pics of yours when you get it installed? I now it'll add some stack height top and bottom, Im just hoping it won't look too out of place.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member

I have it installed on my WFO but

I ordered the option from Saar for a tapered fork 1.5 degree, even though my Dorado is straight 1 1/8.

Unfortunately I'm not a wrench, so I'm still somewhat headset "illiterate".

The LBS told me it would have been better if the angle was in the bottom cup instead of the top (not sure if that would have happened if I ordered the option for a straight steerer vs. tapered bottom cup).

The LBS said if the angle was at the bottom, then the steerer would probably not have rubbed a bit on the back of the head tube.

I don't remember what the inside of my WFO head tube looked like.

The original bearing did not fit into the new top cup (the LBS had to use parts from another new $80 headset that seemed to fit properly - they did not mention the exact headset they used - not sure if it was 41 mm instead of 41.8 mm or vice versa).

Saar mentioned he would remake the top cup to fit my current bearing (but the LBS was able to install it with a different bearing).

I lucked out, the LBS should have charged me extra to use a part from a new headset.

Since I don't have the old bearing, I cannot measure it and I don't want to disassemble the new one...so I'm not sure what the size differences were.

Note: the LBS asked me if my frame was under warranty (it is not). I told them to go ahead and file down slightly the back of the head tube so that the steerer would not rub, if in their judgement it would not compromise the integrity of my head tube. I will post if any future cracks develop.

I assume this slight rubbing would also occur on a RIP (which is probably why Niner modified their head tube design to accomodate the newer angle headsets).

It is hard to measure the new head angle, but the wheel base increased enough that my WFO would not fit in my pickup truck like it did before the change. I had to angle the WFO more to fit it in my Nissan Frontier with the Thule Insta-gator.

I measured the head angle at 68 with my 2011 Dorado 29er Pro before installing the new headset, I think it might be between 67 and 66 now.

I only had one short ride on it, the front end seems a bit lighter on steeper climbs (I'm still a fairly inexperienced rider).

Unfortunately my knees are still a bit swollen from last week's ride, so it was more of an easier XC ride and I only rolled down a few rocks.

Sorry, I didn't have time to take pictures yet.

I probably should not have changed out the rear shock at the same time...it might have been easier to feel how my bike handling changed with only a change to the front end.

My 2010 RIP is still under warranty, so I will decide later if I want to install one on it also. I think my RIP might be a bit slacker already with my WB Fluid 150 installed...

mtbr member
    Here are a couple pics...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Adjustable headset on original WFO???-p1000034.jpg  

Adjustable headset on original WFO???-p1000036.jpg  

Adjustable headset on original WFO???-p1000041.jpg  

mtbr member
    Wow, those cups do look good! I was a little concerned with how the fit and finish may come out, but I'd be happy with those. I do wish the bottom one was flush with the diameter of the lower part of the head tube, but I'm ok with it. Looking forward to the final design when they are available again.
    "That's a niiiiiiiice biiike boy! That a Huffy!?"

mtbr member
    I'm running a straight steerer on my RIP (WB Fluid-150), Saar mentioned that the non tapered version has an external top cup and a zerostack eccentric bottom cup, so I might get one from him later for my RIP.

mtbr member

Head Angle Set for WFO

Hi all,

Just to clarify a couple of points.
    The headset cups are designed to fit directly with your existing headsets.
    Jbsocal's headset was sent with a 41mm top cup instead of a 42mm cup - my mistake.
    He has got a new 42mm cup in the mail.
    About the steering tube touching the frame - the inner diameter is slightly smaller than the Integrated standard, and will not allow much change for Tapered forks.
    However, as written before, the HT is beefy enough to allow a bit of material removal for the fitting of the 1.5 deg HAS.
    Angle changes below 1 deg does not require any changes to the frame.

If you are using a 1-1/8" steering tube, there is a HAS with a Zerostack bottom cup and an external top cup that has the offset at the bottom and fits well inside the HT.

As mentioned in one of the post above, I have been reluctant to produce those before, as the WFO is a DH bike and the insertion depth of the lower cup seemed a bit shallow to me.
    Further testing with different integrated cups on other bikes convinced me that the cups sit well in place and could fit the DH duties of the WFO.
    The lower cup is beefy enough at 58mm OD, yet I see there is still an aesthetic issue with it being 1.5mm narrower than the bottom part of the HT.
    I might change that in future designs if requested.

If there are any questions, feel free to ask.
    Regards
    Saar
    A different angle on bikes:
    www.ofanaim.net/has.html

mtbr member
    Aug 2008

Saar's stuff is great!

I have just fitted Saar's HAS to my 2010 WFO. His advice was dead accurate, and the quality and finish are excellent. The offset looks a little weird if you look under the stem, but in this case "weird" = very good. Most importantly, I finally have the WFO sitting just where I want it. Very happy - doesn't hurt that they are very blingy either
    Adjustable headset on original WFO???-photo5.jpg

Adjustable headset on original WFO???-photo4.jpg

Adjustable headset on original WFO???-photo2.jpg

Adjustable headset on original WFO???-saars-has.jpg

JMH
    Sugary Exoskeleton
    Quote Originally Posted by checkpoint22 View Post
    I have just fitted Saar's HAS to my 2010 WFO. His advice was dead accurate, and the quality and finish are excellent. The offset looks a little weird if you look under the stem, but in this case "weird" = very good. Most importantly, I finally have the WFO sitting just where I want it. Very happy - doesn't hurt that they are very blingy either ]
    Those look really good. Congrats!

JMH